When you listen to music, do you listen to CDs?

Jurassic Shark

When you listen to music, do you listen to CDs?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. When you listen to music, do you listen to CDs?

First of all, since I transferred all my CDs to iTunes about 7-8 years ago, I have hardly played CDs. I haven't stored them away, they're still displayed on my shelf, though. That's the general story.

But it's funny you should ask this today, of all days, as that may change in the coming months:

I've had a Blu-ray player for 6 years, which was very inconvient for playing CDs. Two days ago, it broke down - the tray won't eject. I brought it to the store today, but the warranty has gone out, and they couldn't do anything. I probably have to throw it away. So what I did earlier today was to re-install my old high quality Pioneer DVD player from 2004-ish, which has been stored in the basement for years. On this, it's MUCH easier to play CDs. Vice versa, however, it's really bad at playing movies. I inserted some of my DVDs, and the quality was considerably lower than when I played them on my newer Blu-ray player. Not so strange, this is 16-year-old tech.

So in short - I can picture myself playing my ol' CDs much more often in the time to come. At least untill I get a new BR player.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I inserted some of my DVDs, and the quality was considerably lower than when I played them on my newer Blu-ray player. Not so strange, this is 16-year-old tech.

The magic of upscaling.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The magic of upscaling.

True.

But CD playing on my ol' Pioneer DVD player isn't only more convenient, the sound is also much better. It is, after all, primarily a CD player than can also play DVDs, really. The cheapo Blu-ray player couldn't match that. So what I lose in film viewing quality, I gain in music listening quality.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

True.

But CD playing on my ol' Pioneer DVD player isn't only more convenient, the sound is also much better. It is, after all, primarily a CD player than can also play DVDs, really. The cheapo Blu-ray player couldn't match that. So what I lose in film viewing quality, I gain in music listening quality.

Just listen to the OSTs and imaging the films (incomplete and in the wrong order :P).

Btw, @Thor, I've got a good Denon CD player that I was going to advertise online. If you're interested, I'll give you a good deal. It looks new, but there's one caveat: it has problems playing some of Hyperion's CDs with CD text. All other CDs (with and without CD text) work fine.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just listen to the OSTs and imaging the films (incomplete and in the wrong order :P).

Btw, @Thor, I've got a good Denon CD player that I was going to advertise online. If you're interested, I'll give you a good deal. It looks new, but there's one caveat: it has problems playing some of Hyperion's CDs with CD text. All other CDs (with and without CD text) work fine.

Thanks, but my dad has offered to donate his High End CD player to me when they move in a few months. I'll probably replace my Pioneer with that, and buy a new Blu for the films. I need to connect my LP player and Riad too. Too many components, too few outlets and too small apartment!

I had a great Denon CD player too, back in the day. Used my confirmation money to buy it. I eventually gave it to my younger brother, and since then it has been donated to someone else.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

I listen to most of my scores on itunes and spotify on my computer with a nice pair of headphones.

I don't have a sound system.

CDs are reserved for my car.  Where I almost always choose a cd over anything on my phone/ipod.

(almost) the same, here. It's CDs in the car, and streaming, at home.

Pretty much never, I generally far prefer my personalised "perfected" edits (wouldn't do them otherwise) and most of my listening isn't on a CD capable device anyway.

I'm going through a project now where I am playing every single CD I've evet bought once.  Once that's done I'll only ever play new CDs I get.  I play my rips of them otherwise

On 10/28/2020 at 4:02 PM, Thor said:

First of all, since I transferred all my CDs to iTunes about 7-8 years ago, I have hardly played CDs. I haven't stored them away, they're still displayed on my shelf, though.

I transferred all my soundtracks and film/tv related CDs over a three year period starting about 5 years ago. I haven't played one of them for listening purposes in probably 10 years or so. I don't display them as there's no one to observe them other than myself. They're all stashed safely in crates.

On 10/28/2020 at 4:02 PM, Thor said:

I've had a Blu-ray player for 6 years, which was very inconvient for playing CDs. Two days ago, it broke down - the tray won't eject. I brought it to the store today, but the warranty has gone out, and they couldn't do anything. I probably have to throw it away.

My Toshiba (cheepie) Blu-ray player has taken to doing the same thing of late. When the tray refuses to eject I give it a very firm whack and it opens promptly. You should try that. 

Yes, it took me a while too. I think I spent up to a month transferring my 1000-ish CDs to iTunes. Thank God I did it back then when laptops actually had CD trays. But I wouldn't dream of stashing them away in crates. They're a piece of furniture, and a statement about who I am. So I want them displayed, even if they take up a lot of space.

Just now, Thor said:

They're a piece of furniture, and a statement about who I am. So I want them displayed, even if they take up a lot of space.

There's that, yeah. I've had the odd Zoom remark about what's in my background on the wall, and it's rather cool to tell people that it's my soundtrack collection.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

But I wouldn't dream of stashing them away in crates. They're a piece of furniture, and a statement about who I am. So I want them displayed, even if they take up a lot of space.

For me it's more about keeping them out of harm's way (dust, water, cats, bugs, long fingers, you get the picture).

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think I've listened to a CD outside of my car in more than 10 years

Your car still has a CD player?? :)

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I've had the odd Zoom remark about what's in my background on the wall, and it's rather cool to tell people that it's my soundtrack collection.

I'd be too embarrassed.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

My wife's new car didn't even come with a CD player.  I'm sure my new one next year won't either

Where I live new cars with CD players disappeared at least 6-7 years ago (along with CDs in stores).

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I've never owned a car in my life.

You can get it as an additional feature to your CD player.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

There's that, yeah. I've had the odd Zoom remark about what's in my background on the wall, and it's rather cool to tell people that it's my soundtrack collection.

That's cute. :)

At home I listen mostly music from disc: Sacd, Blu-ray Audio, DVD Audio,CD. I also have some digital purchases from eclassical and iTunes that I listend via Apple TV to.  I am a huge multichannel music fan, so those discs are important for me, since multichannel downloads are quite rare except for eclassical.

Whenever I get a new CD, I rip it to my computer and then immediately display them on a shelf right next to my computer and almost never touch them again. Because of that, every single one of them is in pristine condition. Not a single scratch on any of them.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's not that hard to play a CD without scratching it. ;)

Oh I know, but I'd rather just keep them safe, specifically if it's a limited edition. Plus I have no reason to listen to them since I have the uncompressed files ripped to my computer.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

I've never owned a car in my life.

But if you did it would be the vanilla baseline model without all the bells and whistles right? ;)

(Sorry, I had to).

I haven't had a CD player in >10 years. The Blu-ray players I've had are not very useful without a display I think, plus I have two amps in different rooms that I'd need to hook the player(s) up to.

Instead, I've got my collection ripped to FLACs (800 GBs of them) that I keep on my NAS. A Raspberry PI with an additional DAC board is hooked to the two amps (via SPDIF; I don't actually use the DAC on the board, but unlike the Pi's native hardware it can pass through all standard bit rates and frequencies) and runs mpd to play the music. I can control it via Cantata (on my desktop) or M.A.L.P. (on my phone).