I'm Starting to remaster all my Williams Videos. First : 50 years a Salute to Film Composers (Boston Pops)

Martyprod

What a treat! Goosebumps towards the end of that suite, fantastic performance.

Great quality upscale too. Out of interest, was this broadcast in native 16:9 or did you crop a native 4:3 image to widescreen? Some shots are framed very tightly with foreheads/chins cropped off, and wide shots obscure musicians in the distance.

58 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Great quality upscale too. Out of interest, was this broadcast in native 16:9 or did you crop a native 4:3 image to widescreen? Some shots are framed very tightly with foreheads/chins cropped off, and wide shots obscure musicians in the distance.

some of my materials are in widescreen but recorded in 4/3 (so no issue with them) but most of them are very old material, and are unfortunatly in 4/3 like this one. I re-edit EACH shot to try to have the best for it, but sometimes, it's not possible to have everybody well cropped so decision must be taken.
so, yes it's cropped. i'm not the best at that, even if i spend my life to edit video for my musical channel (maybe some of you know it because I did some john williams cover with  french horn player marc papeghin).

the issue is the big TV logo on the right low corner, so i just tried my best, i re did some of the titles too when they were lost by the cropping.
when i couldn't do better, i blurred the logo (it's a very big one).

Next videos to come will be lara fabian singing Evergreen (barbra streisand) conducted by Williams,  A.I duet with fabian and groban, E.T adventure on earth. they are all already upscaled, i need to do the color gradding, crop etc..
I would love to do all the 80 videos lol but it will take a long time and some of them are so bad in term of pictures quality that nothing can be improved, i'm working on remastering of the Jurassic park one, but the upscaling is difficult, John williams head look like a baby ;) lol.

As well, with the help of marc papeghin, we did an english transcription in Close caption of the two interview williams did with andre previn, and i did a french translation for it.
but upscaling need to be done. Youtube unfortunatly removed the ability to ask to the community to do subtitles, but it would have been great that people would take my subtitles and translate them in other langage, like spanish , italian etc..

Edit : about the cropping, 2 difficulties : when there is a fade between two shots, the video must stay with the same crop from the previous and the next picture.
when this happen, i can't do nothing about that. other difficultes here, not present elsewhere. the titles of each tunes, which force to crop more or less. Fortunatly i only have one williams medley playing so much tunes lol

Awesome!! That piece alone demonstrates the Maestro’s unparalleled skills as an arranger, in addition to composer and conductor. Looking forward to more videos. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Awesome!! That piece alone demonstrates the Maestro’s unparalleled skills as an arranger, in addition to composer and conductor. Looking forward to more videos. 

I thought that was Conrad Pope's arranging?

Karol

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I thought that was Conrad Pope's arranging?

Karol

I think it's maybe Pope orchestration, but williams arrangement ! that what's written on the signature edition : 
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/tribute-to-the-film-composer-sheet-music/20655021?aff_id=15025

4 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I always loved this piece, I think I found it on Limewire back in the day and never knew what it was from. It's still such a treat today. It's amazing how powerful each short clip of music is.

I had the chance to see it live played for the first time at the Oscars, i had goosebumps litterally when i listened to it, it was 4 or 5am..
it was the year where he conducted it , so it's 2002 if my memory is correct (and this concert of the boston pops is from 2002).

20 minutes ago, Steve said:

@Martyprod Do you also plan to remaster the "Catch me if you can " suite?

Yes i'll try my best (it's planned), if it's possible i'll do it. I have a good result here becuase the original material is very good (directly recorded on PBS by a friend of mine with a DVD recorder in 2002/2003, but i'll be unable to have something better in term of audio, i remember there was a sound issue on it, don't know if it's on the whole show or only this tune, unfortunatly someone told it to me only many years later after i posted it (i almost never listened unfortunatly any of the videos or concert i posted, except the ones i recorded or got before may 1995.).
So with french horn player Marc Papeghin we tried at best to reduce the sound issue and i resent a new material. i'm not sure i'll be able to do better (in audio) of what it's already available. We'll See, i got new Mastering and audio separating audio track software, so we'll see.

2 hours ago, Martyprod said:

Yes i'll try my best (it's planned), if it's possible i'll do it. I have a good result here becuase the original material is very good (directly recorded on PBS by a friend of mine with a DVD recorder in 2002/2003, but i'll be unable to have something better in term of audio, i remember there was a sound issue on it, don't know if it's on the whole show or only this tune, unfortunatly someone told it to me only many years later after i posted it (i almost never listened unfortunatly any of the videos or concert i posted, except the ones i recorded or got before may 1995.).
So with french horn player Marc Papeghin we tried at best to reduce the sound issue and i resent a new material. i'm not sure i'll be able to do better (in audio) of what it's already available. We'll See, i got new Mastering and audio separating audio track software, so we'll see.

