Your most regretted missed soundtrack purchase

Jurassic Shark

For many years, The Ghost and the Darkness - had the OST in my hands in the mid-90s, held off on buying it because my cd budget for that shopping trip was already exhausted, then never found it again until the recent expansion.

For the past year it was AI until I snatched one on ebay a month ago for under 85€, I was over the moon (Rising). So, I think it's still pretty much only the Intrada Homeward Bound.

Hook LLL - I was late to the collecting game when it came out and by the time I realized I wanted an expansion, this set was long gone. Not going to pay the ridiculous second market prices for it, so my only hope is a new set if it ever happens.

Nowadays, I don't take any chances, even if it's a financial burden.

I'm glad I wasn't around for that one, no double dipping dilemma when the inevitable far superior release comes along.

The only original soundtrack album I'm bummed I don't own is The Eiger Sanction; By the time I realized I wanted to own every Williams score, it was long OOP and selling for high prices on the secondary market.  I hope a specialty label revisits this score, either an expansion or straight reissue of the OST album

As far as specialty label titles go, I never got the FSM Poseidon Adventure/Paper Chase/Conrack or Towering Inferno.  If a label gets to revisit Paper Chase and Conrack somehow, then I won't mind not having that one as much but for now I'm bummed.  

Beyond that, I missed out on the big Lost In Space LLL boxset only because I wanted to wait for a sale being investing in it for the 4 scores on it I cared about, and then it just suddenly went OOP with no warning and I missed it.  Still annoyed about that one.

E. T. (La-La Land). I wasn't aware of this release until it had already been OOP. Although MV gave me some hope when I asked about a possible reissue ("we'll see") 

Man I feel so lucky not to really have missed anything I hugely wanted. The things I did miss (such as the Poseidon Adventure or Patton, for example) got re-released eventually. There are some of the 60s JW scores on FSM that came out when I wasn't aware of that I missed, but fun though they are, aren't crucial purchases although I'd pick them up if they got re-released.

A few years ago, I was in the Oxford Circus branch of HMV. I picked-up THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3, looked at it, and put it back, because I'd already had a small fortune's worth of CDs, in my basket. I walked around the store, thinking about it, and went back twenty minutes later...only to discover that it had been bought.

I'm annoyed that Varese only 1000 pressed copies of their Raggedy Man re-issue, which sold out in a few days before I was able to secure it.

Other than that, Kamen's Open Range, Peter Bernstein's My Science Project, Giacchino's Tomorrowland and Intrada's Volume 1 of Battlestar Galactica.

On the downloads front, I had a bunch of stuff in my Google Play Music store wantlist for ages, thinking I would get to purchase them at some stage, and then Google goes and closes their store down without warning. A lot of thise titles are not available on iTunes so I've missed them.

I'm also sorry I waited to purchase the iTunes exclusive DE of Goldsmith's Lionheart, as all the Varese iTunes exclusives have now disappeared.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I recently purchased that for €12, new and sealed. :yes:

Yes I saw that grrrr. I console myself with my recent purchase of Mission to Mars for around $5.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Fuck that! The brilliant original, as scored by David Shire.

But that's (surprisingly) still available!

For me, between the late 90s and the Concorde release, this used to be Temple of Doom. I had the original album in my hands at the (now long gone) local Virgin Megastore, but didn't buy it. The next day it was gone, and I've never seen it again anywhere.

Now it's the expanded releases of Die Hard 2 and I suppose Spaceballs.

There’s a few things I kinda regret passing on, Speed, Lost in Space box set, Wild Wild West box set and Land of the Giants set.

But I have the LLL 40th Anniversary LIS CD and GNP LOTG CD.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I had all three expanded DH scores, but sold them. I've never gotten much out of this music on its own.

I've had the original DH2 release since before the expansion was released, but never found it of much interest and therefore skipped the expansion. Then later Karol sent me a couple of clips to show me that the album was so uninteresting because the best stuff was missing from it.

I can't imagine any Spielberg/Williams collaboration will be OOP for too long of a time.

Though 1941 has been OOP for a while now so who knows...

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't imagine any Spielberg/Williams collaboration will be OOP for too long of a time.

Though 1941 has been OOP for a while now so who knows...

Yeah and that's part of the reason why I haven't purchased them from ebay/amazon yet.

The deluxe editions for Hook, Independence Day, Untouchables, Robocop, and Starship Troopers are my top five officially OOP misses that I regret. I've seen a bit of speculation on forums that Hook is due for a reissue, so I'm hoping that pans out. 

6 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

E. T. (La-La Land). I wasn't aware of this release until it had already been OOP. Although MV gave me some hope when I asked about a possible reissue ("we'll see") 

It must have sold well to go OOP in only a couple of years. I wouldn't be surprised if that one reappears for the 40th Anniversary in a couple of years.

8 hours ago, csista said:

The deluxe editions for Hook, Independence Day, Untouchables, Robocop, and Starship Troopers are my top five officially OOP misses that I regret.

I have TROOPERS for trade on the Marketplace😊

MIKLOS ROZSA TREASURY Set from FSM.  Just when I had the funds and had placed my order it became OOP and out of stock. Then a year so later Lukas Kendfall found aihiiden box with some Units. But by that time I had no funds to cover that purchase. 

Recently the LLL's NEVADA SMITH WESTERN FILM COLLECTION 4CD set had sold out too, but I privately asked MV if they still had a copy and lo and behold he had one. I was just lucky to get that last week. whew!

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I regret not having purchased the Joel McNeely recordings of Bernard Herrmann's scores for North by Northwest, Citizen Kane and the rejected score for The Torn Curtain.

Those are easily acquired on eBay.

This is real dumb, but I missed LLL’s Space Balls which was around forever and even discounted to, I think, five bucks before going OOP.  I just never got around to it.  Eventually picked up the digital release which doesn’t have the song or alternates...

as far as Williams, I caught most of them so maybe Conrack/Paper Chase, or the Eiger Sanction OST whenever that CD was available.  Or the Amazing Stories comps.

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I regret not having purchased the Joel McNeely recordings of Bernard Herrmann's scores for North by Northwest, Citizen Kane and the rejected score for The Torn Curtain.

A definite shame re North by Northwest, for my money the best way to experience that score. Torn Curtain definitely suffers from the worst reverb of any Varese re-recording and the Bernstein version is preferable (if not complete), although also hard to obtain! Maybe Quartet will do another re-recording of it sometime. For Citizen Kane, I highly recommend the recording on Chandos conducted by Ramon Gamba which I think edges the McNeely version and I think is more or less complete (it's a couple of minutes shorter but I don't know if that's just tempo variation or missing music). If it's not easy to get on CD, it's available for lossless download.