Poll: Mike Matessino can only produce one Star Wars expansion. Which score do you choose?

crumbs

Mike Matessino can only produce one Star Wars expansion. Which score do you choose?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Mike Matessino can only produce one Star Wars expansion. Which score do you choose?

• The Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • Star Wars
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • The Force Awakens
    • The Last Jedi
    • The Rise of Skywalker
    • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

I had to go with TROS.

226 minute score vs the 76 minute OST and another ~10 minutes of unreleased music from the FYC leaves over 2 hours of unreleased material, much of which we've only heard in fragments in the final cut. It's both the greatest volume of unreleased music from any JW score and the most mysterious.

Realistically, 85% of the OT and PT have been covered (by the Anthology box, the SEs and various video game rips) and The Last Jedi's isolated score filled in most of those blanks. Sure, we all want Mike to assemble everything properly with first generation masters, but if I could only choose ONE then Rise of Skywalker would be the most revelatory expansion in JW's filmography.

I went with Revenge of the Sith - there's just a chunk of really great unreleased music - much of it integral to the narrative and I don't think the game rips are up to scratch in terms of quality or in editing. I'm so sick of accepting substitutes, settling for a variety of edits that make the whole score feel like more of a patchwork than a complete listening experience.

My question for any of the Sequel expansions would be whether Mike would have access to the hours of recorded material that I doubt Williams or the studios would allow to be released. Alternates for the finished scores is one thing, entire original versions that for whatever reason JJ wanted rescored would necessitate multiple more discs than the two it might take to do each score.

21 minutes ago, Arpy said:

My question for any of the Sequel expansions would be whether Mike would have access to the hours of recorded material that I doubt Williams or the studios would allow to be released. Alternates for the finished scores is one thing, entire original versions that for whatever reason JJ wanted rescored would necessitate multiple more discs than the two it might take to do each score.

Based on what we're seeing with the Solo expansion, I'm a little doubtful about physical releases for expansions of the Skywalker scores.

I don't follow FYCs, video game tracks, boots, etc., and I honestly am not super familiar with the music missing from the OSTs for AOTC, ROTS, TFA, TLJ, or TROS, so I'd go with TPM.  It's a score I love, and seems like it would be a mess to put the thing together in any logical way.  I'd entrust that to MM and let the other guys do the rest.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Based on what we're seeing with the Solo expansion, I'm a little doubtful about physical releases for expansions of the Skywalker scores.

The Solo score isn't the same as the Legacy films - for which I'm sure Disney will want to capitalize on physical media. Who knows though, which party instigated the Solo expansion?

15 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don't follow FYCs, video game tracks, boots, etc., and I honestly am not super familiar with the music missing from the OSTs for AOTC, ROTS, TFA, TLJ, or TROS, so I'd go with TPM.  It's a score I love, and seems like it would be a mess to put the thing together in any logical way.  I'd entrust that to MM and let the other guys do the rest.

It's not that messy actually, especially compared to the sequel trilogy scores. Since the sheet music leaked TPM is relatively straight-forward, so I'm positive Mike would make quick work of it.

Why is ROTS second winning? It's a lot of good stuff but we have most of it in good enough sound compared to some of the others.

I feel TROS has a huge amount of great music that we don't know of, so I voted for that. If not, maybe I'll go with TFTA for the same reason and after that ROTJ. 

How can anyone say the unreleased music from TROS is boring if most of it is unknown?

The fragments of early alternates heard in the film would imply the total opposite. Just look at that unused early version of Rey's Training (which briefly appears in the film version of Speeder Chase), plus all the tantalising cue titles for deleted scenes. 

35 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Why is TROS winning?! It's a lot of missing stuff, but it's boring, when you compare it to ROTS.

A strange question to ask.  You haven't noticed in all your time on earth that not every human holds the same opinions that you do?

All of it would sound incredible in full, it's not just about making the climax sound a bit better. The SE has a lot of problems beside virtual unlistenability near the end.

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

Remind me, where do we know that from?

I would have sworn there was an exact comment from Powell about it, but now I can't find it.  So presumably, I was just thinking about what was said in these posts:

On 9/22/2020 at 11:56 AM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It seems like something Powell really wanted to make happen, so I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, Chewy said:

If Disney let this happen for Solo (even if it's possibly because Powell really wanted it), there is no way we don't get expanded releases of JW scores very soon.

On 9/22/2020 at 2:01 PM, Edmilson said:

That said, I believe Powell was the one that made this release happen. He wanted to see more of his music out there (and the OST excludes some important bits), so he did the new release.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:13 PM, Disco Stu said:

But honestly the pessimist in me thinks this is a complete one-off that only happened because Powell really wanted to do it and that Disney doesn't really care and has no long-term plans for Star Wars music.

Does any of those 4 people remember if they are basing what they said off of a specific comment from Powell they saw?

52 minutes ago, Holko said:

Why is ROTS second winning? It's a lot of good stuff but we have most of it in good enough sound compared to some of the others.

I am not familiar with those video game extractions special mixes. I just know the original album from ROTS. And that always felt just like a glimpse through the key hole of this soundtrack.

Anyway, I think we all can agree (except Thor maybe) that we need all these expansions.

If you asked me, from which trilogy I would like to have the expanded edition I would clearly vote for the sequel trilogy.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Some people - myself included - do not factor in available of video game rips or bootlegs when discussing what is worthy for a competent producer to make a new official and legal product for.

I don't want Tintin more than War Horse because Tintin hasn't had a leak but War Horse has.  I want them both.

I voted TROS, for the same reasons listed above by others (largest amount of completely unreleased music). However, if the question had been about "only one trilogy", instead of "only one score", I would have voted for the prequels.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Some people - myself included - do not ever factor in available of video game rips or bootlegs when discussing what is worthy for a competent producer to make a new official and legal product for.

