Favorite John Williams score of the 2010s

BrotherSound

Favorite John Williams score of the 2010s  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite John Williams film score of the past decade?

• The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)
    • War Horse (2011)
    • Lincoln (2012)
    • The Book Thief (2013)
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
    • The BFG (2016)
    • Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
    • The Post (2017)
    • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Been listening to Lincoln a lot tonight and if I hadn't seen the thread earlier and voted I probably would have gone with this as my gut instinct vote.  But really both it and War Horse are just masterful with no dead space.

And that's why I think I'd always pick either over any of the Star Wars options... those scores are great too, but Williams had to fill a lot of time for dialogue scenes that is never an issue in these two shorter, tighter scores

2 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I apologize for the lapse in rules/judgement. Please let the thread discussion continue as it existed pre-meme. 

You did a great job of building on a previous composer's themes.

10 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

The past decade proved to be a surprisingly fruitful period in John Williams' long career, with nine film scores in a wide stylistic range, including a third Star Wars trilogy with almost ten hours (!) of music recorded. And, in my opinion, it's given us ample music that compares favorably with his (or anyone else's) classic scores of the past. If John Williams had written nothing but the nine scores of the 2010s, he'd still be one of my favorite composers!

Absolutely! Some say his 2000s and 2010s scores are nothing special and repetitive. However I would say some of my favourite Williams music was written in that period. The amount of amazing music he has written in his senior years is incredible. And no, music doesn't need to be innovative to be good! 

I fell out of Williams a bit after 2005 and really came back for TFA, so I don't know how much that influences me saying TFA is far and away the best score he's done in the 2010s, but I will say it was a joy going back and exploring what I missed with an open mind. It wasn't the Williams I left in 2005, but it was fantastic in its own way.

And Galaxy's Edge.  And Adventures of Han.  And completely new Han Solo & The Princess.  And Ghost of Highwood.  And Fenway Fanfare.  And Just Down West Street.  He's been incredibly prolific

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Just Down West Street

Where can one listen to this, please?

This is a difficult one! My top contenders would be TFA, BFG, Tintin and War Horse (not necessarily in that order!), with TFA and BFG getting the greatest amount of listening time. Today I'll have to go for BFG.

26 minutes ago, theBT said:

This decade's music also gave  me possible the greatest goosebumps in live concerts. Lincoln suite in Chicago, BFG in London and WarHorse in Vienna. 😍😍😍

How I wish they had kept the BFG in the Vienna concert like it was programmed in the 2019 cancelled version...but oh well I can't really complain

After trying to decide between War Horse and Lincoln since this was posted, I fired up the former and picked it by the end of Learning the Call. It's still close though.

1 hour ago, carlborg said:

How I wish they had kept the BFG in the Vienna concert like it was programmed in the 2019 cancelled version...but oh well I can't really complain

Yes, it would had been amazing, that rich, wonderful orchestration with Vienna phil in that hall. Probably too much for me😭😭😭

🙂

Easily War Horse for me.

Beautiful main themes that tug at the heartstrings without being overly melodramatic.  I credit the movie and story for not being emotionally immature.

And "The Dash Across No Man's Land" is arguably his greatest action cue of the 2010s.

In terms of craftsmanship and cohesion, the SW sequel scores rank far lower than pretty much all of JW's other 2010s output. Whether it's OST or as heard in the film, the music is chopped to bits or lacks thematic through lines or just varies greatly in quality from moment to moment.