2020 JWFan Composition Competition!

Jurassic Shark

Fellow JWFans, let's have a friendly, informal composition competition! It's open for everyone, learned and novices, and there's only one rule: the piece has to be for one musician. No fancy samples are needed if you don't have or want to bother with that - a midi playback is OK, or you coud record your own performance. People can post their entries here when they're ready, and on 1 December I'll make a poll with each entry. So we've got a little more than a month to come up with something interesting.

Let the composing begin!

EDIT: Posting compositions already made before the announcement of the competition is not okay, so there's in fact two rules. Part of the challenge is to see what you can come up with during the contest period.

EDIT 2: Deadline extended until 15 December.

EDIT 3: Here's the poll!

He'd have to transcribe it to a single instrument.

Besides, posting compositions already made before the announcement of the competition is not okay. Part of the challenge is to see what you can come up with during the contest period.

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

Start first by encouraging our friend @Nick Parker and his band Materia Community.

https://bandcamp.materiacollective.com/album/otherworld-a-tribute-to-silent-hill

Materia community is more a label than a band...

3 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

Materia community is more a label than a band...

You are right, so what's the band name? Otherworld?

On 11/3/2020 at 7:21 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes, you can use a piano. Why do you think that's unfair?

Because you can have polyphony on a piano and harmonies, whereas you can't with a flute, or clarinet, or a violin (save for double stops). 

I am keeping it as simple as possible. I am not used to composing instrumental pieces for one instrument. I just wrote some songs and I don't plan to torture you with my voice. And in the end I need to be able to perform it. That gives me some restrictions.

But restrictions are good and I like taking the challenge.

Anyway, don't expect too much. 

By the way. What length are you expecting?

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

And in the end I need to be able to perform it. That gives me some restrictions.

You're free to post a midi file.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

By the way. What length are you expecting?

No limitations. :)

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am getting prepared for the most embarrassing experience of my life presenting my ridiculous output side by side with actual composers.

I can't speak for the others, but I'm not an actual composer. So we're at least two. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, I'll start to write my ideas into Sibelius, and start to figure out of the structure of the piece.

@Marian Schedenig, are you joining for the competition? @Ludwig? I reckon you can compose a decent piece of music in a single evening. :)

The last time I "composed" something was some 20 years ago, before I knew enough about music to realise that I have no clue (or at the very least not the experience to have sufficient skill or inspiration) to write anything that deserves to be heard.

I'm presuming that a solo piece implies something written for a solo musician in performance. So a piece could definitely be written for a drumset, but not Drumset + Orchestra.

Unless JS had something else in mind of course.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Who's joining for the competition? Had you had enough time, or should we extend the deadline by, let's say, two weeks?

2 more weeks would be nice! Been kinda swamped lately.

9 hours ago, KK said:

I'm presuming that a solo piece implies something written for a solo musician in performance. So a piece could definitely be written for a drumset, but not Drumset + Orchestra.

Indeed.

9 hours ago, KK said:

2 more weeks would be nice! Been kinda swamped lately.

Deadline extended until 15 December.

On 16 December, I make a poll with the contributions.

9 hours ago, KK said:

I can't think of a worse example to make clear what solo piece means than a drumset in an orchestra. 

@Jurassic Shark

If I do, say, a piece for oboe, is it allowed to give it, say, a harp backing, or a simple chord backing, or just naked oboe?