Star Wars: Tales from Galaxy's Edge - Scores by Bear McCreary, Danny Piccione, Joseph Trapanese

Jay

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

A McCreary Star Wars score could be interesting. Less sure about Trapanese, though, his scores tend to be very electronic and "RCP-like".

Don't know who is Danny Piccione.

Agree, McCreary could be very interesting and Trapanese depends... 

I hope Disney release an album with the music from Galaxy Edge and that someone uses Williams themes. For me is a pity how disconnected everything might be.

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

A McCreary Star Wars score could be interesting. Less sure about Trapanese, though, his scores tend to be very electronic and "RCP-like".

Don't know who is Danny Piccione.

Joe is very talented.  Before he was famous I hung out in his studio where we talked about JW and shared some of our orchestral demos with each other and I was blown away by the quality of what he produced, it was very much in the JW and swashbuckling cinematic vein which is not the famous scores he is known for which are adaptations of electronic music. 

Hmm that one's kinda weird.

Just noticed Bear McCreary's was posted too. That one isn't very exciting either :(

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Just to be clear -- these are compositions for various rides inside the Galaxy's Edge attraction in Disneyland?

No, these are compositions for a VR "game"

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Tales_from_the_Galaxy's_Edge

6 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

I see, thanks. Intriguing. I have a friend who works in VR. I'll ask him about this game the next time I meet him.

• 2 weeks later...

Very underwhelming. None of these sound like they belong in the Star Wars universe (except for the Cantina music), and what's worse is that they don't really bring their own unique soundscape to compensate so it just comes off as sounding generic.

Seeing footage of Yoda instructing you in a Jedi temple and hearing this is going to be an extremely jarring Star Wars experience:

7 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Very underwhelming. None of these sound like they belong in the Star Wars universe (except for the Cantina music), and what's worse is that they don't really bring their own unique soundscape to compensate so it just comes off as sounding generic.

Seeing footage of Yoda instructing you in a Jedi temple and hearing this is going to be an extremely jarring Star Wars experience:

Exactly, these pieces sound like generic scores from other games and films, and in the context of Star Wars feel like imposters. 

I was always reticent to think Star Wars music had to sound one way - the Williams' way - but when you wedge modern scoring sensibilities into an already established soundscape, you run the risk of interfering with that familiar sound. I was disappointed by McCreary's and Trapanese's pieces because there we have two competent composers who've written for the orchestra, just chuck that sound and style out the window.

• 1 year later...

• 8 months later...

I wish there was more discussion of this soundtrack here. The few impressions we do have are negative. But I think Bear McCreary's contributions have some good qualities. The Rings of Power soundtrack motivated me to look this album up for the first time. In the more action-like music McCreary wrote, you can hear him working in some short blasting phrases and rhythmic touches that are, to my ear, intentionally borrowing from JW's SW music. Most of the music is not that way, but in parts of  opening track and end credits I can totally hear it.

On 24/08/2022 at 3:14 PM, Stark said:

Star Wars has a good enough musical history that this might genuinely be the worst Star Wars score.

Is Vader Immortal out of the picture then? You know, that other Star Wars VR project from ILMxLAB. I quite liked Wilbert Roget's material from Episode 1. Cris Velasco did Episodes 2+3 and they have a strong synth sound.

I don't mind this album, it's a genre-mix outside of the usual scoring sensibilities most of us like, and much of it is forgettable but not unlistenable. That's not a great recommendation but actually I like the dub and electro source music tracks, and the most exciting track is McCreary's opener: Batuu Wilderness, it's got a great build and real oomph at the end.