Your opinion on sequels music?

mxsch

3 minutes ago, karelm said:

I think what you are responding to is the lack of Lucas involvement and the Disney era of film making by youngerish directors reacting to executives and screenings.  The films are no longer "locked".  There is no long term story telling.  The story changes dramatically based on reshoots and reedits.  JW is now scoring scenes not a film.  He hates that approach as it doesn't allow setting up a scene because a scene you scored to allude to the next cue no longer exists based on screening feedback/executive meddling.  Welcome to Disney.

To an extent that's true, the source material is going to significantly affect the score produced. I definitely feel that lack of cohesiveness and vision for the spotting of the films, but I can't help but think of the Prequels and recognise that when the music is particularly good it almost doesn't matter what it's scoring. I'm usually able to separate the score from the media, so I think anything that comes across as off to me is more likely in the score itself.

2 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

To an extent that's true, the source material is going to significantly affect the score produced. I definitely feel that lack of cohesiveness and vision for the spotting of the films, but I can't help but think of the Prequels and recognise that when the music is particularly good it almost doesn't matter what it's scoring. I'm usually able to separate the score from the media, so I think anything that comes across as off to me is more likely in the score itself.

So when JW scores a movie where each scene furthers the narrative then later scenes get dropped/moved to the start, etc., that won't impact his scoring?  Ok.

16 minutes ago, karelm said:

So when JW scores a movie where each scene furthers the narrative then later scenes get dropped/moved to the start, etc., that won't impact his scoring?  Ok.

What a horrible strawman of what I just said, considering I acknowledged specifically "the source material is going to significantly affect the score produced".

On 11/21/2020 at 7:45 PM, karelm said:

youngerish directors reacting to executives and screenings.  The films are no longer "locked".  There is no long term story telling.  The story changes dramatically based on reshoots and reedits.  JW is now scoring scenes not a film.  He hates that approach as it doesn't allow setting up a scene because a scene you scored to allude to the next cue no longer exists based on screening feedback/executive meddling.  Welcome to Disney.  I can imagine how frustrating this would be to him. 

WELL SAID!!!!!

Ive yet heard a sequel score that equals or exceeds the original. TOD comes damn close and to a lesser extent so does ESB. 

13 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Ive yet heard a sequel score that equals or exceeds the original. TOD comes damn close and to a lesser extent so does ESB. 

Terminator 2?

In Williams' work, I can't think of a sequel score I unequivocally prefer over the original. ESB, TLW, and POA sure give their predecessors a run for their money, though. TOD too. And of course, all of these are quite different from their predecessors.

5 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Terminator 2?

In Williams' work, I can't think of a sequel score I unequivocally prefer over the original. ESB, TLW, and POA sure give their predecessors a run for their money, though. TOD too. And of course, all of these are quite different from their predecessors.

Well thanks for muddying the water. I was so focused on JW. I did not consider other composers . Yes T2 is better than Terminator.