Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Mank (2020)

Edmilson

David Fincher fans looking for more “Mank” content following this week’s official trailer debut are in luck thanks to a “secret website” composer Trent Reznor touted on social media. The website, which goes by the name “The White Wine Came Up With The Fish,” contains a 210-page slide show featuring official stills and behind-the-scenes photos from the making of Fincher’s Netflix drama. Turn on the website’s sound and a first-listen preview of Reznor and Atticus Ross’ “Mank” original score plays.

“Mank” is Fincher’s highly anticipated return to feature filmmaking after 2014’s “Gone Girl.” “Darkest Hour” Oscar winner Gary Oldman stars as Hollywood screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz. The script, written by Fincher’s late father Jack Fincher, follows Mankiewicz as he races to finish the script for Orson Welles’ “Citizen Kane.” The supporting cast includes Tom Burke as Orson Welles, Arliss Howard as Louis B. Mayer, Amanda Seyfried as Marion Davies, Charles Dance as William Randolph Hearst, Tom Pelphrey as Joseph L. Mankiewicz, and Lily Collins as Mank’s secretary Rita Alexander.

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Fincher, Oldman, Atticus & Ross in (hopefully) GONE GIRL or SOCIAL NETWORK mode -- I'm game for this!

Apparently it won't be an electronic score. 

Reznor and Ross have been Fincher’s go-to film composers since “The Social Network,” which won the duo the Oscar for Best Original Score. The musicians received additional acclaim for their “Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “Gone Girl” scores, but “Mank” has allowed Reznor and Ross to change up their synth-heavy musical style. In an interview with Revolver published last December, Reznor revealed he would only be using instruments available during the film’s 1930s setting to score the film.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/trent-reznor-mank-score-listen-200-photos-1234594353/

Jay posted a link to clips over on FSM:

https://www.thewhitewinecameupwiththefish.com/

I was already excited for this film, but wow - Ross & Reznor conjures up something they've never done before here. It's like an old orchestral film noir score from those clips. I just love how composers that are usually pigeonholed into one particular style, branches out and shows off an impressive versatility.

• 1 month later...

Now out in any country where it's already Friday

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/mank-original-musical-score/1541168131

https://music.apple.com/au/album/mank-original-musical-score/1541168131

etc

1000x1000bb.webp

01 Welcome to Victorville (2:15)
02 Trapped! (1:17)
03 All This Time (2:01)
04 Enter Menace (0:48)
05 First Dictation (2:22)
06 A Fool's Paradise (1:33)
07 Once More Unto the Breach (2:05)
08 About Something (0:54)
09 Glendale Station (1:16)
10 What's at Stake? (0:53)
11 Every Thing You Do (3:01)
12 Cowboys and Indians (1:20)
13 Presumed Lost (1:09)
14 (If Only You Could) Save Me (3:18)
15 Means of Escape (0:49)
16 All This Time (A White Parasol) (0:33)
17 M.G.M. (2:51)
18 A Respectable Bribe (1:03)
19 I, Governor of California (1:32)
20 A Leaden Silence (0:54)
21 San Simeon Waltz (4:54)
22 Time Running Out (0:44)
23 Mank-heim (1:24)
24 Lend Me a Buck? (1:20)
25 You Wanted to See Me? (1:03)
26 In Your Arms Again (3:18)
27 The Dark Night of the Soul (1:09)
28 Clouds Gather (0:13)
29 Way Back When (3:19)
30 An Idea Takes Hold (3:40)
31 Marion's Exit (3:18)
32 Absolution (1:05)
33 Scenes from Election Night (4:23)
34 Election Night-mare (1:31)
35 All This Time (Dance Interrupted) (1:01)
36 All This Time (Victorious) (1:12)
37 I'm Eve (0:32)
38 A Rare Bird (2:10)
39 Look at What We Did (2:30)
40 Menace Returns (0:33)
41 Forgive Me (2:15)
42 Final Regards (1:11)
43 Where Else Would I Be? (1:04)
44 The Organ Grinder (1:52)
45 All This Time (Not No More) (1:13)
46 Costume Party (1:10)
47 Dulcinea (0:37)
48 Shoot-out at the OK Corral (1:42)
49 The Organ Grinder's Monkey (2:24)
50 An Act of Purging Violence (0:38)
51 All This Time (Happily Ever After) (4:45)
52 A Rare Bird (Reprise) (2:26)

TOTAL TIME - 1:33:02

I finished the album - I found it way too long.  A lot of the ideas are just repeated multiple times, I think you could have gotten the entire point across in 45 minutes.

Also, don't let the short tracks fool you, there's a ton of crossfading between tracks, so things play like longer suites.  Dunno why it's all broken up like it is.

