Lucasfilm doing a Willow Disney+ series COMING 2022

Faleel

Not gonna lie, that music made me weepy. I love the movie and score so much. 

It looks like they are disregarding the sequel trilogy, which is of course the correct choice. 

I thought I saw Julie Peters' Kaiya briefly but I guess not. Also can't tell if that's Joanne Whalley or not. I don't think so but she resembles her. 

I want Admiral Madmartigan to make an appearance but I won't hold my breath. 

3 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Not gonna lie, that music made me weepy. I love the movie and score so much. 

So much of the texture of Willow is James Horner.  Such a loss, felt even more now.

I'm very much looking forward for the JNH score for the show, I'm sure it'll be wonderful.

But it would be also great if they released the expanded edition of Horner's score alongside the new series.

I’m thinking that’s why we haven’t seen it released sooner. 

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Could be great, but I’m going to miss the gorgeous chemical film look of the original when watching the top crisp digital image.

YES.  Somehow film grain helps sell the long time ago aspect of fantasy.  Probably because we associate so much of the genre to the 80s standouts. 

The trailer looks like fun, but what really makes me excited of the series is James Newton Howard's score.

Howard in fantasy mode with maybe some references to Horner's fantastic themes? Hell yeah!

Just watched the trailer and it looks interesting enough.  I have only seen the original film once, decades ago, so don't remember hardly any details about it whatsoever, other than vague images in my head that I connected to some of the OST music (it's one of my favorite Horners).  So nothing here tickled any member berries for me at all, until Horner's theme came in at the very end, which was pretty cool.

Looking forward to JNH's score album, will probably watch the show I guess (?), and definitely hoping all this leads to a complete edition of the original score finally happening

15 hours ago, Stu said:

I did watch this teaser, out of curiosity for what it would look like.  It has this look that puts me in mind of the recent Amazon fantasy series in a way I can’t put my finger on.  Could be great, but I’m going to miss the gorgeous chemical film look of the original when watching the too crisp digital image.

I love the grainy look of the original 

[EDIT] Yesterday, I was very moved to see Willow's trailer

I'm so happy for Warwick Davis, he's a part of the big Star Wars family since so many years!

:heart::heart::heart:

12 Year Old Warwick Davis' Letter to George Lucas Upon the Release of ...

Actually the timing of the  new WILLOW  series would be an excellent opportunity to revisit the original film release on a 4K restoration and remastered/ reissue of the soundtrack expanded ofcourse would be perfect !!! 

On 12/11/2021 at 7:35 PM, Stu said:

Kilmer's vocal cords are permanently damaged after a serious battle with throat cancer sadly.  He is in the new Top Gun movie that hasn't come out yet, although I'm guessing not a large role and the producers are actually re-creating Kilmer's voice in a computer using artificial intelligence or something.  I'm guessing he won't be in the new Willow series, but I guess you never know, maybe a small cameo.  I doubt Disney would be willing to pay to do that computer voice recreation just for a miniseries though.

I'm sure they could have found a voice actor that got pretty close to his voice.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Yesterday, I was very moved to learn they'll make a sequel to Willow.

You didn't just learn yesterday

On 31/01/2021 at 9:27 AM, Bespin said:

Is it mandatory to use a dwarf for portraying Willow?

On 31/01/2021 at 12:34 PM, Bespin said:

Ah, I just read that it' a sequel.  Make sense.

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sure they could have found a voice actor that got pretty close to his voice.

Kilmer's son sounds uncannily like him, but there's also been a physical toll that I don't think would translate well to this setting.  Maybe a short scene like he has in Top Gun: Maverick could work but beyond that I don't think his body would be up to anything else.

Relistened to the Willow OST by watching my old isolated score videos.  I love it so much, over-used Hornerisms and all!  There's really only a few minutes missing (barring alternates/unused score) but I would just love to have this score "checked off the list."

I'm guessing there's really not much to be done about the very long cues, though. 

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

over-used Hornerisms and all!

I remember starting to listen to it and thinking "is this going to 'danger-motive: the motion picture score?'". Ultimately, it wasn't. But it was damn close to being!

18 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Few minutes missing? There is probably more than 30 mins of unreleased music

Heard in the movie?  That’s not what I remember from working on the iso score using the OST.

50 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

the whole snow sequence is missing… 

Yeah that’s the only major cue missing from what I remember.  I’d be happy to be wrong about this!

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I only care about JNH's (and Xander's) score. 

Same. JNH still delivers on the fantasy adventure front these days so I have reasonably high hopes for this.

39 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I only care about JNH's (and Xander's) score. 

And Disney better release one album per episode 

The series is 8 episodes. My bet is on either 2 albums of 4 episode each. 4 album of 2 episode. Or one big album for the whole series.

1 minute ago, JNHFan2000 said:

4 album of 2 episode

That'd be the second best choice, behind the "one album per episode".

3 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Or one big album for the whole series.

And that would be the worst.

The problem with these "one big album for the whole season" is that inevitably too many highlights will be lost. 

I'm always amazed at how easily people could flip their lid over something that might not even mean anything in the final product (cause Disney still likely has to sell this to international markets after all).

I don't know man, you try explaining to me why a forced romance would be any worse depending on the parties involved.

• 1 month later...

This looks like a great time. Looking forward to the series and the score.

The villains in the left corner have a cool look. I can already hear their theme in my head🎶🎶

20221030_192600.jpg