James Horner's THE LAND BEFORE TIME (1988) - NEW Intrada 2020

Jay

5 hours ago, publicist said:

The best-disguised rip in Land Before Time is the opening to the Wooden Prince by Bartok. That could actually be Horner.

holy shit. I don't know if I should be disappointed, amused or horrified. 0:00–2:10ish

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Being ignorant is never a good thing. ;)

Not caring is...

5 hours ago, Jay said:

>shrug< I just don't really like classical music. I'd rather spend my time listening to more film music. 

I can appreciate classical music but it does nothing for me emotionally. 

29 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Here's the complete cue list, with approximate timings taken from the full scores:

1M1 The Great Migration 7:45

2M1 Sharptooth 8:25

3M1 The Earthquake 2:00

3M2 Whispering Winds 8:50

4M1 Foraging for Food 7:10

5M1 Journey of the Dinosaurs 8:15

6M1/2 Separate Paths 7:15

7M1 The Rescue 6:05

7M2[/8M1] Discovery of the Great Valley 6:40

8M2 End Credits 6:00

So, it appears there weren't any alternates for this score, but 5M1 and 6M1/2 are both quite lengthy unreleased cues. And it appears all the cues on the original album were already presented complete.

Very excited for this one! Intrada's had quite a month between this, War of the Worlds, Prince of Thieves, and The Last Castle.

That's much more comprehensible than The Prisoner of Azkaban.:lol:

22 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

holy shit. I don't know if I should be disappointed, amused or horrified. 0:00–2:10ish

Nach einer Minute hab' ich aufgehört...

I stopped after one minute, as I couldn't bear to have one of most favourite tracks by Horner sullied by, yet again, not being as original to him as I had thought for, y'know, 21 years.

:stick:

6 hours ago, Thor said:

It absolutely is. I'm just extremely peculiar that way. I prefer the "clean" releases without any extra tracks. To quote Ash in ALIEN: "I admire its purity".

If you want purity, in the case of most pre-90s scores you should only own the original vinyl releases, which were intended to sound as vinyl does (never as CDs) and played on two-side LPs and not as a continuous program.

54 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The thing is that what we call "classical music" is such a wide and varied field. If you like symphonic film music it's extremely likely there's some classical music that will appeal to you.

Try me.

In my early hi-fi days I enjoyed Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and Dvorak's New World Symphony. Stravinsky's Firebird is another piece I can appreciate (probably because it's quite filmic).

Is Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue considered classical? I enjoy that too.

4 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Try me.

In my early hi-fi days I enjoyed Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and Dvorak's New World Symphony.

Is Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue considered classical? I enjoy that too.

There you see, you do like classical music. :)

Horner is very much a musical bard, retelling musical narratives and applying them in fascinating ways. Willow is HIGHLY derivative, but almost genius when explained. To a lesser degree, this is true of things like Troy as well.

The only temp-tracking of his that really bothers me is Grand Slam Demons for some reason. Even though I still listen to that score A LOT. Flying Forward Through Time? ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

6 minutes ago, blondheim said:

To a lesser degree, this is true of things like Troy as well.

Troy is most certainly not genius in any way, shape or form. His butchering of the War Requiem stands as one of the most egregious examples how to disrespect the intention of the original work. It's really pure cynicism, imho.

16 minutes ago, publicist said:

Troy is most certainly not genius in any way, shape or form. His butchering of the War Requiem stands as one of the most egregious examples how to disrespect the intention of the original work. It's really pure cynicism, imho.

I wasn't overly bothered by it, but I can definitely understand anyone else being bothered. I feel like it is a matter of preference for Horner fans, which lifts truly annoy you. I had forgotten about that one honestly, so it is a good point. I was referring to the Shosty that's in there.

I grew up with Troy and so it has a special place for me. It was my first introduction to the 4 notes of evil. It was my first real Horner score besides Land Before Time and Titanic, maybe Beautiful Mind. I could still probably hum the battle tracks like Peter Griffin does the opening of Last Crusade. However, despite it being a favorite of mine, I definitely didn't mean to imply genius; I should have said to a much, much, MUCH lesser degree ;)

At this time Horner mostly just repeated the danger motif and his self rips became much more frequent (than the classical ones). 

I think Willow was Horner's undisputed highlight, where this concept of taking all kinds of musical quotes, from the Mozart requiem to folk songs (the Bulgarian ditty that is the main theme ) to the harsh modernisms of Penderecki to the Schumann symphony really worked in the sense the he forged something greater out of the sum of its parts. 

