Your most regretted missed soundtrack purchase

Jurassic Shark

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

OK, but that doesn't bother you in other OSTs. ;)

Yes. An OST should always be representative of the score.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What about those instances when the OST fails to be a good representation of the score?

Then that's a shame. Like those "songtracks" that only have a single score cut or two.

Sure. But in this particular case, I was talking about the 'songtracks'.

LPs like TOM SAWYER and GOODBYE MR. CHIPS are representative of Williams' arrangement skills, but not of the score. As such, I need the versions that contain the score bits too. Normally a representative selection of this material would do, but in both of those cases, the score portion is relatively small, so I think I have most, if not all of the tracks in my iTunes.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I agree about that. But what do you do when an OST isn't a good representation of the score, by your own standards?

I tend not to think about it, and just enjoy it as is. But I would condone an expansion in such instances, providing it's arranged for listening, of course. I'm trying to think of an example, but it's not easy as I pay so little attention to the film's music when I listen to soundtracks. Maybe Vangelis' ALEXANDER, which omits a couple of central themes - so you might make a case it's not 'representative'. I love the OST as is, but I wouldn't mind a slightly longer version with those themes incorporated.

I can think of several 'songtrack' examples, though. The 'songtrack' of BATMAN & ROBIN, which contained only one score track, if memory serves, is obviously not representative of the score. However, the 50-minute score album that Goldenthal prepared (but which was never released) is. Similarly, the 'songtrack' of Arnold's GODZILLA was not representative of the score, but his promo programme was.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

But I would condone an expansion in such instances, providing it's arranged for listening, of course. I

I assume you meant to write wouldn't there. :)

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

Similarly, the 'songtrack' of Arnold's GODZILLA was not representative of the score, but his promo programme was.

That score sucks in any form.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You would condone an expansion in such instances, providing it's arranged for listening? That doesn't make sense.

How doesn't that make sense? An expansion can be arranged for listening. It neither has to be complete nor chronological.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

How doesn't that make sense? An expansion can be arranged for listening. It neither has to be complete nor chronological.

A rather large number are, but they're usually dismissed by you over length.

I'd say the Hobbit 'special' editions fall under that category - they're absolutely arranged for listening, yet contain far more score than a normal release.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ok, so a quick LOTR/HOBBIT question:

How can the three former scores garner so much adoration from just about everybody, yet the three latter scores get so much hatred?

My personal viewpoint: they're just not as good as the LotR scores. With almost all of the former's thematic material gone, Shore's relying on a new set of themes which overall aren't anywhere near as strong. And with the films being way, way (way) longer than they needed to be, there's more of a need for filler music. While LotR certainly has some filler scoring (almost all, IMO, in RotK), it's everywhere in The Hobbit.

Hard to disagree with @crocodile’s assessment. The lack of the strong, unifying themes of the LOTR trilogy is a key weakness. I’ve listened to all of the Hobbit scores several times and the Misty Mountains theme is still the only one I can recollect and that’s not even by Shore (although it’s a pretty great theme and is incorporated very effectively). The comments about single disc versions feels pretty accurate. They are hard work at double disc length (hence me banging on asking for anyone who has managed to produce a one disc album edit of each as I think it might help to get to know them better) and almost kinda weird to produce two versions of each score both of which are quite long. Still, it’s Shore in Middle Earth, so  feel worth persevering with... And what @Richard Penna said!

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

They are hard work at double disc length (hence me banging on asking for anyone who has managed to produce a one disc album edit of each as I think it might help to get to know them better) and almost kinda weird to produce two versions of each score both of which are quite long.

This! it was baffling from the beginning why both the standard and SEs were two-disc affairs, with differences that even we (as score enthusiasts) can't quite understand.

I reckon most people would've greatly enjoyed a 75 minute OST from each Hobbit, with those few who really like these scores (I'm not one of them) buying the extended releases.

And yes, when by far, the most memorable melody from the film was written by the source guys, something's gone wrong :( 

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

As for the lack of inspiration, I don't know. The films themselves don't really offer the same kind of scope and feel quote scattered in storytelling.