Sound good. Thanks for all your effort! Thanks to you I was able to watch many Williams performances which I probably would've never seen otherwise :)

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Thanks for this amazing work and share. You just made my day

Salut ;) You're welcome, hope to post some more soon ! thanks for your comment, it made my day too (I'mgoing through a pretty bad one so it help to know i didn't do this for nothing ;) ).

These are phenomenal. Not sure how I missed them until now, but I'm so thankful to have discovered this thread. Wonderful work. Thank you!

6 hours ago, ZackR said:

These are phenomenal. Not sure how I missed them until now, but I'm so thankful to have discovered this thread. Wonderful work. Thank you!

you're welcome and thanks for keeping this community / website alive !

check my whole channel if you didn't, i put everything i could put my hand on from Tv (the concert above, a friend of mine recorded it on PBS in 2002) that's why the picture is so good, he recorded it from digital tv on a DVR back then.

it's not the case of all the materials i have unfortunatly. part of them are stuff i recorded myself on german channel Onyx through satellite and through trade and collection through Jwfan, lot of stuff come from someone here, thanks to him !

Not sure i'll succed to remaster as good the other materials, because the original source is important. A video i posted before, showing live JW conducting the indiana jones III first adventure in sync with the movie has been blocked by youtube unfortunatly the picture is not that great. i'll certainly have to modify the video to "bypass" the block of the video by youtube at some point. I'll "see".

I could remaster other stuff by downloading them from youtube, but it's not very fair to the original poster, i hate when people do it from my channel (the channel is not monetized at all), until people here want to send me their materials, or if someone has posted somewhere a JW material that i don't have, allow it to me, and i'll try to do an upscale one of this day. There is specially one which posted a material i have, the japan tour with the Boston pops orchestra, that he has in a much better quality than mine. if he's on this thread or this channel, would be great if he can contact me and allow me to do the remaster.

The next one will be certainly adventure on Earth, the upscalling is done, i have to do the widescreen conversion now..

2 hours ago, Martyprod said:

There is specially one which posted a material i have, the japan tour with the Boston pops orchestra, that he has in a much better quality than mine. if he's on this thread or this channel, would be great if he can contact me and allow me to do the remaster

You can use it without his/her permission. The uploader doesn't own the copyright himself and also took it from some japanese YouTube channel.

21 minutes ago, Steve said:

You can use it without his/her permission. The uploader doesn't own the copyright himself and also took it from some japanese YouTube channel.

ah ah, didn't know that lol. we'll see. i have enough materiel anyway for now to provide, unless i have a new graphic card, i'll not be able to post often. but it will maybe change soon.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Martyprod, may I suggest that as your next project, you could remaster the Star Wars soundtracks. :)

Hello, The Materials i own where williams conducts starwars are old and/ore pretty bad, except one , that I had to remove 13 years ago due to copyright issue but can try to repost it as lot changed about ID content with youtube since then.

it's a recording during the academy awards, where james horner play titanic and williams follow with star wars just after. 

So I prefer for now concentrate on the 2 bostons pops recording that could have recorded direct from digital TV to a DVD recorder (like call of champions, salute etc), because it's much easier to do when the source is good. (on this one there is harry woundrous world, harry potter suite, for always etc..).. 

I started to work on indy's first adventure, where williams conduct it in front of the movie, and it's not easy to make it looking good. the interviews with previn are long (around one hour and more) and it take a long time to process and de interlace.
i had to give up to some, like one about return of the jedi, filmed by ABC or CBS on tv. :(.

the steps to follow will be certainly not "star wars first" but the easier to do first with the best picture at the source, and the worst one at the end (like the salute to williams when he left the boston pops for example, don't know if there is a better material than the one i have.)..

@Martyprodexcellent project and execution!

I know it's probably a very low priority around these parts, but I would love to see a remaster of Williams conducting Nelson Riddle's arrangement of standards performed by Linda Ronstadt - a pleasant crossover surprise that I stumbled upon on TV in the early 90s - being a huge fan of Ronstadt's three standards albums and of course the Maestro.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

...and Riddle?

Not so much. I mean he was fantastic and all but it's more the combination of his arrangements with Linda's singing that I enjoy. I do have some of his Sinatra recordings too (the Capital years stuff) but other than that I'm not too familiar with his work.

• 2 weeks later...

not john related, but Williams related 😂 I just posted on the channel a remastering in 1080p / 60 fps of Save the Best for Last from singer / actress Vanessa Williams :D (conducted by Keith Lockhart with the boston pops). (posted earlier there is as well the tune sung before, colors of the wind (from Pocahontas / Alan Menken, the single version, not the "in the movie" version).