Just now, publicist said:

At this time Horner mostly just repeated the danger motif and his self rips became much more frequent (than the classical ones). 

I think Willow was Horner's undisputed highlight, where this concept of taking all kinds of musical quotes, from the Mozart requiem to folk songs (the Bulgarian ditty that is the main theme ) to the harsh modernisms of Penderecki to the Schumann symphony really worked in the sense the he forged something greater out of the sum of its parts. 

100%

I really love this presentation. Simple, unadorned. Just fill in the gaps. It will be a great listen. I was so afraid they would muck this up with bonus tracks. They are fine sometimes, but this needed to be pure. Like the film and the experience we all remember. I am so pleased.

20 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

Sadly no bonus cues or film versions etc. 

Why so you assume something like that was even recorded to begin with? 

Also ordered. I would've loved for there to have been some alternates or suites uncovered as well, but the unreleased 15 minutes is plenty for me. So excited! I feel like I've been getting spoiled lately.

INTRADA Announces:

THE LAND BEFORE TIME
Music Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER
INTRADA ISC 449

Intrada's latest release from the pen of James Horner is his epic score for The Land Before Time, the first in a series of beloved films. Horner was busy in 1988, scoring five films – Willow, Red Heat, Vibes, Cocoon: The Return, and The Land Before Time. All five are a testament to his talent and diversity (and his ability to work under pressure, having only 5 weeks to score Land). This project continued the relationship between Horner and animator Don Bluth, whose joint inaugural work was from two years earlier on An American Tail. For The Land Before Time, Horner essentially composed a long tone poem, filling nearly all of the film's 69 minutes with the lush, adventurous, and glorious music for which Horner is known, played brilliantly by the London Symphony Orchestra. As Frank DeWald says in the liner notes, "He binds several recurring themes together in kaleidoscopic fashion, demonstrating his gift for creating fluid ideas that reappear transformed in ways both obvious and subtle. Intervals, rhythms, harmonies or instrumental colors often change, maintaining a constant state of development and adding a sense of forward motion to the film itself." Horner composed in lengthy sequences, with cues running seven, nine, even 12 minutes in length.

Since Horner composed in such lengthy statements, the original MCA program featured a mere seven cues, just shy of the nine total cues in the film. Rather than record these lengthy pieces in separate parts and assemble later, Horner recorded them in their entirety to allow the musicians to generate considerable musicianship and nuance within the cues – time to get into the music. As such, the expansion only required Intrada to add two additional tracks, albeit tracks that run over seven and eight minutes long each. For this release, courtesy of Universal Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, and Universal Music Group, Intrada had access to Shawn Murphy's digital 3-track stereo mixes preserved on the 32-track session masters.

The story follows five intrepid young prehistoric creatures— four dinosaurs of various species and a pterosaur—as they journey west across a barren landscape to the Great Valley, where they hope to find abundant food at last. Along the way, they must deal with earthquakes, carnivores (especially the terrifying Tyrannosaurus rex), separation from their families and near-starvation.

INTRADA ISC 449
Barcode: 720258544902
Retail Price: $21.99
Starts Shipping October 27th
Note: Due to local restrictions related to the pandemic, shipping time may be slower than usual
For track listing and sound samples, please visit http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12106/.f

LandBeforeTime_isc449_1600a.jpg

LandBeforeTime_isc449_600c.jpg

THE LAND BEFORE TIME (EXPANDED)
James Horner
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 449
Film Date: 1988
Album Date: 2020
Time: 74:00
Tracks: 9

Classic James Horner soundtrack for popular 1988 animation tale gets expanded CD treatment! George Lucas/Steven Spielberg present, Don Bluth directs, Amblin Entertainment and Universal Pictures release. Box office hit finds group of five young dinosaurs, separated from their parents after a great “earth shake”, foraging for food, fleeing Sharptooth (Tyrannasaurus rex), struggling to survive long and dangerous trek to The Great Valley. James Horner both leads, follows with vivid, colorful symphonic portrait of the five friends, the many perils they encounter and their ultimate triumph over adversity. Horner provides several themes that all receive ample moments to shine. Overall main theme also becomes the beautiful mega-hit song, “If We Hold On Together”, written by James Horner with Will Jennings, performed by the legendary Diana Ross. 

