Your most treasured Varese Sarabande soundtrack album

Jurassic Shark

PREDATOR 2 and AIR FORCE ONCE and STARSHIP TROOPERS (The Deluxe Editions)

Many of their earlier expansions I loved that been usurped by definitive versions on other labels (PLANET OF THE APES, DIE HARD, TOTAL RECALL, STARGATE)

My very first Varese album - and in fact, my very first ever CD! - is Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.  So if I'm going to call any release "treasured," I suppose it's that.  Great album, too.

Content-wise, probably The Cowboys.  An excellent Williams score which I never had in another incarnation prior to that release.  I also have a soft spot for the Pee-Wee's Big Adventure/Back to School split.

I'm not sure how to interpret 'treasured'. Wouldn't that also coincide with my favourite score that happens to be released on Varese?

I think the OLDEST Varese I have in my collection (oldest as in when it was pressed) is the Alfred Hitchcock compilation with the FAMILY PLOT track. I think it was pressed on CD in the early 80s, many years before CDs was the go-to medium.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Indeed.

Yikes. Then I would need to go through my collection and see what Vareses I have (a lot!), and which of those are my favourite scores/soundtracks. I'll get back to ya!

Oh man, I forgot to mention one of my very first soundtrack albums: Gerhardt's Empire! Kojian's SW trilogy is on the same level.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yikes. Then I would need to go through my collection and see what Vareses I have (a lot!), and which of those are my favourite scores/soundtracks. I'll get back to ya!

Isn't it easier to start with your top 20 scores or something, and then hopefully at least one of them will be released by Varese?

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't it easier to start with your top 20 scores or something, and then hopefully at least one of them will be released by Varese?

Ha, ha. Indeed. I'm three beers in at the moment, and getting stupider by the minute.

So....I guess that would be THE ABYSS by Silvestri, then. My no. 7. It's also one of my earliest soundtrack CD purchases. So it all makes sense.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha. Indeed. I'm three beers in at the moment, and getting stupider by the minute.

So....I guess that would be THE ABYSS by Silvestri, then. My no. 7. It's also one of my earliest soundtrack CD purchases. So it all makes sense.

I still haven't purchased that one. It's just the final tracks that interest me to some degree.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I still haven't purchased that one. It's just the final tracks that interest me to some degree.

They are the highlights, no doubt. But other interesting tracks too. You probably read my tribute piece last year. Even Silvestri himself liked it! :)

67718571_10157274047271278_5130191542895

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

They are the highlights, no doubt. But other interesting tracks too. You probably read my tribute piece last year.

Yeah, nice piece.

I might seek out the expanded release due to some interesting alternates.

23 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Dracula 1979 deserves a mention.  The physical presentation alone with the beautiful slipcover made it... an event.

From the ones I own, it's definitely my favourite Varese release!

Mine is VS’s American 2CD release of ‘Jupiter Ascending’.  Although it used the same album master as the WaterTower overseas release, VS had up’ed their game by including a booklet filled with notes by MG and recording session photos.

Content wise, it is the only MG score that I've had repeated listens.  I don't care for his music to the Star Trek reboots.

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

image.jpeg

I almost posted this one too.  It has historic value as being the first title to restart the Varese Club Editions after their initial hiatus.

If Mike Matessino decided to give this a modern audio polish after two decades of sonic technology improvements, I'd buy it in a heartbeep.

19 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

@The Big Man haha. It’s a screen grab from my iTunes. I’m not sure where the original artwork went that I made. But yeah it’s a custom cover. The tiny little title of the original kinda bothered me.

Well, the one I have is more or less a DE, at least content-wise:

IMG_20201114_171913.jpgIMG_20201114_171920.jpg

Nice. Yeah I’ve really fallen in love with this score. 

Ive always wondered what Goldsmiths score to “The Crusades” would have sounded like. It was a Paul Verhoeven project that was going to be made in the 90s with Schwarzenegger (!). 90s historical action Goldsmith. Mouthwatering.