Did your War of the Worlds (Intrada) arrive defective?

Josh500

Did your War of the Worlds (Intrada) arrive defective?   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Did your War of the Worlds (Intrada) arrive defective?

• No, it was flawless.
    • Yes. I'll elaborate below...

Obviously this poll is only for people who have already received their copy! 

Let's find out how widespread this problem really is. 

Update: Just ripped my copy and listened to the last 10 tracks. No problem with my copy, no scratches whatsoever. 

:groupwave:

IMG_20201024_205309~2.jpg

Yes, I couldn't rip the last few tracks.  Just got a replacement and am ripping it right now.  The disc drive seemed to struggle less with the replacement.  Now I'm spot checking the results for the skips.

14 hours ago, King Mark said:

yes. c.d. 1 skips on the last tracks.  As I elaborated before

Why always you? Weird. 

I never had problems with any of my JW CDs that I got through the mail. The worst things to happen to me were broken cases, broken teeth, and missing (artwork) teeth... 

I had only one experience with a brand new but flawed CD, which I couldn't correctly rip no matter how many times I tried. But that was a language learning CD, not a music CD.

12 hours ago, Molly Weasley said:

I did have to re-rip the last couple tracks, some of them multiple times, before it would stop skipping. But it eventually worked fine, and works in my car too.

Well, this may still be (slightly) defective. Unless there was a smudge on it and you wiped it off? 

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

Finally, I'm doing well to wait to order it in December! They'll have time to retire the defective CDs...

Yeah, if it's still available then. 

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Only those with a Darth Vader avatar have flawed CDs...:huh:

Maybe Luke Skywalker is sitting at Intrada, sending out the CDs... :D

4 minutes ago, John Chambers said:

The same issue others have had with the last few tracks of disc 1. Intrada sent a replacement disc out within days of me reporting the fault. Glad most copies appear to be okay.

Sorry to hear that. 

Then there seems to be a defective batch indeed! I wonder how this can happen... With these specialty labels, it seems to happen rather often! 

I guess the ripping issue is up to the device you rip the CD with. The pressing seems to be okay, it is just a natural error of overlong CDs.

EDIT: I like the new look of JWFan, however, the format is fucked on my phone.

17 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Only those with a Darth Vader avatar have flawed CDs...:huh:

Marshall Mathers is probably as evil for the soundtrack community as Darth Vader, so it was the only logical consequence that my copy wouldn't rip flawlessly.

Okay, one track had two flubs, after my first attempt of ripping it, but it went well the second time.

Same thing happened to me with the End of the Disc 1 of the Rocketeer re-pressing recently.  I'd say it's a replication plant issue.

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Well, this may still be (slightly) defective. Unless there was a smudge on it and you wiped it off? 

I just assumed it was my disk drive which is not excellent. But could be, that doesn't usually happen. It did work eventually! 

I ripped cd1 and it sounds fine (no scratches in the cd anyway)

I ripped cd2, and halfway the album no glitches sofar, even when it has a pair of little scratches near the hole, where the 1st tracks are burnt. I'll check the second half today.

I wonder if Intrada has identified the affected batch and replaced their in stock inventory. I want to order this tomorrow with TLBT but am nervous of getting a faulty disc. If I don't order tomorrow I will not get this until next year, if at all. Decisions...

2 hours ago, Drew said:

I've found that ripping to WAV files with iTunes causes CDs to rip correctly even if they're scratched.

That's how I ripped it and it skips

19 hours ago, King Mark said:

That's how I ripped it and it skips

Why not try EAC? I've had discs that iTunes refuses to rip (even to WAV) rip perfectly with EAC.

Darn! This is like a freaking lottery! 

You place your order, and only the few lucky ones get a flawless copy... The rest, so sorry, maybe next time.

What the hell! 

I think all of you that had to rip  it 2-3 times before it finally worked have technically defective c.d.'s.

I never had to rip a c.d. 2-3 times for it to work before. Imagine having to listen to every c.d. in your collection for skips after ripping them...

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

I think all of you that had to rip  it 2-3 times before it finally worked have technically defective c.d.'s.

I never had to rip a c.d. 2-3 times for it to work before. Imagine having to listen to every c.d. in your collection for skips after ripping them...

It cleaned my laser and it worked flawlessly.

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Imagine having to listen to every c.d. in your collection for skips after ripping them...

You don't have to. I use a programm called CDex for ripping, which in "Full Paranoia" mode double checks and checks each disk access and repeats reading until it is convinced it read correctly. Takes a bit more time than with other programs, but in the end you can be sure you got a flawless rip. Or if the program actually tells you it could not read the disk properly, then you know something has really gone wrong.

Btw. my WotW CDs both ripped without any problems. However this time the case was totally crushed.   :(

Just ripped the two discs on my laptop and all seems to have gone right. I checked the final tracks on disc one and played fine.

Will listen to this properly on my stereo system later this evening, but it seems all is fine with my copy.

Mines fine.

every once and a while I’ll get a cd where a track or 2 may not rip correctly. I just give my drive a 5 minute rest and retry and it works just fine. 

Got my replacement disk 1 from SAE and it looks scratch free but they wrote a 51$ value on the customs declaration when it was a free replacement and the set is actually 30$ . It got through but I could have been hit with  extra taxes .

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Got my replacement disk 1 from SAE and it looks scratch free but they wrote a 51$ value on the envelope (for customs) when it was a free replacement and the set is actually 30$ . I could have been hit with  15$ customs charge like the disaster box earlier this year.  It got through but I'm not too happy about this.

Ordering from Intrada directly might be a solution :)

I won't even try to rip my replacement c.d. There's no scratches on it so I'll assume it works and leave it at that

19 hours ago, Chewy said:

Ordering from Intrada directly might be a solution :)

nah it's ok, they told me they made a mistake. 

• 2 months later...