Cutthroat Island vs Independence Day

WampaRat

Cutthroat Island vs Independence Day  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Two of the best scores of the 90s. Which one do you listen to the most?

• Cutthroat Island
    • Independence Day

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/20 at 06:00 PM

For me, it's actually quite tricky. I voted ID4 first and then changed it to CUTTHROAT. Both mean a lot to me, smack in the middle of my formative film music years. Both of them suffer a bit from 'bombasticism', and CUTTHROAT perhaps moreso because the OST is a bit too long. Meanwhile, STARGATE is my favourite Arnold, which I prefer even over ID4. But both are fantastic scores. Tough choice!

I don't know what it is about Cutthroat, but over the years I ended up liking it less than I used to. I think it has some amazing standout sequences like the Carriage Chase and basically all of the climax music... but everything inbetween just has become a slog for me. ID4 has a bit more highlights throughout and has more interesting "lulls" compared to Cutthroat. But in a way, both share similar problems.

I confess it took me a while to grasp Independence Day. I always preferred Stargate. But listening to the expanded release of ID4 was a terrific experience and for whatever reason something clicked for me and now hold it above Stargate. 

That being said, the pirate genre has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid (waaay before the PoTC movies) and the music to Cutthroat Island is just a abashed swashbuckling goodness. So that’s still my pic.

Cutthroat Island for me. Both are somewhat tiring in their noise and relentless enthusiasm but Debney's score feels tidier, more focused, better performed and recorded.

Karol