La-La Land Records Black Friday 2020

EhTar

34 minutes ago, Romão said:

Could Dune be the 3000 units 2 cd set? I'm not even sure if it could fill out two cd's, but I'm pretty sure one cd is not enough

Which Dune are we talking about?

14 minutes ago, Romão said:

Toto's and Brian Eno's

I'd buy that. I recently put the album in my playlist again, and it stuck around for several days in a row. It's been ages since I've seen the film - how does the album compare to the full score? Is there a lot missing? And is the score more narrative than the album?

16 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Eno is releasing a compilation of his film music in January.

Includes DUNE cues.😁

Hmmm? Are you referring to Film Music, 1976 - 2020? That's out already, at least... I'm looking at it in my iTunes Library and can listen to it... so I presume it's out.

Only one cue from Dune, "Prophecy Theme".

2 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

Yeha, Digital was the 13th, CD in January 2021

Ah I see. Still only one cue from "Dune" though. In fact, there's really only one cue from each film he's featuring. 

13 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Ah I see. Still only one cue from "Dune" though. In fact, there's really only one cue from each film he's featuring. 

Wasn't that all that was on the lp?

I believe it includes all original compositions , not cues that were needle dropped!

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

Wasn't that all that was on the lp?

Yes, you're right. Sorry it's been a long day and to be fair you did say cues (plural) in your initial post furthering my tired confusion:

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Eno is releasing a compilation of his film music in January.

Includes DUNE cues.😁

On 11/18/2020 at 9:22 PM, Jay said:

Here's the past Black Friday history is anyone is curious

1. JADE: LIMITED EDITION by James Horner
  2. BATMAN RETURNS: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET) by Danny Elfman
  3. STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET) by Jerry Goldsmith
  4. HOME ALONE: LIMITED EDITION by John Williams

1. SCROOGED: LIMITED EDITION by Danny Elfman
  2. DIE HARD: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by Michael Kamen
  3. FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by Ennio Morricone
  4. TORA! TORA! TORA!: LIMITED EDITION by Jerry Goldsmith
  5. SCROOGED: LIMITED EDITION by Danny Elfman

1. STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION: LIMITED EDITION (15-CD BOX SET) by Various Composers
  2. HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by John Williams
  3. DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by Michael Kamen
  4. THE UNTOUCHABLES: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by Ennio Morricone

1. LETHAL WEAPON SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION: LIMITED EDITION (8-CD BOX SET) by Michael Kamen, Eric Clapton and David Sanborn
  2. GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL: LIMITED EDITION by Dimitri Tiomkin
  3. POLICE ACADEMY: LIMITED EDITION by Robert Folk
  4. SUPERMAN RETURNS: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by John Ottman
  5. BONNIE & CLYDE by John Debney

1. THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST: EXPANDED TENTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by John Debney
  2. STAR TREK ENTERPRISE COLLECTION: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET) by Dennis McCarthy, Kevin Kiner, Jay Chattaway, David Bell, Paul Baillargeon, Velton Ray Bunch, Mark McKenzie, John Frizzell and Brian Tyler
  3. SHAFT: LIMITED EDITION by David Arnold
  4. THE DANNY ELFMAN BATMAN COLLECTION (4-CD SET) by Danny Elfman
  5. BIG TOP PEE-WEE: LIMITED EDITION by Danny Elfman

1. GIANT: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by Dimitri Tiomkin
  2. DANCES WITH WOLVES: 25th ANNIVERSARY EXPANDED LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by John Barry
  3. BRAVEHEART: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by James Horner
  4. HOME ALONE: 25th ANNIVERSARY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by John Williams
  5. THE PAGEMASTER: LIMITED EDITION by James Horner

1. THE JOHN WILLIAMS JURASSIC PARK COLLECTION: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET) by John Williams
  2. STAR TREK 50th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION MUSICAL RARITIES FROM ACROSS THE STAR TREK UNIVERSE: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET) by Various Composers
  3. BEVERLY HILLS COP: LIMITED EDITION by Harold Faltermeyer
  4. BEVERLY HILLS COP II: LIMITED EDITION by Harold Faltermeyer
  5. THE FRENCH CONNECTION COLLECTION: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by Don Eilis and Brad Fiedel

