2020 JWFan Composition Competition!

Jurassic Shark

A drumset, by definition, is several individual instruments played together, hence "set". 

So if a drumkit, which includes like 4 different percussion instruments, is allowed, then you might as well allow 4 different wind instruments. 

I'd make the rules cleaner and say it's for one individual musician. 

• 2 weeks later...

No. I mean, if you can still work on such things like structure and harmonization at this point in time. But, yeah, you are creating one of these midi-clorian-files.

Anyway. Good luck.

Looking forward to anything what will come out here.

Alright, after 5 minutes I am done. Here is my piece, titled "La belle adlib d'un homme inexpérimenté". It is a 5-minute completely improvised piano piece with Jazz inspiration.

Here's the twist: I can't play the piano. Enjoy.....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b17SigcXnl9dL5QQ8xudpygrJOMTKEMu/view?usp=sharing

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

That Brings me to an interesting question: Is Improvisation composition?

Technically you are "composing" sound, so in a way yes, if you're good at playing/improvising. If it's anything like that I wrote, then probably not. :lol:

I guess you both are right. I was just wondering if composition implies that it is reproducable. When I improvise usually I cannot remember what I did. I might have a chance when I recorded it. But usually it's lost like "tears in the rain".

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I guess you both are right. I was just wondering if composition implies that it is reproducable. When I improvise usually I cannot remember what I did. I might have a chance when I recorded it. But usually it's lost like "tears in the rain".

True, but I suppose you could apply the same argument to a piece of music that was written and recorded, but somehow complete destroyed before it could be distributed. Like for example if a composer wrote a piece of music for a film and before it could be used all of the sheet music was in a studio fire and somehow the tapes were water damaged beyond repair.

But the original tapes of E.T.'s original soundtrack album were destroyed by fire as far as I remember. 

But I get the point.

Unfortunately, my mobile refuses to play "La belle adlib d'un homme inexpérimenté"", but I will listen tomorrow. 

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Don't click the link, it's probably a virus.

Lol no it's actually a legitimate piece of music with some degree of structure, but it sounds like crap. 

I'd have uploaded it to Clyp if that was still accessible. 

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Lol no it's actually a legitimate piece of music with some degree of structure. But it sounds like crap.

OK, I'll listen when I've completed my own crappy piece - I don't want it to get infected.

8 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Got it up on SoundCloud now...

Now I managed to listen. It work quite well when you imagine some 100-years-old of silent movie comedy to it. 

But one question. At two points or so I was wondering if there were some edits, as if something was edited out. Is that the case?

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Now I managed to listen. It work quite well when you imagine some 100-years-old of silent movie comedy to it. 

But one question. At two points or so I was wondering if there were some edits, as if something was edited out. Is that the case?

Nothing was edited out, but I did start and stop recording 3 times.

I'll make the poll around lunch-time tomorrow morning. So let's say I'll include everything that's been submitted prior to 11:00 CET 16 December.

I tried to make a countdown counter, but it doesn't show up. Oh well, let's hope my composition abilities are better than my computer abilities.