Bernard Herrmann: Unpopular Opinions

Jurassic Shark

Between 09.08.1975 and 24.12.1975 he was the world's most accomplished living composer.

Edit: Title previously held by the rather noncontroversial champion Shostakovich, since 06.04.1971

I used to dislike Herrmann in my teens and early 20s. Lots of intense clusters and motifs rather than the longlined themes I cared so much about. But I have thankfully come to appreciate him over the years, both in terms of how the music works in context and the occasional album.

I agree that VERTIGO is massively overrated, but plenty of other gems that I own and enjoy - like CITIZEN KANE, JANE EYRE, THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, THE KENTUCKIAN, WILLIAMSBURG, THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY, PSYCHO (mostly in-film), THE BRIDE WORE BLACK etc. etc.....

8 hours ago, Linae said:

Here are Two  Bernard Herrmann opinions that may be unpopular

• I think that the Vertigo score is a bit overrated - it is certainly excellent, but I prefer both Fahrenheit 451 and Psycho over it. ...
  • Most of Herrmann's finest work wasn't for Hitchcock.

😊https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B000TJ0SB8/R24SEG1ORBDWOI?ref=pf_ov_at_pdctrvw_srp

I've heard three of his Hitchcock scores so far and honestly think they're interchangeable most of the time, minus the shower scene. Add to that that I've read a lot about how he was arrogant and had absurd opinions on what he could do as a composer... 

The only gripe I have for Herrmann is that he tended to re-use some material. Not as bad as Horner did though.

And if Vertigo is overrated then Obsession is a snooze fest. Never understood the praise for that one.