John Williams' Tribute to the Film Composer - now streaming free

Jay

The arrangement is artfully done and the orchestration is top rank, of course. (I imagine the assignment reminded JW of his Boston Pops days.) I wish it was longer, though, so that some of the themes could breathe more. A few of them seem to cut off after the first phrase, just when your ears are getting into it.

Other than that quibble, I really like it. 

The transition from E.T. to Gone with the Wind in particular has always struck me as so perfect. It sounds almost like a continuation of E.T. till a few notes later, due to the opening two notes of the GwtW theme having the same upward leap motion.

In truth, this is probably my least favorite arrangement by Williams, though I'm glad others seem so fond of it.

To me, it's little more than an awkward cut-and-paste job, with no actual arranging happening besides the choice of when to cut off one excerpt and begin the next. That said, I always get a chuckle out of the abrupt shift from Titanic to Psycho, which nicely punctures the romantic gooeyness of the former.

I think it works a lot better as a clip show, the way it was designed. Clearly meant for TV broadcast rather than a piece of music in its own right but I have a lot of nostalgia for that Oscars performance. I was 11 when it aired and had just become a John Williams fan, taped it on VHS, watched it all the time, know it by heart. It’s how I was introduced to many of these themes.

Cinema Paradiso-The Godfather has to be the most seamless, but another I always thought was really fun was Col Bogey-Patton-Rocky.

3 hours ago, Falstaft said:

That said, I always get a chuckle out of the abrupt shift from Titanic to Psycho, which nicely punctures the romantic gooeyness of the former.

I always found that as an almost insult to Horner, but I am guessing it was all in fun.  I agree with your overall assessment as well--nice showcase of themes, which serves to hammer home just how integral music is to film, but too ADHD as a standalone listening experience.  

On 10/23/2020 at 8:01 PM, King Mark said:

So where can we classify this as a Williams piece? Playing next to Happy Birthday Variations?

File under “Miscellany,” I’d say.