Which are your top 3 favourite War of the Worlds cues/tracks?

Josh500

I don't have the Intrada release yet, so mine are from the OST album... 

1. "Escape from the City" 

2. "The Ferry Scene" 

3. "Escape from the Basket" (the last part, especially!) 

Adore the action cues, rather than the quieter, more subdued pieces. 

From the LaLaLand Intrada release:

"The Intersection Scene" (CD1 track 3)

"Boston Street Finale" (CD1 track 23) - I cannot really decide between this and "Defeat and Reunion" (CD1 track 22)

"Epilogue" (CD1 track 25)

Hard not to choose the huge set-pieces, which, especially as presented on the Intrada album are simply phenomenal. The big three -- "The Intersection Scene," "Escape from the City," and "The Ferry Scene" -- are, in my mind, peerless depictions of musical panic and violence.

But this expanded release is giving me appreciation of some of the less obvious, more atmospheric corners of the score. So here are three underdogs:

"Surveying the Wreckage/Watch the Lightning"

"Woods Walk"

"Harlan Ogilvy"

Wow, can't wait to get this release!

It just occurred to me, "Driving Away from Trouble" sounds kinda underwhelming. Earth is being attacked and enslaved by giant alien machines, and I'm just driving away from this pesky little trouble... 😂 

Difficult. I'm terrible at tracks in general, but even moreso in a case like WOTW which is such a coherent, singular piece. It's more a set, dystopian mood that ebbs and flows throughout its running time. The whole OST is really like one long track. But I guess if I had to choose, it would be "The Intersection Scene" which is mentioned by several others already.

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

Difficult. I'm terrible at tracks in general, but even moreso in a case like WOTW which is such a coherent, singular piece. It's more a set, dystopian mood that ebbs and flows throughout its running time. The whole OST is really like one long track. But I guess if I had to choose, it would be "The Intersection Scene" which is mentioned by several others already.

Yeah, but to make a little easier to choose, I asked for 3 favourite cues or tracks... 

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Wow, can't wait to get this release!

It just occurred to me, "Driving Away from Trouble" sounds kinda underwhelming. Earth is being attacked and enslaved by giant alien machines, and I'm just driving away from this pesky little trouble... 😂 

If I am not mistaken, "from Trouble" is a Matessino/Intrada addition, and the original cue title is just "Driving Away"!

13 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

If I am not mistaken, "from Trouble" is a Matessino/Intrada addition, and the original cue title is just "Driving Away"!

You're mistaken.

image.png

Red Planet (Amazing BRASS and recalls a lot of CE3K in the atonal bits)

Driving Away From Trouble (Just ferocious without being messy)

The Entrance to Boston (I am a sucker for Williams' military material, and this is welcome relief when it arrives)