Poll: Mike Matessino can only produce one Star Wars expansion. Which score do you choose?

crumbs

Mike Matessino can only produce one Star Wars expansion. Which score do you choose?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Mike Matessino can only produce one Star Wars expansion. Which score do you choose?

• The Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • Star Wars
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • The Force Awakens
    • The Last Jedi
    • The Rise of Skywalker
    • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

According to the author J.W. Rinzler, TFA making of book was cancelled due to it being too thorough and honest about the process. They just don't like to look bad. 

Yeah, that's a shame and I think it would've reflected poorly on Disney if the book recounts how they gave the middle finger to Lucas as a matter of fact and historicity. The truth is, that juicy controversy sells and I think it would've been a fascinating insight regardless if it made Disney turn red. It's like, 'that's what happened, what're you gonna do?'

Disney should've put their spin on it, try to rationalize everything because a decade from now, or sooner, people are going to start talking.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

The great thing about that is that the material matched with the surrounding tracks, but we can't be sure if the original recorded versions in TFA or TRoS even match anything in the final film, it'd require it's own album.

Probably Williams should just have written three fictional scores based on Lucas' treatments and let Giacchino do the actual films.

Really, TROS killed the sequel trilogy for me. Williams music is really the last actual spirit that is left in the movies. It deserves a respectful publication if not respectful movies.

But somehow I knew before that episode 9 would be bad. When I looked at my personal ranking of the previous movies I dscovered a pattern:

Best ever                                  5

brillant                                 4         6

very ok                         3                      7

defective               2                                  8

dissapointing   1                                              ?

So, I knew in a way what to expect. But I did not expect it to be that bad.

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Absolutely! It’d certainly be great to have both ‘The Beam Is Released’ and ‘Sunbeam Strings’ (The Starkiller) in the main TFA presentation of an expanded release, for example, because they’re so different from each other, even though they were both written for the same scene.

Definitely! So long as the alternates are different enough but stylistically similar, it makes complete sense to pair them in the film score presentation. It's a great way to flesh out JW's ideas for a scene and would be doubly effective on a score like TFA (where the film races from one scene to the next and he rarely gets the chance to develop ideas in single cues, unlike the generous pace he was afforded in TLJ).

It's no different to Mike putting two versions of Boston Street Reunion back-to-back in WOTW, or the two versions of Train to Hogwarts in POA, even combining the two versions of Vader's Funeral Pyre music (as a mini-Force Theme suite) all the way back in the ROTJ SE.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

even combining the two versions of Vader's Funeral Pyre music (as a mini-Force Theme suite) all the way back in the ROTJ SE.

I so so hope a future expansion keeps that! Both versions feel so short and alone on their own, that combination is the one place where they really got it right and they strengthen each other.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

I so so hope a future expansion keeps that! Both versions feel so short and alone on their own, that combination is the one place where they really got it right and they strengthen each other.

Yep, and so long as the alternate Leia Breaks the News was included as a bonus somewhere, you'd have clean endings for both versions.

19 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Why is TROS winning?! It's a lot of missing stuff, but it's boring, when you compare it to ROTS.

I agree. Compared to all the rest of the scores Williams last effort just leaves me cold. There's not one single new theme that interests me. 

14 hours ago, Holko said:

TFA disc 1 and 2: The Final Score

TFA disc 3 and 4: The First Score

TFA disc 5: The Second Attempt (incomplete)

TFA disc 6: Alternates and Additional Music

TLJ disc 1 and 2: The Final Score

TLJ disc 3: Alternates and Additional Music

TROS disc 1 and 2: The Final Score

TROS disc 3 and 4: The First Score

TROS disc 5 and 6: We Don't Even Know What These Were For But Here's More

I'm sorry if I appear like an ignoramus but is this seriously the amount of discs it would take to cover the sequel scores alone? 

25 minutes ago, stravinsky said:

I'm sorry if I appear like an ignoramus but is this seriously the amount of discs it would take to cover the sequel scores alone? 

Haha don't worry, it's a joke post. I'm pretty sure TLJ is right, and just from the amount of alternates and early versions some cues have based on leaked cue lists and sheet music, I suspect TFA or TROS might even need 4 rather than 3 discs if the producer wanted to present everything interesting and if most of it was recorded.

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

Haha don't worry, it's a joke post. I'm pretty sure TLJ is right, and just from the amount of alternates and early versions some cues have based on leaked cue lists and sheet music, I suspect TFA or TROS might even need 4 rather than 3 discs if the producer wanted to present everything interesting and if most of it was recorded.

Good god. Thankyou Holko. Well presently I'm the only one to gave voted for Rogue One. A tremendous effort considering it was written in four weeks. Will a complete expansion ever see the light of day like Solo?

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

It's probably like with sausages. I don't want to see how it gets actually made.