I would add that I've always considered the LOTR scores' strengths mainly on the narrative side rather than the purely musical side.  Shore's big feat was coming up with all his themes and styles to represent the many aspects of Middle-earth involved in the story, and then combining them "narratively". And since the narrative is good and (at least on a non-superficial level) quite complex, the scores also gain a dramatic arc and thematic diversity. Also, the films are good (and the book is yet on another level, but the films do a good job of incorporating hints to many things that were otherwise cut or just glossed over, and Shore wisely carries that over into his scores), and if you've seen the films repeatedly, or even just once but are familiar with the book, you know the narrative and can easily follow the score's arc. I don't think it would work nearly as well with no knowledge (and perhaps even with only a superficial knowledge) of the plot. It has that in common with Wagner's Ring: A significant part of its long-term enjoyment comes on an intellectual level, from tracking the use of themes and how their combinations and variations carry the narrative. If I were to apply Thor's reasoning that a soundtrack album has to be completely independent of the film and the narrative, only the main thematic set pieces would be allowed on an OST (perhaps the suites from the EE credits). But that would of course not be representative of the scores, and therefore also be disqualified. These scores need their narrative (not because listening to them is in any way about reliving the films, but because their musical intent - even more than that of most other narrative compositions, I think - *is* Tolkien's narrative).

The Hobbit scores simply don't have that: The book is much simpler, straighforward, episodic (which I would say doesn't fit Shore's style, but neither do the films portray that), and less culturally varied, and while I still believe that it could probably be turned into two good films by sensibly incorporating the back story that is hinted at (even if Tolkien himself wasn't "aware of the significance" when he wrote it), PJ & Co failed at that and ended up with something that doesn't much reflect the original narrative of the book, either. So unlike with LOTR, knowing the book and perhaps seeing the films once doesn't give you enough context to follow whatever musical narrative the scores may have been able to derive from the films.

Indeed. The only thing I remember from them is the "Over the Mountains" theme or whatever it was called. I have the MUSIC FROM THE HOBBIT AND THE LORD OF THE RINGS compilation from Silva, and that's all I ever need from these three scores. I love the two first movies, though, unlike most of my colleagues.

Interesting discussion progress here -- from soundtracks you've missed to a small stint of C&C to the LOTR scores.

OK, to bring it back on track - At one time, for a couple years in fact, the LotR CRs were 100% my most regretted missed purchase, they mostly sold out before I ever read the book or saw the movies. I was absolutely ecstatic when the reissues were announced and now I proudly have all 3 with the EE DVDs next to my Tolkien books.

They're all digipaks but the US ones are different (better) while the EU one looks cheap. The EU "Hobbit" logo has gold foil but the cover itself is flat whereas the US logos match the film posters and the fronts are embossed and more chunky. The insides of the US ones from memory also look better. It's similar to the differences between the UK and US LOTR EE DVDs, the UK boxes are cheap and nasty while the US ones look premium.

This might be interesting for anybody who’s trying to “get through” The Hobbit scores.

I’ve no idea whether it is representative of what might be considered “the best” cues from each score, as I’m not too familiar with them.

Also, it’s much too short, I guess it might’ve been more comprehensive if the creator had given at least 25 mins from each film - this compilation gives us about 10!

Still, I guess you can consider it an easy- to-access sampler, a brief overview of sorts.

- An Unexpected Journey

Old Friends

The Hill of Sorcery

A Very Respectable Hobbit

The World is Ahead

The Edge of the Wild

Over Hill

Roast Mutton

Axe or Sword

- The Desolation Of Smaug

Thrice Welcome

Wilderland

Beyond the Forest

The Forest River

Girion, Lord of Dale

My Armor Is Iron

- The Battle of the Five Armies

Fire and Water

Beyond Sorrow And Grief

Guardians Of The Three

Battle for the Mountain

Mithril

Sons of Durin

To The Death

Vourage and Wisdom

There and Back Again

On 11/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, Richard Penna said:

I was disappointed at having missed the promo of Young's The Tower that Intrada gave out with one of his scores, years ago.

It was actually the opposite.  Intrada sold The Tower as a release and gave away a promo of the Core, courtesy of Christopher Young.  That was well before Intrada officially released the Core.

Speaking for myself, I regret not buying some of the early John Morris comedy scores La-La-Land put out.  I did manage to get Haunted Honeymoon and Clue, but I missed out on the rest.  I didn't really appreciate how great those releases were until they were gone.  There are some others as well, including a few Goldsmith expansions I waited too long before pulling the trigger, as well as the giant 10 Commandments set from Intrada.  

Oh well.  I still have plenty of great music to listen to.