Star Wars Holiday Special Music

King Mark

The underscore for the Holiday Special is actually pretty good; kind of reminds me of Star Trek TOS in some spots. I'm surprised no one ever talks about the underscore for this "film", considering it's basically the first non-JW Star Wars score ever recorded, so it has some historical significance. 

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

The underscore for the Holiday Special is actually pretty good; kind of reminds me of Star Trek TOS in some spots. I'm surprised no one ever talks about the underscore for this "film", considering it's basically the first non-JW Star Wars score ever recorded, so it has some historical significance. 

This or the NPR Radio Drama cues

I believe the arrangements and score were done by Ian Fraser, who was a frequent collaborator of Leslie Bricusse -- and thus indirectly connected to Williams.

I've seen this once, probably some 15 years ago, and while it was fun, it's not something I ever want to revisit.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The main post of this thread is a youtube embed of the entire special, including the end credits....

The Holiday Special isn't something you simply watch on a whim. It requires a lot of preparationbooze.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Nobody had mentioned Fraser yet, and I thought it was worth mentioning both him and the Bricusse connection.

Technically I did write an additional sentence or two in my comment mentioning Ian Fraser but deleted it because I felt it was redundant... if that counts. :P

16 hours ago, King Mark said:

I dunno. I think  the cues and adaptation  of JW's themes at the end of it are awesome. And kind of wish it was released (with the singing removed and just the orchestral part). Pay attention  to the underscore of the Star Wars main theme when Carrie is singing, it's fantastic!

I also like the small cues over the house in the tree on Kaskyyyk. A beautifull and quite variant of the theme. It should be great to get them! ... One day.