Your most regretted missed soundtrack purchase

Jurassic Shark

49 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

For Citizen Kane, I highly recommend the recording on Chandos conducted by Ramon Gamba which I think edges the McNeely version and I think is more or less complete (it's a couple of minutes shorter but I don't know if that's just tempo variation or missing music). If it's not easy to get on CD, it's available for lossless download.

If this isn't easy, I don't know what is. ;)

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 10577

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I regret not having purchased the Joel McNeely recordings of Bernard Herrmann's scores for North by Northwest, Citizen Kane and the rejected score for The Torn Curtain.

Oh yes, McNeely's North by Northwest, too - as mentioned in that other thread.

I was disappointed at having missed the promo of Young's The Tower that Intrada gave out with one of his scores, years ago.

Conversely, retrospectively I had zero reasons to buy the expanded Eraser or Star Trek II, and Naked Gun and Medal of Honor get virtually no playtime.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If this isn't easy, I don't know what is. ;)

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 10577

In my defence, I wasn’t sure I should post a link else I would have done but thanks for doing so. It really is a great album! The other tracks on this album are well worth having too. Shame he hasn’t done more Herrmann really. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't know, it was kind of an impulse purchase because I liked the scores in the film when watching them a gazillion years ago, and I wanted to give it a try. 

Similar for me, except I didn't even remember the scores, just the main title. I still don't remember the scores, I should probably listen to them again...

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Similar for me, except I didn't even remember the scores, just the main title. 

Yeah, same here.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I can't think of any reason you'd feel uncomfortable plopping in a link to any legal website on JWFan

Well, Chandos are notoriously infamous. :sarcasm:

Yeah, same here.

Well, Chandos are notoriously infamous. :sarcasm:

Yeah. Chandos’ infamy. Haha. Anyway thank you for posting what I could not and hopefully some good Herrmann will be had by all. 

The Bremner take on Citizen Kane isn't bad either.

I have that one (iTunes download), coupled with The Magnificent Ambersons. 

20 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I didn’t know there was one? The same guy who did the Magnificent Seven recording?

No. That was done by James Sedares for THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN/ Koch label. He also did EL CID for the Koch label. Gamba, McNeely and Bremmer have done their versions of CITIZEN KANE. I think there is another verson conducted by LeRoy Holmes -which is considered to be a rather bad performance. And only availble on LP.

31 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I didn’t know there was one? The same guy who did the Magnificent Seven recording?

No, he did the first Fitzpatrick Lawrence re-recording and the The Big Country re-recording.

24 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

The Magnificent Ambersons. 

How's this score?

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Magnificent Ambersons

How's this score?

A very good recording of the complete score as written by Herrmann but it judiciously cut down in the film that Herrmann had them forced to remove his name from the credits.

2 minutes ago, Amer said:

A very good recording of the complete score as written by Herrmann but it judiciously cut down in the film that Herrmann had them forced to remove his name from the credits.

So the recording is good, but is the score any good?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So the recording is good, but is the score any good?

Dude, are you bwain dead?!

it's Herrmann, so it's automatically worth listening to.

I'll say that, again: its Bernard fucking Herrmann!!!

Ps, RKO = RKO Pictures. 

Then what is this referring to:

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Chandos are notoriously infamous. :sarcasm:

5 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Yeah. Chandos’ infamy.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nothing. They're in fact an exemplary label. :)

They are indeed, lots of really great albums both classical and film music, especially their British film music releases. Sorry for the confusion with my British sense of humour...

On 11/2/2020 at 9:02 AM, Thor said:

GOODBYE MR. CHIPS.

Same.  I don't even like it that much, but it's the only major film score I'm missing, which makes it infuriating in an OCD way.

Secondary market prices seem abnormally high for a score that barely ever gets mentioned, and is an adaptation of Leslie Bricuisse, and not pure Williams.

7 hours ago, Amer said:

No. That was done by James Sedares for THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN/ Koch label. He also did EL CID for the Koch label. Gamba, McNeely and Bremmer have done their versions of CITIZEN KANE. I think there is another verson conducted by LeRoy Holmes -which is considered to be a rather bad performance. And only availble on LP.

Thanks for the explanation! I have the Bremner Magnificent Ambersons, but not the Citizen Kane album. I think the current ones I have are good enough, unless this is really worth picking up? I'll have to give the Magnificent Ambersons another listen though, I don't know that one at all (but feel I ought to).

2 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Same.  I don't even like it that much, but it's the only major film score I'm missing, which makes it infuriating in an OCD way.

Not owning it is the best way to fight your OCD.

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not owning it is the best way to fight your OCD.

You're not wrong, of course.  There are other factors in my compartmentalization and completism for JW film scores... I stupidly never bought the Land of the Giants in any form, so I'm missing out on better music, just because it's not a film score.

I hated C&C releases back then too, and thought my LP-to-CD-R transfer of GOODBYE would be all I ever needed. But I have a rule that I need one good representation of each Williams title physically in my collection, preferably original. And the amount of original score in GOODBYE is about the same as, say, TOM SAWYER. So I really should have picked it up at the time.

Lately, however, I have acquired it in digital file format, and created a playlist that includes the OST and a curated selection of the score cues on "disc 2". It will have to suffice untill that moment when I find it to an affordable price.

I never bought the Gerhardt recording of Star Wars, but I have TESB and ROTJ.

I also never bought the Kojian recordings of The Star Wars Trilogy.

Both kinda obvious omissions for a JW collector.

Can’t really say they’re regrets though. More like conscious oversights.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Get a used LP then. :)

I would be interested in that, and finally throw away my ol' CD-R. But the LP doesn't have any of the score cuts. The ol' LP is not representative of Williams' score material for the film.