1. DIE ANOTHER DAY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by David Arnold
  2. TITANIC – 20th ANNIVERSARY: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET) by James Horner
  3. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND: 40th ANNIVERSARY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by John Williams
  4. DOCTOR DOLITTLE: 50th ANNIVERSARY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by Leslie Bricusse
  5. DAVID SHIRE’S APOCALYPSE NOW – THE UNUSED SCORE: LIMITED EDITION by David Shire

1. HARRY POTTER – THE JOHN WILLIAMS SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION LIMITED EDITION (7-CD BOX SET) by John Williams
  2. SCHINDLER’S LIST – 25th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by John Williams
  3. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by David Arnold
  4. BRAM STOKER’S DRACULA: LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET) by Wojciech Kilar
  5. LAND OF THE GIANTS 50th ANNIVERSARY SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET) by John Williams, Alexander Courage, Leith Stevens, Harry Geller, Artie Kane, Joseph Mullendore, Richard LaSalle, Robert Prince, Irving Gertz and Paul Sawtell

1. DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION – BY JOHN WILLIAMS: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD BOX SET) by John Williams
  2. NEVADA SMITH – THE PARAMOUNT WESTERNS COLLECTION: LIMITED EDIITON (4-CD SET) by Alfred Newman, Nelson Riddle, Walter Scharf, Johnny Douglas, Paul Dunlap, David Raskin, Harry Sukman, Roy Webb, Franz Waxman, Daniele Amfitheatrof and Victor Young
  3. STARGATE: 25th ANNIVERSARY EXPANDED LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) by David Arnold
  4. THE KARATE KID: 35th ANNIVERSARY: LIMITED EDITION by Bill Conti
  5. STAR TREK VOYAGER COLLECTION VOLUME 2: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET) by Jay Chataway, Dennis McCarthy, David Bell and Paul Baillargeon

And the prior threads if you want to relive the excitement

Thanks for this! I actually sometimes re-read the page on the LLL thread when they announced HP. Good times.

Talking quantities, I reminded myself just now that SPR is 4000 units :o

I mean, I know Williams sells, but you'd surely apply that largely to expansions that are significantly expanded. There's no way LLL would've done 4000 if they'd only been allowed to do a straight reissue... surely?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Hook 4 CD it is.

Hah! I'm not sure how you could possibly reach 4 CDs of material for Hook, unless they discovered some treasure trove of unused material from the abandoned musical version.

I could maybe see a remastered OST being included just to get that slowed down Prologue included (seemingly Williams' preferred version).

Personally, I don't see the point of remastered OSTs unless they contain exclusive material or alternate mixes/takes.

I'm not familiar enough with Hook to know how much the OST differs from the film. Only the slow Prologue and alternate (microedited?) Flight to Neverland spring to mind.

EDIT: Oh, I guess it also has the Never-Feast without insert and Presenting the Hook without the Slicing the Hand segment, and album version of Banning Back Home.

EDIT 2: And also a section of Ultimate War that was replaced by a film insert in the final cut. And also You Are The Pan without choir (I think the film version and LLL had choir).

OK, there's quite a few differences then. :P

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'd buy that. I recently put the album in my playlist again, and it stuck around for several days in a row. It's been ages since I've seen the film - how does the album compare to the full score? Is there a lot missing? And is the score more narrative than the album?

I'm not even sure, but the score does really need a good remastering and the Prophecy Theme is greatly missed on the expanded release

31 minutes ago, Romão said:

I'm not even sure, but the score does really need a good remastering and the Prophecy Theme is greatly missed on the expanded release

I wasn't even aware there was an expanded release! I only just looked it up on Soundtrackcollector. How does that compare, musically, to the album then? (Mainly I'm wondering if the "album feel" of the original album comes just from the album assembly/if the score as a whole has more of a narrative flow)

44 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Personally, I don't see the point of remastered OSTs unless they contain exclusive material or alternate mixes/takes.

I'm not familiar enough with Hook to know how much the OST differs from the film. Only the slow Prologue and alternate (microedited?) Flight to Neverland spring to mind.

EDIT: Oh, I guess it also has the Never-Feast without insert and Presenting the Hook without the Slicing the Hand segment, and album version of Banning Back Home.

EDIT 2: And also a section of Ultimate War that was replaced by a film insert in the final cut. And also You Are The Pan without choir (I think the film version and LLL had choir).

