Most Perplexing JW OST Omissions

WampaRat

I honestly don't either. It seems like a trick to make something more easily digestible to a mass market of people who only occasionally buy soundtracks. Not something real fans of film scores really want. 

In one of the Matissino interviews (it could have been cerca the Jurassic Park Collection) he brought up how Williams still assembled albums like they were records. So when you turned the “record” over you started with some iteration/concert arraignment suite to bring you back into the music. I’m probably butchering what he said. But it was something along those lines.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I honestly don't either. It seems like a trick to make something more easily digestible to a mass market of people who only occasionally buy soundtracks. Not something real fans of film scores really want. 

Maybe in the era of Lps, when there are two sides....

But in the CD era?

The first step in creating a good listening experience- which is what I believe should be a priority- is selecting the BEST material.

So, if the composer fails to to do this, he is falling short of his goal.

Right Thor? 😊

7 hours ago, Jay said:

It's definitely an old-fashioned way to arrange an album, considering that nowadays the "mass market of people" very seldom listen to a full CD. But I see the point of Williams wanting to present a "concert version" selection of the score.

However, I've never been able to understand the point of presentig the full version of the main theme(s) both at the beginning and ending of the album. Most of the times (as Williams himself likes to describe often), themes are presented gradually through the film, until they are stated fully towards the end. That sounds like a good "concert version" way of presenting the music outside the film as well. Instead, almost always Williams presents the concert version (sometimes end credits version) of the main theme at the beginning of the film, thus efectively destroying any gradual presentation of the theme.

(It's a logical approach if you are aiming towards the listeners who don't have the patience to listen to the entire thing and only want to listen to the main theme... but then that's NOT a concert version presentation of the score!)

Oh I don't mind if a score has big presentations of the main them at the beginning and ending, as long as they are unique; IE, a main title arrangement and an end title arrangent, or replace either one of those with a concert arrangement.

But I don't get why he will repeat the exact same recording to open and close an album, like Star Wars, Superman, 1941, Raiders, Witches of Eastwick, Saving Private Ryan, The Phantom Menace, Angela's Ashes, The Patriot, Minority Report, Lincoln... the mirroring doesn't work for me because it is the same recording, sometime edited down in one spot, sometimes completely identical in both places

"The Peterson House and Finale" is full of repeats

2:44-3:14 was already heard in track #4 1:19-1:47

3:14-5:43 was already heard in track #1 0:37-3:09

8:26-9:29 was already heard in track #4 2:20-3:09 / 3:44-end

9:29-10:31 was already heard in track #5 0:00-1:01

(and by repeats, I truly mean the exact same recording/take assembly)

Warning: You can never unhear this once you know!

Well, it's the final cue of the film, followed by the assembly of various pieces of cues that Spielberg had the music editors put into the end credits of the film.

I disagree about desert chase but i literally had/have that version memorized after listening to it hundreds of times. Its the new version thats awkward for me, can't listen to it. Of course all early scores as they were initially released are my go to as Ive literally worn out albums. TI, Jaws, Star Wars, and Superman. 

And yes #1 is the ending of TOD, a nearly perfect score.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well, it's the final cue of the film, followed by the assembly of various pieces of cues that Spielberg had put into the end credits of the film.

So, the cue that is called "End Credits" in the spreadsheet is actually just some sort of "Mischief Managed"?:D

On 11/18/2020 at 11:12 AM, Jay said:

'15 Force Awakens … Where’s the Resistance March variation from the battle on Maz’s planet?

An incredible cue for an incredible film scene. Its omission from the OST is probably the thing which led me to this board and into the whole world of FYCs and LTPs.

That said, I wouldn’t call its omission from the OST perplexing, per se—it is omitted due to the presence of the concert version. Just disappointing as hell.

I would like to see a release of a " bonus tracks" styled disc; like on the Concord box.

MORE MUSIC FROM INDY..featuring unreleased material.

I know most here wouldn't be satisfied . but seveny minutes of ' new' material on one disc is preferable to a complete , and COSTLY, redo. IMHO

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

I would like to see a release of a " bonus tracks" styled disc; like on the Concord box.

MORE MUSIC FROM INDY..featuring unreleased material.

I know most here wouldn't be satisfied . but seveny minutes of ' new' material on one disc is preferable to a complete , and COSTLY, redo. IMHO

Sell your box now, then you'll afford the new releases when they're eventually done.

Just now, bruce marshall said:

It just seems like it would be easier for DISNEY to produce a MORE MUSIC FROM...cd than an eight disc redo.

Isn't that better than nothing?

After 40 fucking years, to hell with "better than nothing"s.

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It just seems like it would be easier for DISNEY to produce a MORE MUSIC FROM...cd than an eight disc redo.

Isn't that better than nothing?

Yes, a "more music from" album would be better than nothing.

The point is that properly made 2CD sets for each of the 4 scores would be even better.

I really like the When You Wish Upon a Star End Credits in CE3K.  It works much better than the editing job on the OST.  Soooo satisfying.

For those of you old enough to remember the mid 90s, when the expansions first started hitting, it is almost indescribable.  Hearing Disc IV on the Star Wars Anthology Box Set, and the expanded Return of the Jedi was sublime.

I remember getting the DCC Raiders Disc for Christmas.  All. Those. Cues.  The opening titles.  The Raven Bar.  The full Desert Chase.

I'd say my favorite was Airplane Fight.  I think I cried when I first heard it cleanly.

14 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

John Williams slices out redundancies. His editorial decisions are law.

Williams omits unnecessary tracks like he omits face masks in a global pandemic. The former is understandable, the latter is truly perplexing. 

8 hours ago, Bellosh said:

I was a complete noob back in 2008, and was very appreciative of the Concord set (still am! I love it to death.)

But if Stanley and Iris can be complete, then so can the Indy films.

Not really a debate.

How much score is on IRIS?

I bet it's less than half to a third of TOD.

Jwfan needs to hire Alexander Mundy to purloin the master tapes.😝

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

How much score is on IRIS?

I bet it's less than half to a third of TOD.

The complete score to Stanley and Iris is 42 minutes long.  Robert Townson elected to only release 28 minutes of it on the 1990 OST.

The new Varese Deluxe edition contains the entire 42 minute score plus 15 minutes of alternates for a 58 minute total length, and then the complete 19 minute score to Pete N Tillie is also included to make the entire CD's total length be 77 minutes

15 hours ago, Jay said:

The existence of a improperly made expansion is almost more reason to invest resources into making a properly done one, not less reason.

And by golly, it'll make corrected versions of SW, ESB, ROTJ, Hook and the Indy trilogy that much sweeter when Mike gets a chance to fix them all.