James Horner's THE LAND BEFORE TIME (1988) - NEW Intrada 2020

Jay

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

According to this post, there's one lengthy unreleased cue:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=77622#p77622

Interesting! Here's hoping to maybe a little more unreleased that maybe wasn't in the film? Then again, it was not a very long film... so likely not lol. Unless it was for some of the deleted scenes that we know happened...

11 minutes ago, ymenard said:

There could also be an instrumental version of "If We Hold On Together"!:nopity:

But seriously, I have never turned a volume knob up and down as much as listening to that score!

You don't have to! Set it to the highest you can tolerate, let the loud bits peak there, and leave the volume button alone. Let the quiet bits be quiet as intended.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Does Mike handle all of James Horner's scores?

I remember he did Casper and Apollo 13 but not Titanic.

Wasn't Titanic done by Mike as well?

I thought that was Neil S. Bulk.

EDIT: Ah, it was both of them! :P

Produced by Mike Matessino and Neil S. Bulk, with the approval of the James Horner Estate and Lightstorm Entertainment, and mastered by Matessino from studio vault elements, this sumptuous, stellar-sounding reissue is limited to 5000 units.

3 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

You don't have to! Set it to the highest you can tolerate, let the loud bits peak there, and leave the volume button alone. Let the quiet bits be quiet as intended.

Or just screw your neighbors like @Marian Schedenig does with highly dynamic recordings. :D;)

32 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Heck, i could have bundled wotw with this one :/

just for the record...this is a lucasfilm co-produced film...

Yeah, mildly annoyed considering I only placed my order a few days ago.

Ahh well, just gives me something to bundle with Monsignor and Alien when those are back in stock.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Alien

You're late. I love the fact that this and The Wind and the Lion are unlimited. If there were two Goldsmith scores that should be available at any point in history, it would be those two.

TBH I always preferred Horner's Aliens to Goldsmith's Alien, even though I accept the latter is probably one of Goldsmith's best.

Also a bit wary that the existing release is 13 years old; seems overdue for a fresh high-res transfer of the analogue elements. Mike could work wonders with that score using modern software.

Realistically though, it's a Fox release, so unless something was in the works pre-Disney I don't see it happening.

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

TBH I always preferred Horner's Aliens to Goldsmith's Alien, even though I accept the latter is probably one of Goldsmith's best.

:o

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Also a bit wary that the existing release is 13 years old; seems overdue for a fresh high-res transfer of the analogue elements. Mike could work wonders with that score using modern software.

The booklet says it came from a (then) newly found 1 inch multitrack. Unless they found 2 inch multitracks or something in the meantime, it's not going to sound better. But it still sounds pretty good as is.

43 minutes ago, Holko said:

The booklet says it came from a (then) newly found 1 inch multitrack. Unless they found 2 inch multitracks or something in the meantime, it's not going to sound better. But it still sounds pretty good as is.

Didn't the 2019 LLL Poseidon Adventure use the same transfers as the 2010 LLL release? Mike went back to those transfers and remastered them from scratch using modern technology, and was able to improve the audio quality beyond what was possible in 2010. Theoretically he could do the same with Alien. And who knows whether those 2007 transfers were done in high resolution or whatever digital format was acceptable back in 2007.

That said, I'm not sure whether the technology of audio transfers has improved substantially in the last decade. I know film transfers are substantially better now than 10 years ago, able to capture far more information off the camera negative. Wouldn't audio transfers be the same?

Great score, but I've ever only owned it in digital file format. Hopefully, this new release means that I can get the ol' OST CD to a cheap price -- if and when I decide to get it physically. That's an unexpected benefit of these expansions, I guess -- that people load off their old releases for people like me.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Does Mike handle all of James Horner's scores?

I remember he did Casper and Apollo 13 but not Titanic.