OK, there's quite a few differences then. :P

Yeah, plus it could really do with a remaster and that would also leave plenty of room for more bonus material/better listening experience.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I wasn't even aware there was an expanded release! I only just looked it up on Soundtrackcollector. How does that compare, musically, to the album then? (Mainly I'm wondering if the "album feel" of the original album comes just from the album assembly/if the score as a whole has more of a narrative flow)

Oh, I thought you were familiar with that one. The scores flows and develops in a much, much, better way. You also get dialogue free tracks and the main title version on this edition just blows the on the OST out of the water (the difference is really shocking). Still, there are still some tracks on it with a wobbly effect, some music cues are still missing and the Prophecy Theme is completely absent. But imperfect as it is, I think you will find that edition quite revelatory of the score's quality

20 minutes ago, Romão said:

The scores flows and develops in a much, much, better way.

That's what I was hoping. I like the album, but it very much feels like an "album" in the "rock/pop" kind of way: A collection of tracks that are somewhat related, but don't really form a single coherent work. Think album vs. concept album, if you want to stay in the genre. Or perhaps like a watered down condensation of a concept album that loses the concept in the process, like a greatest hits compilation from The Wall.

And I obviously wouldn't mind dropping the Harkonnen dialogue, though I *am* fond of the opening narration. That opening track is mainly responsible for making me think I'd like to see the film again, although I know that for all its fascinating details, it never fails to disappoint me.

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's what I was hoping. I like the album, but it very much feels like an "album" in the "rock/pop" kind of way: A collection of tracks that are somewhat related, but don't really form a single coherent work. Think album vs. concept album, if you want to stay in the genre. Or perhaps like a watered down condensation of a concept album that loses the concept in the process, like a greatest hits compilation from The Wall.

And I obviously wouldn't mind dropping the Harkonnen dialogue, though I *am* fond of the opening narration. That opening track is mainly responsible for making me think I'd like to see the film again, although I know that for all its fascinating details, it never fails to disappoint me.

I kinda miss the opening narration as well, but the music behind it is really quite nice. An ideal expanded edition would probably include both versions. I also remembered, the expanded edition also doesn't include Final Dream from the OST.

Have a listen to the expanded version, if you can, Marian. I'd be quite curious to read your thoughts

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

@Jay is there any Williams or Goldsmith?

On 11/18/2020 at 4:52 PM, Jay said:

I have no clue what any of the other titles could be.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Hah! I'm not sure how you could possibly reach 4 CDs of material for Hook, unless they discovered some treasure trove of unused material from the abandoned musical version.

I could maybe see a remastered OST being included just to get that slowed down Prologue included (seemingly Williams' preferred version).

They did a four CD of ROBIN HOOD....after they did a THREE CD#

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't it a bit racist to call it black Friday?

"Differently white Friday"

If memory serves, it's called "black Friday", because the day after Thanksgiving is, for most retail businesses, traditionally, the most lucrative day of the year.

It's enough to put struggling businesses back into the black.

21 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Do you have the complete track listing?

Thanks!

Complete track listing of what? The Eno compilation?

It's on his site and in my iTunes library:

Spoiler

01 Top Boy (Theme) from Top Boy - Series 1 (2011)
02 Ship in a Bottle from The Lovely Bones (2009)
03 Blood Red from Francis Bacon’s Arena (2005)
04 Under from Cool World (1992)
05 Decline And Fall from O Nome da Morte (2017)
06 Prophecy Theme from Dune (1984)
07 Reasonable Question from We Are As Gods (2020)
08 Late Evening In Jersey from Heat (1995)
09 Beach Sequence from Beyond The Clouds (1995)
10 You Don’t Miss Your Water from Married to the Mob (1988)
11 Deep Blue Day from Trainspotting (1996)
12 The Sombre from Top Boy - Series 2 (2013)
13 Dover Beach from Jubilee (1978)
14 Design as Reduction from Rams (2018)
15 Undersea Steps from Hammerhead (2004)
16 Final Sunset from Sebastiane (1976)
17 An Ending (Ascent) from For All Mankind (1989)

5 hours ago, Jay said:

So long story short, if Matessino ever gets to do Hook over, and they can provide him every take of every cue (or at least the selected takes) he'd be more than capable of recreating the proper performance edits of the whole score and we'd finally get the actual performances we were meant to hear outside of the film for the first time since 1991.  The boot, leak, and LLL CD are all a mixture of portions of takes we were meant to hear and portions of takes we were not.

I must admit, I am quite unfamiliar with Hook and all of that sounds like a nightmare!