Messageboard update -> 4.5.4 , Roadmap 2020/2021

The uncropped versions of everyone's avatar images were always available to be seen by just going to their profile and clicking on the image there

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi,   yeah the men with the good english is back    1. We have a new messageboard update. Switch to the latest version 4.5.4. See the changelog below.    2. Update the Wor

I quickly fixed the mobile avatar issue, will work on other issues momentarily 

Not so good on mobile! 

It's funny that now the avatar crop function is only relevant for the "last reply" in the topic list.
It is also embarrassing that there is too little space between the post text and the avatar, it looks strange. And I still think posts are best displayed at least in the middle of the page (they shouldn't be wider, it's just annoying with a big gray space on the right).

On 10/28/2020 at 5:36 PM, Jay said:

Oh, snap. I've been wasting my time.  The guy who made the theme is working on a fix to the exact two issues that bug me the most!

https://invisionfocus.de/forums/topic/88-bravo-6-english-support/

Looks like it will be available soon

And he's submitted the fixed version!  I just checked and I can't install it yet, so hopefully it will appear for me soon

Here’s a minor usability issue that may not be fixable.  In mobile view, “Mark forum is read” is now all the way at the bottom of the page.  Not likely to be a setting to move that up, but it’s a bit of an irritant!

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Here’s a minor usability issue that may not be fixable.  In mobile view, “Mark forum is read” is now all the way at the bottom of the page.  Not likely to be a setting to move that up, but it’s a bit of an irritant!

Nothing I have control over.  I also never understand the point of that button, personally.  Don't you just open up Unread Content and click the threads you want to read and ignore the rest?

Huh.  Seems like it would take longer to find interesting threads that way.  If you click Unread Content you'll pretty much see everything from GD and JW at the top anyway, since no one hardly ever uses the marketplace or the review board

As I said, a lot of small things. Like loading a page and when you tap something, it thinks you tapped something far above that, and you had to jiggle it up and down to get it to work properly. I have noticed some of them disappeared after the update.

I'm really sorry to dwell on this - will the desktop format be staying with the really horizontally thin threads? (i.e. all the grey space to the right of the threads caused by the 'Replies/Created/Last Reply' box)?

I'm not seeing anything "thin" at all - though my desktop is 1920x1200.  Are you using a 4:3 monitor, or perhaps using a window size that isn't full width?  If the latter is the case, you can make the window even thinner, and the sidebar will eventually move to be under the first post on the page, like how it works on mobile

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm not seeing anything "thin" at all - though my desktop is 1920x1200.  Are you using a 4:3 monitor, or perhaps using a window size that isn't full width?  If the latter is the case, you can make the window even thinner, and the sidebar will eventually move to be under the first post on the page, like how it works on mobile

OK, we're onto something here.  I'm using a MacBook laptop at 2304 x 1440 and anything like full screen size (where the browser uses most of the available space on the desktop), the sidebar is on the right and looks like this the attached.

Only if I make my browser (Safari) really small (like two thirds of the screen, with lots of the desktop showing) does the side bar move to under the first post of the page.

I don't suppose there's any way to 'force' that sidebar to always render under first post, meaning I can use the full horizontal width?  I really appreciate it.

Screenshot 2020-11-03 at 9.50.56PM.png

Yes, I have the global option to make it appear there only, unfortunately there is no option to make it a user by user setting. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yes, I have the global option to make it appear there only, unfortunately there is no option to make it a user by user setting. 

OK, if you do ever decide to make that change I for one would be really appreciative.  

Thanks either way for all you do!

On 11/1/2020 at 4:57 PM, Jay said:

And he's submitted the fixed version!  I just checked and I can't install it yet, so hopefully it will appear for me soon

OK the JWFan Dark is now the new fixed version he uploaded, hopefully everything is OK with it...

I can add variant themes in the future (people have requested more color options than just "mostly white" or "mostly black", too) -- trying to get these 2 fully stable first before I start making copies and changing colors, and then I'd have to copy THOSE and make a "(small avatars)" variant of each one...

certainly all doable, but only as my free time allows!

About the "thinness" of threads on desktop mode:

The default (and Dark) themes have a feature called "fluid width" turned on, with a value of 85%.  Just now, I've made 7 copies of the default theme each with a unique adjustment to this feature for those of you who care about this to play around with and provide feedback!

JWFan (Default) = 85% fluid width

JWFan Off = Fluid Width feature completely disabled

JWFan 50 = 50% fluid width

JWFan 60 = 60% fluid width

JWFan 70 = 70% fluid width

JWFan 80 = 80% fluid width

JWFan 90 = 90% fluid width

JWFan 100 = 100% fluid width

Please experiment with the various options and provide you feedback here!

In addition to just looking at pages with your browser maximized, remember to adjust the browser window and see when the sidebar disappears, etc.

Firstly, thanks @Jay for doing all this in your free time - it's so appreciated.  Thank you.

Okay! So on JWFan100 the thread is as 'wide' as I can get the threads (see pic) - and probably +30% the width of the JWDefault version on my 2304 x 1440 laptop.  This is with the Safari browser with only a thin border around the desktop i.e. pretty much maximised.  Shrinking the browser size the sidebar moves under the first post at about two thirds of that 'maximised size'.  I wouldn't use that as I like the bigger browser size.

So overall an improvement and it's now definitely usable!  There's still wasted grey real estate of course to the right of the thread where a wider thread would still be better (I guess the only means would be the global sidebar turnoff, but of course totally appreciate why you might not want to do that), but on JWFan100 it's now more usable at 2304 x 1440. I attached both so you can see.

Again, thank you for this opportunity to help you test.

JWFan Default.png

JWFan 100.png

OK the themes are now updated!

@ragoz350 you can now choose "Small Avatars" in either regular or Dark to go to the way IPBoard expects us to have our avatars

@GlastoEls you can now choose "Wide" in either regular or Dark to have the wider views on Desktop

(both these changes affect dektop only, mobile should be identical no matter what theme you pick)

Anyone notice a synch disconnect between one's phone browser version of the site and the desktop browser version? They used to seamlessly compliment each other, an account's reading history would be saved on all logged in devices; but now whenever I return to one platform after viewing content on a different device earlier, pages go back to where they were the last time that particular device was used. Notifications, too, become unread again.