Concerning Intrada:

On 5/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, Jay said:

I don't know how Doug decides which Horner expansions to do himself, vs which ones he has Matessino do

Produced by Doug Fake:

• Batteries Not Included
  • Balto
  • Clear and Present Danger
  • Cocoon
  • A Far Off Place
  • Gorky Park
  • The Rocketeer
  • Troy

Produced by Mike Matessino

• Apollo 13
  • An American Tail
  • Legends of the Fall

Unfortunately 'Once Upon A Forest' is Fox, i much prefer that to the remaining Universal things.

Though of course TLBT is cause for celebration, it's not 'Willow' in sophistication but probably Horner's most accomplished animation score.

Call me novice, but I always wondered... when Horner did these long, suite-like tracks... ARE they all one take each? Or are they stitched together like how Williams does it? So if Barry The Bassoonist flubs a note in the last 10 seconds of the 10 minute suite, they have to redo the entire thing? Talk about pressure!

23 minutes ago, publicist said:

Though of course TLBT is cause for celebration, it's not 'Willow' in sophistication but probably Horner's most accomplished animation score.

Almost. I put AN AMERICAN TAIL in front ot it. But it's an easy second. I like plenty of other Horner animations, like BALTO, AN AMERICAN TAIL: FIEVEL GOES WEST, ONCE UPON A FOREST, WE'RE BACK: A DINOSAUR'S STORY, THE PAGEMASTER (if that counts) -- but those two are in a class of their own.

1 hour ago, scallenger said:

Call me novice, but I always wondered... when Horner did these long, suite-like tracks... ARE they all one take each? Or are they stitched together like how Williams does it? So if Barry The Bassoonist flubs a note in the last 10 seconds of the 10 minute suite, they have to redo the entire thing? Talk about pressure!

I think I read somewhere that Horner likes to record very long cues. There is some cues in his career that are over 11 minutes long, all recorded in one take. He wasn't like Williams, who liked to cut his long cues into smaller ones (Quidditch in HPPS, for instance).

55 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I think I read somewhere that Horner likes to record very long cues.

Yes, that's not exactly news. It's a trademark of his.

Well you can start by hearing what happens during recording sessions, here are some "leaks" from Horner's Troy. Like most other score recordings, you will repeat and adjust for a certain time (depending on a lot of stuff, from budget to rewriting to adjusting to the current film cut), then record the final cut:

Here in Brazil this movie used to be a joke, due to its countless direct-to-video sequels that were constantly airing on both cable and broadcast TV. I remember as a child the TV annoucing "The Land Before Time Part 13" and finding that hilarious. Only as an adult that I found out that this movie is well regarded despite the sequels, mostly among film music fans.

It has received a lame name here, "Em Busca do Vale Encantado"  (Searching for the Enchanted Valley).

It’s a wonderful score and one that features the glorious golden era of Horner with the LSO.

Mike M didn’t work on this, it’s a D. Fake production.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

...due to its countless direct-to-video sequels that were constantly airing on both cable and broadcast TV. I remember as a child the TV annoucing "The Land Before Time Part 13" and finding that hilarious.

Yep, who could forget the "The Secret Of Saurus Rock"

Update from Doug at his Intrada page:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

New for this coming week are two pretty big releases, both expanded and remastered editions of great James Horner and Jerry Goldsmith albums. The Land Before Time includes both major cues Horner dropped from the original MCA release, totaling 15 minutes of new music. The Last Castle offers the complete score plus alternates, and remains one of my Goldsmith favorites: military all the way, Malcolm McNab’s solo trumpet in the spotlight. Artwork, contents and sound samples should be posted here early in the week.

18 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

I wonder whether this will be a one or two-disc set :drool:

Isnt the ost over 70 min long? Unless they drop the diana ross song (which i hope not) i dont think the unreleased 15 minutes fit there...

This was the 1st film I remember watching in the cinema. Fond memories :')

8 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Isnt the ost over 70 min long? Unless they drop the diana ross song (which i hope not) i dont think the unreleased 15 minutes fit there...

This was the 1st film I remember watching in the cinema. Fond memories :')

It was 58 minutes.