From what Williams score you would like to have a re-recording?

GerateWohl

Heartbeeps gets my vote.   Recorded without synth.  

It's woefully misunderstood and misjudged.  It's got proto-E.T. style material, and an achingly beautiful love theme that people can't seem to appreciate because of the synths and the film to which it is attached.  Williams was having fun, and it comes through in a smaller score sandwiched between Raiders and E.T. in his chronology.

I usually don't care for re-recordings because I think art is a one and done deal.  

6 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Heartbeeps gets my vote.   Recorded without synth.  

No, the synths should be there. They are perfect. A product of its time, but done carefully. HEARTBEEPS gets a bad rap, but it's a nice score, warts included.

I agree with you, Thor.

I adore the synth, and wish the Varese notes gave more information about how it was done and recorded, and what was used.  The first few seconds of the Main Title sound like Johns Williams and Carpenter had a baby.

I just feel it doesn't get the love it deserves.    As I said in my post, I think it's perfect, but I think listeners have difficulty hearing the quality of the writing through the style.  I don't need a re-recording of anything.  But an all acoustic Heartbeeps would be a fun experiment.

We get expansions or chronologic changes to cues that cause fans to "re-assess".   Imagine what an orchestral version of Heartbeeps could do to elevate the score's reputation.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:05 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

I always thought the Gerhardt recording was quite well regarded?

For some reason it is, but I still think it's the only Gerhardt film music recording that doesn't live up to his usual high standards.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:21 PM, Thor said:

I'm more talking group psychology here. I just find it fascinating that such a super-well-represented score tops the lists of JW scores people would like to have rerecorded.

1. The SW OT scores are perennial favourites of many (me included), often with a special emotional connection for being our entry point to the world of film music.

2. They don't sound as good as they could.

3. They're among the most "symphonic" of scores, even from Williams' blockbuster catalogue, and as such lend themselves better than most for being re-recorded. Their entire make up is closer to that of symphonic concert music than that of most other film music.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:30 PM, Edmilson said:

I want the Star Wars scores to be re-recorded with fart and burp sounds manipulated electronically. RC could be responsible for it.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

1. The SW OT scores are perennial favourites of many (me included), often with a special emotional connection for being our entry point to the world of film music.

3. They're among the most "symphonic" of scores, even from Williams' blockbuster catalogue, and as such lend themselves better than most for being re-recorded. Their entire make up is closer to that of symphonic concert music than that of most other film music.

There's some logic to that, I suppose -- even though I do not share this particular craving. 

Guess I'm just extra concerned with getting all the completely unreleased titles out there, first and foremost. Original tracks if possible, re-recorded if not.

I like Bespins proposal of getting a recording of the arrangements for the life to screen arrangements for the OT.

Or having a collected recording of all the orchestra suites of the nine star wars films as far as they exist, including the new Han Solo and the Princess arrangement, the adagio from The Force Awakens and this Jabber the Hutt Tuba piece from Return of the Jedi.

By the way, one of my favourite star wars tracks unfortunately never gets performed in concert halls: "The little people work". Why? WHY? It's so great.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I place it above his Jedi re-recording.

I consider Gerhardt's takes on Approaching the Death StarInto the Trap, and the orchestral Ewok Celebration essential.

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

For some reason it is, but I still think it's the only Gerhardt film music recording that doesn't live up to his usual high standards.

I have to admit that, having given it another spin recently, some of the Gerhardt album is a bit more hit and miss than I remember. Perhaps I was more willing to overlook some of the weaker parts of the performance but there are clearly a couple of moments when the brass struggle a bit. Surprising given how well the same (or broadly the same) forces perform some of the fiendishly complex Korngold brass writing on those albums. Having said that, still an enjoyable disc on the whole and a great tone poem style arrangement of the Empire score (even if it's not in order). Although of their three Star Wars discs, the music I actually enjoy the most is their extended Close Encounters suite from the Star Wars album, shame that this longer suite doesn't make it to concerts as it's a more balanced distillation of the score (again, functioning brilliantly as a self contained tone poem).

50 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

their extended Close Encounters suite from the Star Wars album, shame that this longer suite doesn't make it to concerts as it's a more balanced distillation of the score (again, functioning brilliantly as a self contained tone poem).

What I've been saying for 20 years.

The Gerhardt SW might not be a flawless performance, but I still give it highest marks for musicality. It's got a "classical music" approach to tempo and dynamics that feels entirely organic without completely disregarding Williams' "correct" tempi*, something that Williams himself has only fully achieved in recent years I think (and don't get me started on Mehta's odd circus interludes).

*) Except for the Death Star destruction moment, but I like that. Perhaps just because for a long time it's the only version I had.