Jump to content

What do you think is Williams composing now?


Fabulin
 Share

What do you think is Williams composing now?  

49 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you think is Williams composing now?

    • Another concerto
    • Arrangements of his existing music
    • New commissioned concert works
    • New commissioned "commercial" works
    • A new film score
    • Something big (a symphony, an opera)
    • Something else
    • Nothing. Retirement is too much damn fun


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

It is a march, and a march is for marching, and I habe a militaristic assiciation with marching. Can't help it. I know, you could say the same for the Raiders March. But there I habe the same assiciation. 

 

Complain about the Olympics opening ceremonies having the athletes match around the stadium then, not about Williams setting it to music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2021 at 8:58 AM, TownerFan said:

 

It's not a militaristic piece by any means. It's written in the ceremonial style of parades and "pomp-and-circumstance" compositions.

I had to listen to the Song for World Peace again as I didn't remember it being like the descriptions here and, having done so, found it much more hymnal and cerebral than anything approaching a march. OK, it's in a fairly square march time but it's much more serene and delicately scored for much of its running time. The striking thing about it for a film music fan is how much the four note motif that runs through it sounds like Rudy... (although I'm wondering if that's the Strauss reference and both JW and JG nicked it off Richard S?!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I had to listen to the Song for World Peace again as I didn't remember it being like the descriptions here and, having done so, found it much more hymnal and cerebral than anything approaching a march. OK, it's in a fairly square march time but it's much more serene and delicately scored for much of its running time. The striking thing about it for a film music fan is how much the four note motif that runs through it sounds like Rudy... (although I'm wondering if that's the Strauss reference and both JW and JG nicked it off Richard S?!)

 

I don't think anybody here described Song for World Peace as a march. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

(although I'm wondering if that's the Strauss reference and both JW and JG nicked it off Richard S?!)

 

What Strauss piece would that be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regardless, we still need a recording of the ORIGINAL "Satelite Celebration", with the choir intact. The bootleg recording is basically unlistenable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We got an interresting conversation on Zoom, about what John Williams is writing now.

 

I wanted to say that: 1-He was stuck with Star Wars for the last years (and he's probably still, if they ask him to write other small themes for the SW universe, he'll probably do it, like for the Solo movie) and 2-He's stuck with Spielberg, who doesn't really make real good movies anymore. His star has lost a bit of his shine, let's be honest.

 

So I don't think John Williams will work on another movie project, I mean as the main composer.

 

Of course it would be wonderfull if a young director would ask him to write the music for his movie... I would absolutely love to hear the "Taxi Driver" of Williams... 

 

But honestly... who can afford John Williams in 2021? (financially and stylistically). 

 

That's the question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I disagree on the small film issue.  I think if he really likes a project, like with the Book Thief (and maybe even Home Alone, back in the day), or a person he admires asks him, like with Dear Basketball, I think he would work at a reduced rate. At 89, a multi-millionaire, and a true artist, I cannot see money being an obstacle.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also doubt he's getting those kind of offers. If I was an indie filmmaker, Williams as a possibility would probably never cross my head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Tom said:

I disagree on the small film issue.  I think if he really likes a project, like with the Book Thief (and maybe even Home Alone, back in the day), or a person he admires asks him, like with Dear Basketball, I think he would work at a reduced rate. At 89, a multi-millionaire, and a true artist, I cannot see money being an obstacle.  

 

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

He can't say yes to everybody.

 

12 hours ago, KK said:

I also doubt he's getting those kind of offers. If I was an indie filmmaker, Williams as a possibility would probably never cross my head.

 

This is what I think, I think the small budget films don't even consider him a possibility.  The fact that Geisha, the Potters, and Book Thief are the only non-Spielberg, non-Star Wars scores he's done in 20 years are all because he had read the books first.  That's why I suggested we might only get another non-Spielberg score out of him if a book he already likes gets developed into a new movie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It takes BALLS to think your movie or short movie IS GOOD ENOUGH, to dare to ask John Williams to score it... :lol:

 

Tarantino offered a wonderfull gift to Morricone with Hateful 8... do you think... him and a guy like John?...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jay said:

This is what I think, I think the small budget films don't even consider him a possibility.  The fact that Geisha, the Potters, and Book Thief are the only non-Spielberg, non-Star Wars scores he's done in 20 years are all because he had read the books first.  

