from noob to John Williams ..?

maulibels85

Can anyone give me any general advice on how to get good at badass symphonic writing? I spent a year independently practicing SATB writing and species counterpoint (and I saw progress).. but I'm not sure where to go from there. If you were a noob and had 8 hours a day to practice (with someone like John Williams being your main inspiration) how would you spend that time? Do I just keep harmonizing soprano and bass lines? Is it necessary to be enrolled in school? Is it possible to make serious composition progress without a private teacher? Than 192.168.1.254ks for any help! 10.0.0.0.1

I habe no personal experience with that, but I guess there is a reason why people with that aim usually study around five years at higher music schools to learn that. 

One addition. It is difficult to give advice without knowing at which skill level you currently are. Probably you could study some orchestrations of your idols.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I habe no personal experience with that, but I guess there is a reason why people with that aim usually study around five years at higher music schools to learn that. 

As he said - go to school. 

Or be self-taught, but that's a more cumbersome process.

It's either the same person 2 years later deciding to ask the same question on a different place on the internet

Or some kind of new bot that copies reddit posts and pastes them in to IPBoard forums that some algorithm tells them it would fit in

I suspect the latter is the case, of course;  Probably in a few days their post or "About Me" section of their profile (or both) will be edited to contain a spam link - that's how the new bots have been doing it