John Debney's HOME SWEET HOME ALONE (2021)

Jay

2 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

As opposed to all the classless ways other composers did Williams' themes.

Often, yes. I'm not thrilled with the treatment of Williams themes in stuff like ROGUE ONE, JP3, the JW movies or JAWS 3D, for example. And I would worry a whole lot more if this was in the hands of certain other composers. Debney, on the other hand, has a track record that shows he can do Williams' stylings in a classy way.

21 hours ago, Arpy said:

I've never had any reason to boycott a film, but I will for this one. I don't really care who's scoring it, what I care about is that they have the audacity to take a beloved Christmas film that's not even thirty years old, and remake it so the same assholes who shoveled buckets of popcorn down their throats with Aladdin, The Lion King and the other soulless, sadistic, cheap, hollow, incredulous, disingenuous remakes will come flying back to the cinemas for this garbage.

You know what else will suck, and nothing against Debney - but this film won't have the same songwriting from Leslie Bricusse or Williams' magical themes. So fuck this, fuck everything about this. I don't love Home Alone, but the idea of remaking it because it will sell tickets is disgusting consumerist crap.

Oh, please. Get off your pedestal. There are already five Home Alone films; and “Christmas Classics” are remade constantly.

Not to mention this is a Disney+ film, no one will be seeing this in a theater. 

I'd lost track of how many films there had been. I've always been fond of #3 as a harmless threequel, with a perfectly good score by Glennie-Smith.

You could say that if they're getting Debney on board, they're at least making an effort. I'd barely heard of David Kitay, who did #5.

On 11/20/2020 at 2:55 AM, Koray Savas said:

Oh, please. Get off your pedestal. There are already five Home Alone films; and “Christmas Classics” are remade constantly.

Not to mention this is a Disney+ film, no one will be seeing this in a theater. 

John Hughes himself rewrote Miracle on 34th Street in between 2 and 3 lol.

And as you say Home Alone has already been sequelized to hell and back. 3-5 were basically “reboots” anyway and the third one only used Williams in the title if I remember right.

But complaining about this is like giving any attention to a TV movie or VHS release. Same financial imperative as back in the day, they’re just doing this to generate content like always. The only difference is adults inexplicably pay attention to these things like they’re big news and it gets publicized like a major release, I suppose because Disney+ is new and all, the Fox sale etc, but this is literally no different than when Fox farted out 4 and 5 for Disney’s ABC networks.

Like that’s the other thing is this is technically Fox/Disney’s third Home Alone project anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Disney green-lights another 'Home Alone' movie but they won't green-light a 'Home Alone 2' LTP concert.  

There are orchestras in the USA and Canada that have presented the 'Home Alone' LTP concert every year during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season.

Detroit Symphony Orchestra since 2016

Nashville Symphony Orchestra since 2017

Toronto Symphony Orchestra since 2017

5 hours ago, SyncMan said:

Disney green-lights another 'Home Alone' movie but they won't green-light a 'Home Alone 2' LTP concert.  

There are orchestras in the USA and Canada that have presented the 'Home Alone' LTP concert every year during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season.

Detroit Symphony Orchestra since 2016

Nashville Symphony Orchestra since 2017

Toronto Symphony Orchestra since 2017

Sort of a pandemic going on...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
47 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Um, am I supposed to know any of these actors?

Interesting!  I was going to say that this is a surprisingly loaded cast!

Most of them are American stand-up comedians or comic actors.  Ellie Kemper was on the American version of The Office and went on to star in Tina Fey’s show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for Netflix.  Rob Delaney is a stand-up who does a ton of supporting roles in ensemble comedies.  He starred in a British comedy called Catastrophe and had a brief but memorable supporting role in Deadpool 2.  Kenan Thompson has been on Saturday Night Live for two decades.  Tim Simons was hilarious on HBO’s Veep.  Pete Holmes is a well known stand-up and comedy writer who had his own talk show on TBS, his own HBO show, and a guest writing gig on The Simpsons.  Chris Parnell is an SNL alumnus who is pretty omnipresent in comedy movies and TV!

Ive seen the other adults in the cast in various places but nothing particularly memorable.

still don’t anticipate this is gonna be very good, but we’ll watch it with our kid this winter.

So Devin Ratray will presumably be reprising his role of Buzz from the first two movies, providing connective tissue between this movie and the previous series.  Which signature Home Alone role will he play: absent-minded parent, bumbling burglar, or street weirdo with a heart of gold?

• 1 month later...
On 12/08/2021 at 8:22 PM, mstrox said:

So Devin Ratray will presumably be reprising his role of Buzz from the first two movies, providing connective tissue between this movie and the previous series.  Which signature Home Alone role will he play: absent-minded parent, bumbling burglar, or street weirdo with a heart of gold?

That's Officer McCallister to you!

The trailer looks like a rehash of the first film. You half expect Kevin to turn up at one point and hand over the blowtorch he used on harry to the new kid or something.

EDIT: Yep, Kevin will cameo too. Source.

I actually chuckled at Kemper and Delaney's lines in the trailer, that alone makes it funnier than the third HA movie.

But yeah, it's essentially a remake of the first one.