 

I wouldn't put Harry Potter in that group. That has way more to do with an established director collaboration than his passion for reading. And he's been contradictory about whether he read them anyway (although I'm more inclined to trust his earlier comments at the time that he had already read the first one with his grandkids.)

 

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

It takes BALLS to think your movie or short movie IS GOOD ENOUGH, to dare to ask John Williams to score it... :lol:

 

Tarantino offered a wonderfull gift to Morricone with Hateful 8... do you think... him and a guy like John?...

 

It really did basically take an anomaly like Kobe Bryant to be like "I'm making a short film, I only want John Williams" and have the stature to make that seem worthwhile to JW. And it did sound like JW even hesitated on that like "Oh I don't really do short films." Kobe and Anne-Sophie Mutter, the only ones who wouldn't take no for an answer.

 

Then again he gave permission to the Swiss Army Man guys to use the Jurassic Park theme as a plot device, that was about as weird a request as he could have gotten. Not that he had to put in any work for that but still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, that might seem like a slightly off topic question, but does anyone know if Williams has got a COVID-19 vaccine yet? I have no idea what it looks like in the US, but generally in most countries, the oldest ones get the vaccine first. And this could have a colossal impact on Williams' willingness to take on new challenges, such as writing and, above all, recording music for a potential film.

 

Or boarding a plane to conduct in Berlin in October ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Ok, that might seem like a slightly off topic question, but does anyone know if Williams has Got A COVID-19 Vaccine Yet? I have no idea what it looks like in the US, but generally in most countries, the oldest ones get the vaccine first. And this could have a colossal impact on Williams' willingness to take on new challenges, such as writing and, above all, recording music for a potential film. Or boarding a plane to conduct in Berlin in October ;)

Vaccinations are prioritized according to age and risk. A portion of the California population can get vaccinated now, and the rest should have access by spring 2021. 

Every Californian can sign up or call (833) 422-4255 to see if it’s their turn to get the COVID-19 vaccine. If you’re not currently eligible, you can sign up to be notified when it’s your turn.

https://covid19.ca.gov/vaccines/#California's-vaccination-plan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

JW is maybe anti-vaccine!

 

I really doubt it. He doesn't seem like a conspiracy theorist or modern flat Earth follower to me. But I wouldn't like to start such a discussion here.

 

Personally, I believe Williams will make a few more films and one of them will be released this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pawel P. said:

Or boarding a plane to conduct in Berlin in October ;)

 

At this point, I doubt regular international travel will be possible before the winter. *If* we're lucky, most European countries may have the pandemic somewhat under local control by then. But transatlantic flights? Unlikely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But transatlantic flights? Unlikely.

 

What? You could and can fly all the time to whatever location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, publicist said:

What? You could and can fly all the time to whatever location.

 

Not without quarantine, in many cases. And the mutations are only just beginning to spread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plus, with covid precautions, flights have become more miserable than ever. I have a hard time imagining an almost-90 year old Williams making that kind of trip out to Berlin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Not without quarantine, in many cases. And the mutations are only just beginning to spread.

 

I was abroad two times in the past three months without quarantine, i. e. Berlin/Miami has none.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today in the news I heard, that here in Germany there was a Covid-19 break out in a nursing home. More than 10 people infected, all had been vaccinated twice.

But all just show mild symptoms. It's not over yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this the coronavirus thread? I can't wait the authorities to confirm what we thought since the start, that this shit will need an annual vaccine, more or less efficient, exactly like the flu... :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Is this the coronavirus thread? I can't wait the authorities to confirm what we thought since the start, that this shit will need an annual vaccine, more or less efficient, exactly like the flu... :(

 

As long as there's a steady supply of vaccines and we don't get any major mutations, that's the least of my worries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

David Lynch is 75 and lives in LA and got the vaccine over the weekend at Dodger Stadium so I'd assume JW either already did or is on a list to get it soon

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.