James Horner's THE LAND BEFORE TIME (1988) - NEW Intrada 2020

Jay

Am I correct that the scene where Cera comes upon unconscious Sharptooth is in Separate Paths? Even though the scene is in the middle of Foraging for Food? And that parts of that scene were tracked with the Cera slamming rock section of Sharptooth and the Earthquake? And that means that Separate Paths may perhaps not only have the original scoring of that section but also the scene's original placement?

Or am I wrong

On 11/9/2020 at 8:06 AM, MedigoScan said:

I recently saw the movie again as well just to match it up with the music

And what I find slightly interesting (which I should have already realized before since the track was already released) is how 'Foraging for Food' seems to have rearranged itself

The third section for the scene where Cera recalls about seeing Sharptooth is instead used earlier for her actual meeting with Sharptooth (complete with tracked music at the end for his reawakening), leaving the later scene unscored.

It cant be that the scenes were shifted around, since that wouldnt make sense chronologically.

I only noticed because I always figured the missing music for the Cera/Sharptooth scene would be there on a complete release.

I saw that, and I am having a hard time with the broad wording of it, perhaps I am just dense.

It seems like:

Foraging for Food: Littlefoot meets Ducky/(skipping over Cera and Sharptooth)/Petrie and the Tree Star/Cera and the Bones/Then what?

Separate Paths: then has the Cera and Sharptooth sequence in it? or does it just have a bit of it tracked in from music written for another sequence?

I think he is saying that the cue is not used as intended in the film, but tracked?

On 11/9/2020 at 8:06 AM, MedigoScan said:

what I find slightly interesting  is how 'Foraging for Food' seems to have been rearranged

The third section is used for the scene where Cera recalls [recounts?] seeing Sharptooth is instead used earlier for her actual meeting with Sharptooth (complete with tracked music at the end for his reawakening), leaving the later scene unscored.

It cant be that the scenes were shifted around, since that wouldnt make sense chronologically.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:59 AM, Jay said:

It's like this

Schumann 3rd symphony 1st mvt, but faster. As far as land before time, it’s a Prokofiev carbon copy. All in all, Horner was not a very original composer. Williams definitely borrowed stylistic ideas from classical composers, but never as overtly as Horner did. There are so many examples. Can’t say I’m a fan. 

1 minute ago, Spider-Fal said:

What did he steal for Krull? If there is some classical music that siubds like that I want to hear it!

Krull might not have as much recognizable melodies, but stylistically, it’s completely unoriginal. Just look up Richard Strauss, Gustav Mahler, etc... One thing that comes to mind from Apollo 13. Launch theme, complete rip-off of a melody from a french composer’s (Duruflé I think, played the piece a few years ago) Requiem. Can’t remember the exact part, but it’s the same melody, even in the same key. Anybody remember Troy? Well Shostakovitch 5th symphony is in there,  note for note. He even stole from JG...which he didn’t appreciate if what I read is accurate. 

21 hours ago, blondheim said:

I saw that, and I am having a hard time with the broad wording of it, perhaps I am just dense.

It seems like:

Foraging for Food: Littlefoot meets Ducky/(skipping over Cera and Sharptooth)/Petrie and the Tree Star/Cera and the Bones/Then what?

Separate Paths: then has the Cera and Sharptooth sequence in it? or does it just have a bit of it tracked in from music written for another sequence?

I apologize for the phrasing.

You are sorta correct about how Foraging for Food goes song-wise. But after the music for 'Cera and the Bones' you get the music for the Cera/Sharptooth scene.

Except the last part of that scene is replaced with music tracked from Sharptooth and the Earthquake (2:30-3:12 ish) and then Separate Paths (3:03-3:21).

I was just curious because the actual scene that comes after 'Cera and the Bones' is unscored and has Cera recall how that encounter went. 

And because the last few seconds of Foraging for Food still plays at the end of that scene, I wondered if the whole 4th part of that track (5:28-End) was originally meant to go with that unscored scene.

Slight aside: Separate Paths also has a few differences compared to the movie, which probably just means more minor scenes where trimmed before Sharptooth's second attack.

