James Horner's THE LAND BEFORE TIME (1988) - NEW Intrada 2020

Jay

So, the movie is 69 minutes long, but the Intrada album is 74 minutes. That means there are 5 minutes of unused material in the score. 

I think we're gonna need a spreadsheet detailing all this.

The End Credits of the film itself use the song and then only 2 1/2 minutes of his 6 minute end credits composition, plus Spielberg had Bluth remove some footage that was considered "too frightening" for children after it had been scored.  That's all there is to it.

Two quotes from the FSM thread:

There's a bombastic, concertized flourish at 4:25 into the cue "Whispering Winds" that isn't in the film

I think he did score some of the unused footage, because there's also music on "The Rescue / Discovery of the Great Valley" (0:29 - 2:28) that is not heard in the film.

There's also a few minor bits in 'Sharptooth and the Earthquake' that seemed to have been intended for cut scenes.

I would assume the director didnt keep the footage.

But who knows, that full hell scene from AllDogsGoToHeaven was still kept somewhere.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

You guys are too much.  I was - obviously - just trying to help

Thanks. xD I’ve got a CD stuck in the disc drive, any chance you’d know how to get it out....?....other than cutting the laptop open?

45 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Thanks. xD I’ve got a CD stuck in the disc drive, any chance you’d know how to get it out....?....other than cutting the laptop open?

Is there small pinhole in it? If so you might be able to stick a pin in it to engage the opening mechanism.

There's usually a pinhole release switch. If not, the drive itself can often be removed from the rest of the laptop. If not, just abandon that drive and buy a USB drive

There should always be a release mechanism. A straight paper clip usually does the trick. 

My laptop from 2010 bit the dust about two years ago, but I was able to salvage its optical drive, which is a BR drive. I think it is a BR burner, though I have never held a blank BR disc in my life. They sell affordable USB housings that turn internal drives into USB devices. 

Im torn on ordering this right now and pay shipping fees twice this month...or wait until the inevitable great release on black friday from either Intrada or LLL to bundle it. :/

heck what a coincidence, the full score runs 74 minutes it could have been released complete on cd in the 80s already....

yes it was the Lp restriction...they could have added the tracks to boost cd sales...like they now do with LP sales...

On 10/27/2020 at 8:22 PM, publicist said:

Interesting Horner quote about the score in question from http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/the-land-before-time-expanded-edition-our-exclusive-review/:

That IS an interesting quote, but where is it from? The review doesn't say (at least I couldn't see it from skimming the superlong article). Is it taken from the yet-to-be-published book they're working on over there, and interviews they've conducted themselves for this purpose?

Although I don't know this score nor movie, I think it's an essential Horner score... so I'll include it in my next January order.

25 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Finally got mine and had a chance to sit down and listen to it. What a lovely score from my childhood. So glad to get to hear it all!

How does it sound? :)

Is The Great Migration the correct take? Instrumentation and tempo in some spots feels different. Big horn solo at the beginning not nearly as prominent either. 

Album sounds great, obviously the dynamic range isn’t as insane as the original release. But very warm and detailed. New tracks are great to finally have, love the motif for Spike. Such a great score. Something about The Great Migration still seems off. 

6 hours ago, Alan said:

How does it sound? :)

Oh it sounds great! I was always a sucker for the dynamic range on the original album, but this is still excellent.

6 hours ago, Demondm810 said:

Is The Great Migration the correct take? Instrumentation and tempo in some spots feels different. Big horn solo at the beginning not nearly as prominent either. 

Hmm. Comparing the two. I think you're right. Something is different. I can't seem to line the OST track up perfectly with the new one. Hard to say if it's a different take or if it's just the mixing throwing it off.

I will say though, I am hearing what sounds like some kind of mixing error in Separate Paths, take a listen to the cymbal roll at around 4:56. It sounds almost as if a channel gets cut off prematurely right at 4:58. Not sure if it's like this in the film or not yet. It could just sound like an error and not be one, but it has the feel of an abrupt cut to something that should organically fade out. Anyone else hear this?

18 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

This is why I generally avoid remastered expandeds these days.

Is this a regular occurrence? I find it to be quite rare personally. I can only think of maybe 3 issues I've encountered off the top of my head in all the expansions I've bought in the last 10 years.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Strange that theinfo blurb on Intrada's site doesn't even list a producer.

Hmm. The booklet says:

CD Produced by DOUGLASS FAKE

CD Edited and Mastered by DOUGLASS FAKE

26 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

This is why I generally avoid remastered expandeds these days.

Mixing errors were much more common on the old albums, as witnessed on Empire Strikes Back, Secret of NIMH and many others. The audio tools were much more primitive back then. This is probably one such case.

I don't mean to pick apart the release or anything by the way. It was just something that took me out of it the first time I listened. Not something I went hunting for. 

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh wow. That's bad.

Yeah. It is a bit jarring. It's too bad it's on a previously unreleased track as well. Could've at least used the OST to patch it if it was one of the other tracks.

Just now, TSMefford said:

I don't mean to pick apart the release or anything by the way. It was just something that took me out of it the first time I listened. Not something I went hunting for. 

But really, you must understand that you cannot correct such errors when they are inherent in the tape. That's not something that occurs during a modern remix of clean source material.