2020 JWFan Composition Competition!

Jurassic Shark

2 minutes ago, KK said:

I'll try and get one in tonight!

One is sufficient!

But keep in mind rule no. 2: Posting compositions already made before the announcement of the competition is not okay.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IaVeDNtAWBkJjC1VMpLFTxV9IM9CA3bx/view?usp=sharing

Here's a very simple tune, and clocking in at under a minute...no development at all. Think of it as one statement of a simple theme. 

Instrument: celeste

I imagined being in an airport, alone, looking out the window as silent cars pass by. Maybe the flight got cancelled and I'll be late for Christmas. Anyway, that's the mood. 

2 hours ago, MrJosh said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IaVeDNtAWBkJjC1VMpLFTxV9IM9CA3bx/view?usp=sharing

Here's a very simple tune, and clocking in at under a minute...no development at all. Think of it as one statement of a simple theme. 

Instrument: celeste

I imagined being in an airport, alone, looking out the window as silent cars pass by. Maybe the flight got cancelled and I'll be late for Christmas. Anyway, that's the mood. 

Yes, that sounds like christmas. 

Here's my contribution!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L5UCL5ltg2EOmHo6waXnroRPC68dD-T0/view?usp=sharing

Now I can finally listen to what you guys have submitted.

It's funny how work tend to keep expanding until the deadline. :)

The deadline for submission has now ended. Contestants are allowed to make minor alterations to their piece at any time, also when the poll is up.

@gkgyver, I know you were working on something. If you submit today I'll include it in the poll.

9 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Couldn't get mine done in time.  My bad.  But I'll still finish it and share it as a noneligible extra if that's alright with @Jurassic Shark

Of course! And if it's almost done, you can share it today to join the poll and make minor alterations whenever you like.

14 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

I would love to post mine, but I won't be at my computer until the 22nd.

We'll add your entry to the poll on the 22nd. :)

This is about as good as I will get it.  Maybe too late for the poll, but here it is.  Now, it is very short.  The last minute of the file is just silence.  Consider it part of the piece if you'd like :lol:

I have not listened to any of the others yet.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtrYP3p6g5fljG-T2bRHwmLhAbQ7?e=gVxTck

21 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I heard you piece now a second time. And in my opinion it realy deserves more listens. There is a lot to discover. But I cannot really get it into my head. 

Second thought was, you really seem to have a crush with minimal music. I remembered our short exchange about Phillip Glass.

Third thought was, I wondered, if you are planning one day to actually play it by hand. I think, it would be really a fun piece to play. Even though I am afraid, for me that would mean about half a year of practicing.

53 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I heard you piece now a second time. And in my opinion it realy deserves more listens. There is a lot to discover. But I cannot really get it into my head. 

Second thought was, you really seem to have a crush with minimal music. I remembered our short exchange about Phillip Glass.

Third thought was, I wondered, if you are planning one day to actually play it by hand. I think, it would be really a fun piece to play. Even though I am afraid, for me that would mean about half a year of practicing.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

I have to admit that I had to take some shortcuts to make the deadline. There's a few transitions I want to improve when I have the time, and some harmonies I want to have a closer look at. If there's anything that sounds erratic or out of place, please give me a heads up.

I do like a limited part of Glass' output, such as his violin concerto and his Metamorphosis, but I think the minimalistic figures are also inspired by typical accompanienment patterns from the classical era, such as Mozart's works.

The piece was written with the intention that I should be able to play it myself. That will probably require a month or more of practicing every day - I hope to start on this during Christmas. I think the tempo makes it sound harder than it is. The challenge for me is to play fast enough with the left hand.

8 hours ago, SteveMc said:

This is about as good as I will get it.  Maybe too late for the poll, but here it is.  Now, it is very short.  The last minute of the file is just silence.  Consider it part of the piece if you'd like :lol:

Could you make it possible to play without downloading it? For example, put it on Gdrive.

Thank you for your explanation. I have just one note of critisism. At the very beginning you are running into some 7th chords between 0:13 and 0:20 and that is something Mozart would never have done in this way and in the whole character of the piece that feels for me a bit out of place looking at the rest of the piece. 

I mean the beginning is good, but for me the mentioned section does not fit -at least for me - with the character of the rest of the piece.

Of course you can claim here artistic freedom. So, bottom line, I would simply like it better if these chords there would stick more strict to the classcal harmonization.   

21 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Thank you for your explanation. I have just one note of critisism. At the very beginning you are running into some 7th chords between 0:13 and 0:20 and that is something Mozart would never have done in this way and in the whole character of the piece that feels for me a bit out of place looking at the rest of the piece. 

I mean the beginning is good, but for me the mentioned section does not fit -at least for me - with the character of the rest of the piece.

Of course you can claim here artistic freedom. So, bottom line, I would simply like it better if these chords there would stick more strict to the classcal harmonization.   

That's an interesting observation about the chords. I can think of several harmonies that I might want to alter, but not those two. :) 

I didn't mean to imply that I want to limit myself to the harmonic language of the classical era or Mozart, but I don't see how these chords are out of place. The chords were chosen to create a feeling of anticipation. You could probably say that the part from 0:12 to 0:27 is inspired by folk music and Grieg.

11 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Added to the competition.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's an interesting observation about the chords. I can think of several harmonies that I might want to alter, but not those two. :) 

I didn't mean to imply that I want to limit myself to the harmonic language of the classical era or Mozart, but I don't see how these chords are out of place. The chords were chosen to create a feeling of anticipation. You could probably say that the part from 0:12 to 0:27 is inspired by folk music and Grieg.

Probably it is less about the chords itself but about this pattern repeating a melody 1:1 above changing chords, which by the way I did permanently in my piece due to my lack of composition skills. And probably I just think, your piece better than that. 

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Probably it is less about the chords itself but about this pattern repeating a melody 1:1 above changing chords, which by the way I did permanently in my piece due to my lack of composition skills. And probably I just think, your piece better than that. 

The repeating pattern is inspired by folk music, and the same goes for its accompanienment from 0:12 to 0:27. I often find it interesting to start out in a simple (but hopefully interesting) manner, and then introduce variation by making things more complex. :)

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I often find it interesting to start out in a simple (but hopefully interesting) manner, and then introduce variation by making things more complex. :)

Looking forward to hear you one day playing the piece live.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Could you make it possible to play without downloading it? For example, put it on Gdrive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17eadXd5RP_Hp6hG177O_5SjqLesmq2HE/view?usp=sharing

17 hours ago, SteveMc said:

It sounds a little bit like the mothership from Close Encounters drifting through space wistling a hiking song.