I don't want Tintin more than War Horse because Tintin hasn't had a leak but War Horse has.  I want them both.

Yes, but this is a hypothetical question where you have to make a decision to pick only one from all of them. I totally factor in every available scrap, no matter how legal, to be able to make that decision. We do have most of RotS from here and there, we do not have even half of TRoS. Or a lot of RotJ in not crap or dated sound.

Yea, you're entitled to wish for scores that have the least amount of clean music out there in games and boots, others are entitled to not factor those in.

(just saying in brackets that it was originally a partly sarcastic flip-answer to Brundlefly's preceding post, if you look at it in context)

I interpret this to mean that we could still get expansions from other producers for the rest of the films. So I picked TFA because I think Mike might be the only one to get all the weird alternates and so on to be included. That film in particular seems like you'd need all the alternates to get full picture of certain thematic ideas that were semi-dropped later in the writing process. Plus there are so many short cues, maybe Mike could find clever ways of making them more listenable. My edit of all available TROS material works really well and feels like a complete and satisfying experience on its own, whereas TFA suffers from too many short clips, incomplete cues, and tracking that's hard to undo, so it's more of a mess.

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

We’ve had wildly different early versions released before. Superman has quite a few, the alternate Binary Sunset, etc. I don’t know why the sequel scores should be any different, if Matessino were at the helm, at least. It’d certainly be frustrating if they were excluded, with all those tantalizing bits of otherwise unused cues tracked all over the place.

All three sequels would need 3-disc sets to really do them justice, with 174, 184, and 226 minutes of music recorded.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

TFA disc 1 and 2: The Final Score

TFA disc 3 and 4: The First Score

TFA disc 5: The Second Attempt (incomplete)

TFA disc 6: Alternates and Additional Music

TLJ disc 1 and 2: The Final Score

TLJ disc 3: Alternates and Additional Music

TROS disc 1 and 2: The Final Score

TROS disc 3 and 4: The First Score

TROS disc 5 and 6: We Don't Even Know What These Were For But Here's More

I love this, but that's what I mean when the time comes to expand this score, how much of the early versions would be released? How much of TFA and TRoS went through rewrites? I just think it's unrealistic to expect the whole thing as opposed to the C&C of the final scores plus a handful of alternates etc.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

I really want to vote ROTJ just because that score is screaming for a comprehensive release which finally assembles all the recorded music. The sound quality on the Demaster is stunning, so they've clearly unearthed some pristine elements since the SE was released. 

After analysing the spectrograms, it appears the lost album sessions have been found. No idea about Max Rebo though, I'll be slightly devo if that is still lost. 

But really, between all the alternates, different film/album recordings and SE revisions (the song and closing cue) that score desperately needs Mike's magic touch. 

If the poll was about which deserves to be done, unquestionably RotJ along with the rest of the OT. RotJ has some of the most satisfying thematic developments of the saga that either sound like crap on the releases we have or are discarded to do remakes of the OST. It's downright despicable.

Forty-three fucking years and we still don't have comprehensive, restored, remastered, pristine releases of these scores. Little, obscure scores to countless horror and scif-fi films can get their expansions out and about over the years, but not the most popular films scores of all time? 

10 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I interpret this to mean that we could still get expansions from other producers for the rest of the films.

Damn, someone found a loophole! :lol:

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I just think it's unrealistic to expect the whole thing as opposed to the C&C of the final scores plus a handful of alternates etc.

Cautiously optimistic for the sequels after Mike found a way to get all 5 versions of Boston Street Reunion on the WOTW set. Mixing them all around the presentation (2 in the film score, 2 as bonuses, 1 in the OST presentation) was a brilliant solution to avoid red flags from JW.

He could get very creative with the alternates in TFA/TROS. Considering how much was revised, he could almost present two totally different presentations (final film score and early film score), similar to the way each disc of CE3K had a self-contained listening experience but still included everything recorded.

Come to think of it, bundling the ROTJ OST in a theoretical ROTJ expansion would be a convenient way to present most of the concert suites plus album versions of Lapti Nek & Ewok Celebration and a partial alternate of 13m4 Leia Breaks the News.

I guess that's where he could get creative and mix them all around the set, like some alternates for POA being moved alongside the film versions (Train to Hogwarts, The Portrait Scene, Clown Out of the Cupboard, Map to Snow Scene) in addition to having ~30 minutes of alternates/album versions in the bonus section.

The great thing about that is that the material matched with the surrounding tracks, but we can't be sure if the original recorded versions in TFA or TRoS even match anything in the final film, it'd require it's own album.

I hope we get to hear all of it bit something tells me Disney might not be willing to give us too much insight into behind the scenes process. Why do I think that? Just check any behind Blu-ray extras for their films. While enjoyable, TROS documentary was mostly a giant puff piece. RO and Solo extras don't really address the huge changes at all. According to the author J.W. Rinzler, TFA making of book was cancelled due to it being too thorough and honest about the process. They just don't like to look bad. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but sweeping under the rug and  having tidy front story seems to be their modus operandi. To have all the alternates from TROS would be to admit the film was in trouble and that it went through some significant structural changes.

Karol

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I guess that's where he could get creative and mix them all around the set, like some alternates for POA being moved alongside the film versions (Train to Hogwarts, The Portrait Scene, Clown Out of the Cupboard, Map to Snow Scene) in addition to having ~30 minutes of alternates/album versions in the bonus section.

Absolutely! It’d certainly be great to have both ‘The Beam Is Released’ and ‘Sunbeam Strings’ (The Starkiller) in the main TFA presentation of an expanded release, for example, because they’re so different from each other, even though they were both written for the same scene.