This is one of the best expanded releases I've ever seen. Simple presentation, unadorned with bonus tracks or alternates. I really like the new horn solo in Great Migration. I can't wait for Willow. I will still always expect the fully fleshed out Diana Ross song after Whispering Winds. It just seems right after the long-lined and careful development of the ideas over the previous nine minutes. Apparently there was once a traveling montage there that it unaccompanied. So I will never be giving up the OST but The Land Before Time is not much longer in complete form and of such high quality that I imagine I will be pulling this out A LOT

20 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

Krull might not have as much recognizable melodies, but stylistically, it’s completely unoriginal. Just look up Richard Strauss, Gustav Mahler, etc... One thing that comes to mind from Apollo 13. Launch theme, complete rip-off of a melody from a french composer’s (Duruflé I think, played the piece a few years ago) Requiem. Can’t remember the exact part, but it’s the same melody, even in the same key. Anybody remember Troy? Well Shostakovitch 5th symphony is in there,  note for note. He even stole from JG...which he didn’t appreciate if what I read is accurate. 

If Horner ever had an excuse for copying, it's Troy. He did the damn thing in 2 weeks tops. 

Got my replacement CD! Thanks, Intrada!

The horns are definitely back! SO prominent now in the opening track.

Another easy way to see if you have the new disc is to check the CD-TEXT. Originally there was a goof/joke on track 7 "The Rescue , Discovery Of The Great Scott Valley". On the new disc, that is gone. It merely is the track name as it should be.

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

If i ordered it from intrada now, would i get the new version or should I specifically ask for it in the order form?

Think all the stock now is the "updated" version.

Karol

• 1 month later...

So, I've just received my copy of the LLL new CD. Which track is missing an overlay? 

Does LLL issued a replacement track for it?

Do I have to sue someone? What is my recourse?

:mrgreen:

35 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So, I've just received my copy of the LLL new CD. Which track is missing an overlay? 

Does LLL issued a replacement track for it?

Do I have to sue someone? What is my recourse?

:mrgreen:

La-La Land Records had nothing to do with The Land Before Time; That's an Intrada CD.

Track #1 wasn't missing an overlay, it used the wrong take for a section (1:55-2:12).

Only the initial batch that shipped out to customers the first week had the wrong take.  Every copy since is a fixed version.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

La-La Land Records had nothing to do with The Land Before Time; That's an Intrada CD.

Track #1 wasn't missing an overlay, it used the wrong take for a section.

Only the initial batch that shipped out to customers in November had the wrong take.  Every copy since is a fixed version.

Woops Intrada.

How do I know if I have the new version?

You know you have to new version because you just ordered it recently

If you look at this very page, people received the fixed version as early as Nov 27

The other way to tell is listen to 1:55-2:12 of track #1.  If it's a stunning performance that matches the old OST album, that's the fixed version.  If it's a lackluster performance, that's the first pressing.

Just compare to track #1 of the OST album on spotify

It's glaringly obvious if you have the crummier horn solo instead of the normal OST horn solo

I sent you a link in PM. Jay, com'on, I want an expert advice.

I listen to the Spotify version and mine, I really can't say if it's the same version or not.

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think the .txt in the old version had a track named "the great scott valley" it is written correct in the second pressing.

a .txt file... on the CD?

Hey guys, I'm very serious, I need someone who experienced the wrong version, to certify me if I have the corrected version or not.  Please contact me in PM. You saw in the purchased Thread that I bought the CD, so it's perfectly legal. 

I really want to know which version ScreenArchive sent me, because I didn't purchase the CD from Intrada directly.

20210108_115824.jpg

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

I actually like having the alternate take. I don't find it crummy, just not as brash. I wouldn't say I prefer it, just that I really enjoy hearing something new in a track I have been in love with since birth, it feels like

"Feel like what?"

0:39

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

I actually like having the alternate take. I don't find it crummy, just not as brash. I wouldn't say I prefer it, just that I really enjoy hearing something new in a track I have been in love with since birth, it feels like

I SHALL HAFF VORDZ WIZ YU, YANG MÄN! :stick:

• 2 months later...

I've really grown to love this score in only a few listens. This expansion has been on steady rotation over the last few weeks.

But the more I listen, the more distracting those clunky analogue performance edits have become -- especially because they occur at such crucial dramatic crescendos. I'm guessing these flaws were inherent in the album master but it's a shame the opportunity wasn't taken to clean them up, given they had the 6-track masters at their disposal. Would it really have been that much work to smooth over 2-3 rough analogue edits?

Anyway, still glad to have this score (which was a blind purchase) in my collection, small gripes notwithstanding.