Finally, the final track is a total ripoff of that famous piece I forget the name of that's also used when they watch the Bellagio fountains at the end of Ocean's 11.

Claire de Lune?

Yea...the album looks dreadfully long. But I'm looking forward to it. How did you find the core musical material Jay?

It's a lot of period-appropriate sounding swing/big and throughout, like it has the feel of a hybrid source and score album really.  There's barely a "core" to latch on to, a lot of different ideas just kind of weave in and out the whole time.  A nice 45 minute edition would be really relaxing to listen to

13 minutes ago, KK said:

Yea...the album looks dreadfully long. But I'm looking forward to it. How did you find the core musical material Jay?

It's a good score but not a terribly helpful presentation. I think a solid 30m playlist is in order, although I'd have to sweep over it once more to assemble it. 

Just looking at the music, it can kind of wander without picking a consistent/coherent approach. There are quite a few more band/swing cues than I expected, but there are also some interesting ideas passed around the orchestra elsewhere. Unfortunately these don't really get any development and kind of appear in passing; the first track is the only one that really sticks in that regard, and I quite like it (M.G.M. is fun too). Still, a pleasant listen that comfortably sits under the period umbrella. I'll return to it after viewing the film, which I'm looking forward to quite a bit.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

It's a lot of period-appropriate sounding swing/big and throughout, like it has the feel of a hybrid source and score album really.  There's barely a "core" to latch on to, a lot of different ideas just kind of weave in and out the whole time.  A nice 45 minute edition would be really relaxing to listen to

Meaning he will win his second oscar. (For either this or Soul)

48 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Meaning he will win his second oscar. (For either this or Soul)

Definitely. There isn’t really any other competition in the Oscar race.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Listening now.  "A Fool's Paradise" is a fun cue where typewriter sounds are part of the music

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Like Dario Marianelli's Atonement?

Please guys! Leroy Anderson already did it in 1950 and it's used in many movies. 

8 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It's a good score but not a terribly helpful presentation. I think a solid 30m playlist is in order, although I'd have to sweep over it once more to assemble it. 

Just looking at the music, it can kind of wander without picking a consistent/coherent approach. There are quite a few more band/swing cues than I expected, but there are also some interesting ideas passed around the orchestra elsewhere. Unfortunately these don't really get any development and kind of appear in passing; the first track is the only one that really sticks in that regard, and I quite like it (M.G.M. is fun too). Still, a pleasant listen that comfortably sits under the period umbrella. I'll return to it after viewing the film, which I'm looking forward to quite a bit.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I finished the album - I found it way too long.  A lot of the ideas are just repeated multiple times, I think you could have gotten the entire point across in 45 minutes.

Also, don't let the short tracks fool you, there's a ton of crossfading between tracks, so things play like longer suites.  Dunno why it's all broken up like it is.

Finally, the final track is a total ripoff of that famous piece I forget the name of that's also used when they watch the Bellagio fountains at the end of Ocean's 11.

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It's still very long.

14 hours ago, AC1 said:

That's a long CD.

You are WRONG!

Clearly they think otherwise, that is why they have released  a presentation with 

(unless my calculation is way off)

3 hrs 31 mins 28 secs

https://trentreznor-atticusross.bandcamp.com/album/mank-original-musical-score-with-extras

HP set can eat its heart out. That did not even have this much music released. Some record session leaks aren't even this long.

7 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

You are WRONG!

Clearly they think otherwise, that is why they have released  a presentation with 

(unless my calculation is way off)

3 hrs 31 mins 28 secs

https://trentreznor-atticusross.bandcamp.com/album/mank-original-musical-score-with-extras

HP set can eat its heart out. That did not even have this much music released. Some record session leaks aren't even this long.

That's filled out with demos, though.

Anyhow, I've always found it strange these types of drama scores get full releases, whilst beloved film scores are stored in vaults, never to be touched.

" Hooray!"

Another " collection of cues"!😒

On 12/3/2020 at 2:18 PM, Jay said:

It can't be that famous if you forgot the name! 😊

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

He liked the music, but just because Conrad Pope was involved. According to the review, Pope is the main reason the score sounds good.

Not to be argumentative, but that's not what I said at all. I said that the score is really good, occasionally great, and that - quote - "the way they adopted both the compositional stylistics and dramatic impetus of Bernard Herrmann, and did it so convincingly, is impressive indeed, while the big band jazz and swing tracks are just remarkable, faithfully rendered and wonderfully arranged and performed." I mention Conrad Pope and Dan Higgins as being involved in the score, but I specifically went out of my way to say "in the end, the score for Mank has Reznor and Ross’s names on the credits, and so I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and the majority of the plaudits. While I’m sure that Pope and Higgins and everyone else played their part and made significant contributions, this is a Reznor and Ross score".

• 2 weeks later...