EuropaDeals 2020 - the annual Europadisc CD deals have started!

Jurassic Shark

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I got Swing Kinds just for Sing, Sing, Sing.

It's a magnificent re-recording, even though the arrangement is shortened.

I hope you've heard Benny's extended Carnegie Hall performance!

Deal No. 15: 20% off Channel Classics.

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/offer/2718/EuropaDeal no.15 - Channel Classics.htm?utm_source=Post-GDPR+subscribers&utm_campaign=28a6336426-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_11_23_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_250d0548b0-28a6336426-411830165

At least this one I've heard of!

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Supraphon… I don't have any of their releases, but I remember them regularly popping up as the top critic recommendations for the Czech repertoire. I think a lot of Kubelik's late recordings are in their catalogue.

21 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Supraphon… I don't have any of their releases, but I remember them regularly popping up as the top critic recommendations for the Czech repertoire. I think a lot of Kubelik's late recordings are in their catalogue.

I've got some of their Karel Ancerl albums. The one with the Mendelssohn/Bruch/Berg violin concertos is great.

Regarding Kubelik, I've read that his live Ma Vlast, from 1990 when he returned to Czech after the cold war, is a reference recording when it comes to interpretation and sheer emotion.

Karel Svoboda's score to Three Nuts for Cinderella is also essential, but that one isn't on Europadisc.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Regarding Kubelik, I've read that his live Ma Vlast, from 1990 when he returned to Czech after the cold war, is a reference recording when it comes to interpretation and sheer emotion.

Yes, that's probably where I first read about the label. I already have his Vienna and Boston recordings though, so I never got it.

27 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, that's probably where I first read about the label. I already have his Vienna and Boston recordings though, so I never got it.

There's also a Bayern recording on Orfeo (live, I think).

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's also a Bayern recording on Orfeo (live, I think).

Well, Kubelik made lots of recordings of it, and he was the chief conductor of the BRSO for 18 years, so I'd expect there to be at least one recording with them.

Deal of the day: 25% off LAWO!

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/offer/2737/EuropaDeal_no.25_-_Lawo_Classics.htm

I especially recommend this recording with Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, which contains the amazing timpani concerto by @Marcus.

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/130969/Bergen_Philharmonic_Orchestra:_Opus_250.htm