James Horner's THE LAND BEFORE TIME (1988) - NEW Intrada 2020

Jay

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Skippable moments in the TWOK score? Never! 

Surprise on Ceti Alpha V
Khan's Pets
The Eels of Ceti Alpha V
He Tasks Me
Inside Regula I.
Brainwashed

On 10/24/2020 at 9:30 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Or just screw your neighbors like @Marian Schedenig does with highly dynamic recordings. :D;)

The neighbours are not the reason why I probably won't buy this one.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Skippable moments in the TWOK score? Never! 

The Khan music and the Ceti Eel track. Those are shit. 

I will buy this one only because I never have. 

11 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

I love THE LAND BEFORE TIME. :heart:

but the way Horner uses cues by Prokofiev (Peter and the Wolf, October cantata) is hilarious. I have to post some examples.

I also love 'The Land Before Time' and I don't care about the classical influences at all. I actually wonder if in some cases they are intentionally meant to comment on the action, last time I watched the film I remember thinking that there's no way the direct quotes of the trapping the wolf motif from 'Peter and the Wolf' for the trapping of the T-Rex at the end of a children's story is not 100% intentional!

Of course they are intentional, Horner even said as much. Nowadays, what bothers me about this practice more than anything is that they idiomatically stand out like a sore thumb, not because of the steal per se, but because you can clearly hear that it's not Horner.

It works i. e. in Glory because that melody is so transcendent of time and place and much more universal, so it works brilliantly in a movie about the civil war in Murica. 

But long direct quotes from the Cantata or Peter and the Wolf are so obviously a russian composer early to mid-century, it makes me less enjoy these parts, whereas the cuddly Horner stuff works great, even if it's musically simpler.

13 hours ago, scallenger said:

What about Krull?! Where's the love for Krull?! :D That one is definitely in my top Horner (and have the LLL release of course).

Never really enjoyed Krull, I don't know why :(

Perhaps I should watch the film, might provide context for those horrible synth wooshes.

59 minutes ago, publicist said:

Of course they are intentional, Horner even said as much. Nowadays, what bothers me about this practice more than anything is that they idiomatically stand out like a sore thumb, not because of the steal per se, but because you can clearly hear that it's not Horner.

It works i. e. in Glory because that melody is so transcendent of time and place and much more universal, so it works brilliantly in a movie about the civil war in Murica. 

But long direct quotes from the Cantata or Peter and the Wolf are so obviously a russian composer early to mid-century, it makes me less enjoy these parts, whereas the cuddly Horner stuff works great, even if it's musically simpler.

Good thing I've never heard any of the classical stuff he ripped off from.

>shrug< I just don't really like classical music. I'd rather spend my time listening to more film music. 

On 10/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, Thor said:

Great score, but I've ever only owned it in digital file format. Hopefully, this new release means that I can get the ol' OST CD to a cheap price -- if and when I decide to get it physically. That's an unexpected benefit of these expansions, I guess -- that people load off their old releases for people like me.

If they've only added one cue, can't you just buy the new one? You'll get better sound too.

If you really don't like the added track, just remove it from your playlist. That's something everyone has to do when we're not interested in alternates/demos, etc.

It's annoying that a composer chooses to put almost the entire score on a release, especally if it's arranged for listening as Horner does. If they're sufficiently happy with their work to release all but 15 minutes (and especialy if it's one continuous 15 minutes), just put the 15 minutes on and please their fans :)

1 minute ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

That's the trick, we don't know it's classical music and prefer to keep it that way.

You don't need more than very basic comprehension skills to spot 80% the parts that are ripped verbatim: they just don't sound like they belong. The best-disguised rip in Land Before Time is the opening to the Wooden Prince by Bartok. That could actually be Horner.

It's not as if Thor is someone who insists a CD must be played in a CD player, and that bonus tracks are an unnacceptable interruption... he'a got a digital copy.

But I suspect there may be a 'I don't buy expansions' motivation here.

Thor doesn't *really* give a shit about the additional 10 minutes. As a true ideologist, it's more about the perception and repetition of his beliefs to the point where he actually convinces himself, if not others, that it's kinda evil to own this stuff. 

@Richard PennaWhat on earth makes you think this new Intrada will have "better sound" than the OST, which is one of my reference quality CDs? Especially given Intrada's patchy track record of making certain expansions brighter and louder.

Just now, Richard Penna said:

Most expansions get some sort of sound upgrade? I don't know this score at all - I'm just assuming it will.

Many receive a downgrade. TLBT is one of the most sonically dynamic film score soundtracks I've ever heard, I can only imagine a "remaster" going backwards.

Fair enough, that's your personal assessment, but it doesn't factor in to a general suggestion that the sound might be improved, as it often is.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, Thor said:

Great score, but I've ever only owned it in digital file format. Hopefully, this new release means that I can get the ol' OST CD to a cheap price -- if and when I decide to get it physically. That's an unexpected benefit of these expansions, I guess -- that people load off their old releases for people like me.

If one of the labels re-released some long OOP album wth the original program, and added a handful of tracks at the end for completists, would you buy that? Has Intrada's 'score/extras' model appealed to you as a concept at all?

I picture you being someone who can't stand extra tracks even existing on a CD you buy (no matter how segregated they are), whereas really it's a way for the label to make both camps happy.

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I picture you being someone who can't stand extra tracks even existing on a CD you buy (no matter how segregated they are), whereas really it's a way for the label to make both camps happy.

You're right. Although it's certainly a good thing that labels also often include the OST program in their expanded releases. Much better than if they didn't.

Oh, I'm not even talking about the inclusion of the OST on a second CD. Rather the original OST being the main presentation, with a few extra tracks to make it complete.

Just seems the ideal way to please everyone, hence why this release strikes me as a good compromise way for you.

6 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Just seems the ideal way to please everyone, hence why this release strikes me as a good compromise way for you.

It absolutely is. I'm just extremely peculiar that way. I prefer the "clean" releases without any extra tracks. To quote Ash in ALIEN: "I admire its purity".

By the way, I'm here if anyone in this forum wants to load off their old CD of THE LAND BEFORE TIME for a cheap price, if and when they get this new one. Just sayin'.

38 minutes ago, Thor said:

It absolutely is. I'm just extremely peculiar that way. I prefer the "clean" releases without any extra tracks. To quote Ash in ALIEN: "I admire its purity".

By the way, I'm here if anyone in this forum wants to load off their old CD of THE LAND BEFORE TIME for a cheap price, if and when they get this new one. Just sayin'.

You can have mine. I’ll be buying this sucker immediately.