Horner recorded his score in single, extremely long takes. As a result the film’s large-scale score unfolded with just ten cues. Most are over seven minutes in length, one runs over ten minutes, one of them is nearly 13 minutes long! With very modest assembly, Horner produced a generous album for MCA Records at the time of the movie’s release that dropped just two cues. Those two cues, however, are considerable: “Journey Of The Dinosaurs” runs 8:30 while “Separate Paths” is 7:15. Big cues indeed! Both of them are featured for the first time ever on this new remastering of the entire 74-minute score. 

Entire Intrada presentation was made from same 6-track film mixes and two-track stereo mixes (derived from 48-channel session masters) that veteran scoring mixer Shawn Murphy utilized in the production of the 1988 MCA album. Audio quality is crisp and vibrant! Colorful booklet designed by Kay Marshall with literate notes by Frank DeWald is another asset. Greig McRitchie orchestrates, Shawn Murphy mixes, James Horner conducts the London Symphony Orchestra, the King’s College School Choir, the Choristers Of St. Paul’s Cathedral and Ladies Chorus. Whew! Intrada Special Collection CD available while quantities and interest remain!

TRACK LIST

01. The Great Migration (7:50)
02. Sharptooth And The Earthquake (10:33)
03. Whispering Winds (9:00)
04. Foraging For Food (7:16)
05. Journey Of The Dinosaurs (8:30)
06. Separate Paths (7:14)
07. The Rescue / Discovery Of The Great Valley (12:44)
08. End Credits (6:21)
09. “If We Hold On Together” (Performed by Diana Ross) (4:07)

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12106/.f

The Intrada forum post says:

For this release [...] Intrada had access to Shawn Murphy's digital 3-track stereo mixes preserved on the 32-track session masters.

While the Intrada main page says:

Entire Intrada presentation was made from same 6-track film mixes and two-track stereo mixes (derived from 48-channel session masters) that veteran scoring mixer Shawn Murphy utilized in the production of the 1988 MCA album.

Why the discrepancy?  Does the new release use 2 channel or 3 channel or 6 channel mixes?  Was the original multitrack 32 track or 48 track?

9 hours ago, publicist said:

I actually got most of my introduction to classical music through James Horner and other scores with strong/specific classical influences. I still love the key figures of Russian music (Shostakovich primarily, but also Prokofiev, Stravinsky etc.) but this expanded out into well known classics I already knew and plenty I didn't. My taste is still broadly Beethoven onwards (I feel bad that I don't love Bach, despite his exalted status) Mozart/Haydn and that era don't do much for me, nor does opera which pains be somewhat. I feel as though I'd have a huge new world of music to explore if I did but despite several attempts, just can't get over my dislike for the operatic singing style. I went through the whole phase of being somewhat disappointed that my favourite film composers weren't quite the geniuses I thought - I think the Star Wars/Superman/Kings Row similarity was the biggest shock, but I'm kinda over it now. Enjoy the film music, but understand the provenance of much of it to a greater or lesser degree. The one thing that always amazes me is how much Horner, despite all the borrowings, seems to sound like Horner for a far larger proportion than seems reasonable given how large chunks can be assembled from other works. To that end, coming to a very familiar passage taken from something else doesn't pull me out of the music as much as it probably should.

Oh and yeah... can't wait for Land Before Time, a lovely score, but man that's a lot of Prokofiev ;-)

Just listened to the samples and holy crap, I might get this purely based on those. I know I tried the movie once but couldn't get past the awful awful blurry unfocused insanely grainy transfer that only obscured all these animators' and other artists' work.

11 hours ago, Ricard said:

If you want purity, in the case of most pre-90s scores you should only own the original vinyl releases, which were intended to sound as vinyl does (never as CDs) and played on two-side LPs and not as a continuous program.

But TLBT is a digital recording!

Reading the review on the James Horner Film Music website and this quote from Horner really surprised me:

"I don’t respond to animation quite like I do live action. It doesn’t hit me the same way. There’s a suspension of reality. Writing for something real and writing for something that’s not real and pretending is a little different."

He produced some of his absolutely finest work for animation! 

Is it so no one thinks he's a "kid movie guy" but one of the big boys?

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

He produced some of his absolutely finest work for animation!

He did, although I'm not certain if an animated film would break my top 10 Horner. Simply because he has such a massive catalogue of excellent stuff.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Why so you assume something like that was even recorded to begin with? 

I recall "Sharptooth and the Earthquake" sounding different in the film than on the album. Maybe something was tracked in from one of the two previously unreleased cues?

Edit: Here is what I'm talking about: There's additional brass not present on the album.

Same here: