Do you speak about JW on dates?

Jurassic Shark

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

All I want is a companion with whom I can talk about the minutia of unreleased music and the smallest differences between film versions and album versions.

I have that.  I'm just not sure after this many decades if she listens.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:10 PM, Alex said:

You’d be surprised... usually when I speak to people they’ll mention HZ and then I’ll say “What about JW?” and they’ll give me a blank look and I’ll say “Star Wars... Harry Potter”, and they’ll be like “Oh yeah, I didn’t know his name”.

I suppose that’s marginally better than getting the “I thought he was dead” reply. Which has happened with me at least twice that I can recall.

"I like film music as well, especially John Williams."

"Who's John Williams?"

"He wrote the music to Star Wars."

"Oh, I don't watch Star Wars, so I wouldn't know."

Never saw her again.

I use the same rule I would for anything in my life. As you get closer to someone you start to open up about things. But if I feel there’s nothing there as far as continuing a relationship,  then I’m not going to talk about my personal life too much.

Of course I haven’t dated in 20 years, I’m not allowed to.

13 hours ago, KK said:

Powell was my wingman. My first girlfriend was feeling out the HTTYD theme on the piano when I spotted it, pointed it out and we became inseparable for 2 years or so.

She was a massive Giacchino fan though. Perhaps I should have seen the signs of doom...

Pity, you should have kept her. My significant other was quite impressed with him when she met him.

Of course I did. With my better half, she was already aware of my "addiction" long before we started dating. But then again, most people I know are aware of my love for John Williams' music so the topic comes up naturally. 

I was chatting with an NY-based Trinidadian babe a few months ago who had the biggest SW junk collection I've ever seen (even covered in SW tattoos), so when I decided to show her my SW soundtracks, she found it bewildering why anyone would ever want to hear that music on its own, let alone on a "CD". I mean... didn't she like SW? That was really weird.

My advise. Don't talk about it on dates . Likely the person you like will think your a weirdo.

Wait till they see your c.d. collection or something then mention it casually

On 11/5/2020 at 3:00 PM, King Mark said:

My advise. Don't talk about it on dates . Likely the person you like will think your a weirdo.

Well what good is she if you feel you have to conceal your taste in music or anything else you enjoy?

Some of you blokes here think women are all a bunch of philistines.

On 10/31/2020 at 1:11 AM, Bayesian said:

I suppose that’s marginally better than getting the “I thought he was dead” reply. Which has happened with me at least twice that I can recall.

You could be misinterpreting. Maybe they just misunderstood that Schindler's List anecdote. :D

Mark

• 5 months later...

My now wife used to listen to “A New Hope and End Credits” years ago when she was younger(12-14ish I think)to help her fall asleep at night. She also used to be able to play the piano and she liked to play “Across the Stars”. Now when I’m showering I listen to my “Sanskrit Sacrifice” edit I made when I’m showering and she hates it. She says it’s “scary music” and I reply with “it is incredible that these are people using their vocal cords to create something so terrifyingly amazing.”

Isn't it obvious that mentioning a love for film music during a conversation flowing naturally into musical preferences is normal? While bringing up your hopes for a complete Star Wars Anthology 21 CD Box Set after she asks about your future plans might be awkward? 

2 hours ago, Brando said:

My now wife used to listen to “A New Hope and End Credits” years ago when she was younger(12-14ish I think)to help her fall asleep at night. She also used to be able to play the piano and she liked to play “Across the Stars”. Now when I’m showering I listen to my “Sanskrit Sacrifice” edit I made when I’m showering and she hates it. She says it’s “scary music” and I reply with “it is incredible that these are people using their vocal cords to create something so terrifyingly amazing.”

So now you basically hate each others guts?

On 10/27/2020 at 2:37 PM, Smeltington said:

The last person I dated had, miraculously, already seen JW live! Ugh she was a keeper wasn't she. Why am I just realizing this now.

Have you called her now?

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Have you called her now?

Yes, but it didn't help. I'm going to focus on meeting someone new at one of the John Williams concerts this year. I plan on looking around to see which cute girls aren't laughing when he tells the Schindler story, because if someone isn't surprised to hear the punchline of that story, that's the mark of a true JWFan.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So now you basically hate each others guts?

Have you called her now?

No no, haha. I love her to death, but when I play that specific cue she gets, in a funny way(to me, at least), annoyed.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Try whispering it to her while going to sleep.

Two steps ahead of you. Sometimes I’ll be doing random stuff around the apartment and chanting “korah, korah...” and she’ll be like “stop it”😂

12 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

I wanna meet a good lookin sort who likes puttin on the record player and jammin to some Johnny Williams

Any nice lookin sheilas here who wanna find me private ryan?

Good luck!