But alternates often present the composer's original intent, before the director requested changes or cues had to be cut down for a shorter edit.

Therefore alternates are often closer to the composer's intended score, fleshing out musical ideas that were neglected or replaced in the final cut. TROS is particularly guilty of that (Anthem of Evil theme).

48 minutes ago, crumbs said:

But alternates often present the composer's original intended music, before the director requested changes or cues had to be cut down for a shorter movie.

Therefore alternates are often closer to the composer's intended score, fleshing out musical ideas that were otherwise replaced in the final cut. TROS is particularly guilty of that (Anthem of Evil theme).

Don't get me wrong. I am a fan of alternate cues. But temp tracks are usually music taken from other films or composers put to the scenes just to show to the composer what kind of music the director is expecting in the particular scene. As far as I read Rian Johnson and his editor provided to John Williams a cut of the film with a complete temp track set using John Williams' own music from other films.

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Don't get me wrong. I am a fan of alternate cues. But temp tracks are usually music taken from other films or composers put to the scenes just to show to the composer what kind of music the director is expecting in the particular scene. As far as I read Rian Johnson and his editor provided to John Williams a cut of the film with a complete temp track set using John Williams' own music from other films.

Oh, I don't think anyone is arguing that temp tracks should be included on any Star Wars expansion. It should just be all the music Williams recorded for the film, assembled in narrative order (with anything surplus relegated to the end, like concert suites, source music or additional alternates).

Just now, crumbs said:

Oh, I don't think anyone is arguing that temp tracks should be included on any Star Wars expansion. It should just be all the music Williams recorded for the film, assembled in narrative order (with anything that doesn't fit into the film assembly relegated to the end).

But temp tracks are not recorded by Williams for the film. That's my point.

George Lucas for example used Holst's "The planets" as temp track for the original Star Wars. I don't need Lucas edit of that on an extra CD of the expansion.

RotS, easily.

While I may not be clamouring for the whole score, the album has sufficient omissions, and I enjoyed the film sufficiently, that there are a handful of unreleased moments that to my knowledge have never leaked.

Such as the full opening battle, some quieter moments later on, and, the funeral scene and Anakin's transformation into Vader. Honestly, leaving that latter cue off the album must be the ultimate headscratcher. JW must've decided it didn't fit in with his 'musical 'vision' in some bizarre way.

It's rather astonishing that in the age of digital releases and expansions falling out of the sky, we still only have the OSTs for RotS and AotC.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Definitely! So long as the alternates are different enough but stylistically similar, it makes complete sense to pair them in the film score presentation. It's a great way to flesh out JW's ideas for a scene and would be doubly effective on a score like TFA (where the film races from one scene to the next and he rarely gets the chance to develop ideas in single cues, unlike the generous pace he was afforded in TLJ).

It's no different to Mike putting two versions of Boston Street Reunion back-to-back in WOTW, or the two versions of Train to Hogwarts in POA, even combining the two versions of Vader's Funeral Pyre music (as a mini-Force Theme suite) all the way back in the ROTJ SE.

There's even at least one precedent in JW's own soundtrack presentations: the Always OST features both versions of Dorinda and Pete back-to-back in the same track.

The SE releases of the OT have everything I need. 

TPM:UE has everything I need. 

I have bootleg scores for ROTS, TFA, TLJ so i don't need more there. 

That leaves AOTC and Rogue One. I have the majority if AOTC, so I chose Rogue One. 

21 hours ago, Demodex said:

That leaves AOTC and Rogue One. I have the majority if AOTC, so I chose Rogue One. 

Get a bootleg for Rogue One so you can choose a better score :) 

33 minutes ago, Demodex said:

No one here has bothered to make one. 😞

There are bootlegs around which use the FYC, the OST and rips. Not sure if the sessions ever leaked, though.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Which frankly says it all.

There aren't many Giacchino fans here, so no surprises there!

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

No one here has bothered to make one. 😞

I did. I had it up on my YT channel and everything (before it was taken down). I did also find a couple leaked sources for I believe 2 cues, so I also need to incorporate those yet. I have to redo part of it since when I made it the lossless FYC hadn't leaked yet.

I still haven't decided how I'm going to vote on this. I want the OT for the remastering, the PT for the quality of the missing music, and the ST for the quantity of missing music.

I'm leaning toward TFA at the moment, but I dunno...

For additional music, the prequels (with a leaning to 2 and 3, given that TPM is substantially released, albeit in not exactly the ideal presentation), however for remastering, Empire. Sure, Jedi isn't great, but the Arista set contains pretty well all of the music and sounds pretty decent. However, on the Arista set, Empire has a couple of truly horrible edits, notably in the end credits and during a long note during the Carbon Freeze... I can't actually imagine how they got through quality control, especially given the attention lavished on this set otherwise. While the Special Edition fixes the horrible edits and presents the full score, it replaces these problems with sub-par mastering.