Famous people including John Williams on their playlists - Radiohead and Ryuichi Sakamoto

Lewya

Ryuichi Sakamoto's 1 hour long film music playlist - he included one track by John Williams.

Sakamoto's playlist is around 3 years old.

Most of his choices this time around are more mainstream. Two of the 12 tracks are preexisting pieces. Jerry Goldsmith has the most tracks on the list with three pieces.

Ryuichi Sakamoto's 1 hour long film music playlist  (it is intended to be listened to in this order preferably):

Main Title from Alien by Jerry Goldsmith

Prelude from Psycho by Bernard Herrmann

Ave Satani from The Omen by Jerry Goldsmith

The Rathtars! from Star Wars: The Force Awakens by John Williams

Ill from Solaris by Eduard Artemyev

Listen to Bach: The Earth from Solaris by Eduard Artemyev

Memories of Green from Blade Runner by Vangelis

The Dream from Total Recall by Jerry Goldsmith

Romanzo from 1900 by Ennio Morricone

Adagio for Strings from Platoon by Samuel Barber

End Titles from Blade Runner by Vangelis

Born Slippy (Nuxx) from Trainspotting by Underworld

Radiohead (either Jonny Greenwood or Thom Yorke) included the track Barry's Kidnapping from Close Encounters of the Third Kind on a playlist back in 1999 which was long ago, but still someone here might find it interesting as I did.

If you find more famous people in the music world including something by John Williams on their playlists, please post it in this thread.

I was just posting a thread over on FSM about Hans Zimmer's new playlist for the Headspace app. I don't want to download the app to see what his selections are, but I'm hoping someone else can provide the information. Perhaps he has John Williams on it.

As for Sakamoto, someone posted a playlist of his a few months ago. Not sure if that was the same, or something else. But I don't think "The Rathtars!" was on the earlier one -- what a curious choice coming from Sakamoto. Highly amusing, though! :)

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

As for Sakamoto, someone posted a playlist of his a few months ago. Not sure if that was the same, or something else. But I don't think "The Rathtars!" was on the earlier one -- what a curious choice coming from Sakamoto. Highly amusing, though! :)

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32019-ryuichi-sakamoto-selected-his-top-10-soundtracks-of-all-time/

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

I was just posting a thread over on FSM about Hans Zimmer's new playlist for the Headspace app. I don't want to download the app to see what his selections are, but I'm hoping someone else can provide the information. Perhaps he has John Williams on it.

I doubt that Zimmer included Williams on a playlist for a meditation app, but let's hope someone is able to provide the info :)

No, this is a different list of his that hasn't been shared before.

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

Dammit, I am curious enough that I will download the app and post his selections. If it includes Williams I will be posting his choices in this thread.

I will post Zimmer's selections in the FSM thread, Thor. It seems like you can't get to all of the tracks right away, so I will have to listen for 85 minutes and Shazam the tracks I don't regonize.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I get the Headspace app free with work.  I can’t say I recognise any of the music but it seems to be specially composed ambient music by Zimmer rather than tracks by other composers.

Here is a screenshot.

060D186C-AE58-4822-9E97-8B83FF0644B5.png

• 1 month later...

Sorry, no John Williams on his list, but Nils Frahm (who recently had one of his pieces in AD ASTRA) selects his favourite film scores. I thought maybe there was a more general thread about this kind of stuff, but I can't find it.

https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/nils-frahm-s-favorite-film-music?fbclid=IwAR31-aGE4Ma26H5_uvH0eCtRbEMeSg_W5svIfBAHxt_z6KZbn00_kULs9aQ

I do think it's kind of interesting that preferring the film scores of pop artists is what's considered the highbrow choice now.  It's quite a juxtaposition with what was considered highbrow like 50 years ago.

That said, the jazz choices on that list are all pretty great.  Duke's Anatomy score is a classic!

Absolutely. And don't get me wrong--it's a perfectly fine list. It's just makes me roll my eyes that especially European composers/filmmakers still feel so highbrow toward things that are perhaps more popular and well-known. This doesn't mean they too have to put Star Wars or Gone With the Wind on their list, but I think this reveals a little bit of prejudice against a certain kind of film scores.

2 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Absolutely. And don't get me wrong--it's a perfectly fine list. It's just makes me roll my eyes that especially European composers/filmmakers still feel so highbrow toward things that are perhaps more popular and well-known. This doesn't mean they too have to put Star Wars or Gone With the Wind on their list, but I think this reveals a little bit of prejudice against a certain kind of film scores.

I completely agree.  I think it would be interesting to trace exactly how grand orchestral scores have come to be viewed almost as tasteless by people who fancy themselves as intellectual.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Sorry, no John Williams on his list, but Nils Frahm (who recently had one of his pieces in AD ASTRA) selects his favourite film scores. I thought maybe there was a more general thread about this kind of stuff, but I can't find it.

https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/nils-frahm-s-favorite-film-music?fbclid=IwAR31-aGE4Ma26H5_uvH0eCtRbEMeSg_W5svIfBAHxt_z6KZbn00_kULs9aQ

Funny that two of his favourite selections were composed by himself. What a coincidence!

13 hours ago, TownerFan said:

This doesn't mean they too have to put Star Wars or Gone With the Wind on their list, but I think this reveals a little bit of prejudice against a certain kind of film scores.

I'd put this more into 'don't care for escapist movies in general' category. And to put this in perspective in 2020, the trench warfare of 'little' fans vs. snobby establishement has become a bit musty. If anything, the loud and obnoxious fans have become a not-so-silent majority in the last 10 years (via Twitter, YT, fan projects etc..