Messageboard update -> 4.5.4 , Roadmap 2020/2021

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi,   yeah the men with the good english is back    1. We have a new messageboard update. Switch to the latest version 4.5.4. See the changelog below.    2. Update the Wor

I quickly fixed the mobile avatar issue, will work on other issues momentarily 

Not so good on mobile! 

So, let's see.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Screenshot_20201025-113008_Firefox.jpg

It seems mobile view is not quite sorted out yet. Profile pics are offcenter on desktop too, as if maybe that resize from 150 to 120 wasn't necessary after all.

Clicking the titles in Unread Content doesn't bring you to the first unread post, only the little circle or star next to it does that again.

Probably nothing to do with the update, been the same before that, but the new subforums Jay recently created don't show up in the upper quick access tab or the mobile sidebar.

Possibly just personal preference but I find it weird how the usernames are such a different (and bold) font to everything else.

Would probably need heavier layout tweaking and box resizing if possible but the upper half the screen is taken up by anything but the actual relevant topic list in some screens like unread content, even more on mobile.

DdzO8Lk.png

Some threads have this weird sidebar with statistics, and select popular posts and images with no way to look at them in context.

The edit button is hidden under the top right 3 dots, not next to the quote button.

A tad strange that the blue bar's text is a superior white on the left but a less legible dark grey on the right.

Yep came here to post the same thing about the profile pics

Only having that issue on mobile (iPhone) though, the layout is fine on desktop but yes the pics are off-center

The new "1 month later... 2 weeks later...." thing between posts is weird, not a fan but whatevs

I just fixed that.

I think everything is fixed everywhere now - please continue to post any thing new I should look into here

4 hours ago, Holko said:

Clicking the titles in Unread Content doesn't bring you to the first unread post, only the little circle or star next to it does that again.

FIXED!!

Probably nothing to do with the update, been the same before that, but the new subforums Jay recently created don't show up in the upper quick access tab or the mobile sidebar.

Huh.  I'm stumped on this one.  Can't figure it out.

Possibly just personal preference but I find it weird how the usernames are such a different (and bold) font to everything else.

Is this any different now?

Would probably need heavier layout tweaking and box resizing if possible but the upper half the screen is taken up by anything but the actual relevant topic list in some screens like unread content, even more on mobile.

I think this is better on mobile now?  I don't see the problem on desktop

Some threads have this weird sidebar with statistics, and select popular posts and images with no way to look at them in context.

I like that sidebar!  I don't think it's "weird".  On mobile, it appears under the first post.

The edit button is hidden under the top right 3 dots, not next to the quote button.

That is kind of annoying, but I don't think I can change it

A tad strange that the blue bar's text is a superior white on the left but a less legible dark grey on the right.

Can you elaborate on this?

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is this any different now?

They still look kinda strange to me, a different font but too thick and bold. But again, just preferences, only really counts if enough people share it.

Can you elaborate on this?

Well, just look up there. Either everything in the blue field should be white, including the grey "create", bell, envelope, username on the right, or these grey ones on the right should be in a lighter box.

I like that sidebar!  I don't think it's "weird"

By now I did find out you can go to those posts by clicking the date. It still restricts the actual posts in the topic to only 3 quarters of the screen all the way down even when it only appears on the top of the page. Probably could get used to that but not the greatest.

I think this is better on mobile now?  I don't see the problem on desktop

Screenshot_20201025-160200_Firefox.jpg

The topics would show up under "condensed/expanded", half the screen is wasted. Don't think you could hide "stream options" and "show filters" though.

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

The topics would show up under "condensed/expanded", half the screen is wasted. Don't think you could hide "stream options" and "show filters" though.

If you change the "time period" from "365 days" to "anytime", that frees up some space.  I can't for the life of me find a way to make this the default option

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

Well, just look up there. Either everything in the blue field should be white, including the grey "create", bell, envelope, username on the right, or these grey ones on the right should be in a lighter box.

Fixed!!

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

By now I did find out you can go to those posts by clicking the date. It still restricts the actual posts in the topic to only 3 quarters of the screen all the way down even when it only appears on the top of the page. Probably could get used to that but not the greatest.

I have control to make that wider based on the size of the user's own setup - IE, % of screen space.  I just set it to 85%.  I think this is preferable?

I think the old font in posts looked better. That is, the new font seems to be normal and the same size, but it is less convenient to read it, it seems smaller than it actually is. On the other hand, if you return the old font, it can look strange with the new design.
This is just my opinion.

Hehe, yes. Mr. Fart who had the... accident earlier today.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:
3 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, same here. On cell phones.

+ 1. It looks ridiculous.

Apparently, on my cell, I'm called "Fart".

Apparently, on my cell, I'm called "Fart".

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

Screenshot a sample text with them all and we'll vote on them in a poll :lol:

Default:

image.png

Inter:

image.png

Lato:

image.png

Open Sans:

image.png

Roboto:

image.png

Roboto Slab:

image.png

Montserrat:

image.png

Merriweather:

image.png

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

UPDATE: Just installed a free dark theme if anyone wants to check it out!

:w00t:

Doesn't work great with the editor and some of these emojis but it could be a lifesaver for nightly mobile browsing!

Love it!

Interesting that it carries over between mobile and desktop, change it on one and it changes on the other. Whatever, it's easy enough to access.

2 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

How about a theme that looks like the quoted text. It's either bright white or black.

I can definitely install all the free themes I can find!

Just now, Drew said:

Can we get a Previous JWFan Theme?

What parts specifically do you wish weren't changed?  Are you only talking about coloring or something else?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

What parts specifically do you wish weren't changed?  Are you only talking about coloring or something else?

The first thing that I didn't like was the green notifications.

Re: Thread stats

Cool addition, no problems with it save for the fact that it leaves a lot of grey space under it on the page and squishes posts (most noticeably longer ones) into what may as well be a newspaper column space. Is there any chance it could only appear, say, on the first page of a thread? 

Otherwise I'm sure we will all get used to this update in no time, as is always the case. Thanks for being so good about ironing out the wrinkles @Jay!

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Re: Thread stats

Cool addition, no problems with it save for the fact that it leaves a lot of grey space under it on the page and squishes posts (most noticeably longer ones) into what may as well be a newspaper column space. Is there any chance it could only appear, say, on the first page of a thread? 

It was very skinny before, but I fixed things a while ago to be much wider now. You think it's still too skinny?