John Debney's HOME SWEET HOME ALONE (2021)

Jay

5 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Well, Ellie Kemper WAS on SNL...

No she wasn't.  She did audition, but didn't get in.  And she's never hosted.

I still have some hope for the score though, as I know JD wants to stay faithful to JW's original scores. The only way that wouldn't be the case is if the director pressured him to go a different direction, which I don't think will be the case.

27 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

It saddens me a great deal that all Debney chooses to work on are z-movies like this one here.

He has such as... interesting... range as a composer. It's funny to tell people "the guy who scored the Spongebob live-action movie also scored Passion of the Christ. And Iron Man 2. And the Orville. And a ton of movies nobody's ever heard of." :lol:

He is probably after easy, stress-free projects only. I can see no other logic behind this. Films like this remake here are for rookie composers who are learning the ropes, not a well-seasoned, academy award nominee.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

No she wasn't.  She did audition, but didn't get in.  And she's never hosted.

I could've sworn she was on SNL. Maybe it's because she's done movies and TV shows with SNL regulars like Tina Fey.

Oh well.

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m certain we’ll watch it with our kid this year.

I refuse!  My kids already love the original and I haven't even shown them Lost in New York.  They wanna watch shitty Home Alone sequels, they can do it when they're older and more in control of their own viewing habits.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I still have some hope for the score though, as I know JD wants to stay faithful to JW's original scores. The only way that wouldn't be the case is if the director pressured him to go a different direction, which I don't think will be the case.

He has such as... interesting... range as a composer. It's funny to tell people "the guy who scored the Spongebob live-action movie also scored Passion of the Christ. And Iron Man 2. And the Orville. And a ton of movies nobody's ever heard of." :lol:

They even used Williams' theme in the trailer. So Debney must have reused it in the film

3 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

He is probably after easy, stress-free projects only. I can see no other logic behind this. Films like this remake here are for rookie composers who are learning the ropes, not a well-seasoned, academy award nominee.

Or I suppose his rates could be pretty low so studios keep offering him projects, and he just doesn't know how to say no. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I made it half way through the trailer, and I had to turn it off. Culkin was OK, as a smart-ass kid, but it just doesn't work with some borderline pubescent, middle-class, toffee-nose, English private school, asshole - sorry - arsehole.

This Christmas, I'll be watching the genuine article.

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

They even used Williams' theme in the trailer. So Debney must have reused it in the film

I saw the trailer, and I have a few things to say. I REALLY hope that John Debney made NO references to the Maestro's work to Home Alone. This film, Home Sweet... I cannot even finish the title. The tag line for this film, "Holiday classics were made to be broken," REALLY speaks volumes. This film cannot break the timelessness of the original classic, of course. Both Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost In New York are genuine Christmas classics. This upcoming film, just from the trailer alone, looks EMBARRASSINGLY AWFUL. I am not giving this film a second-thought. The only thing I am looking forward to regarding this trash are the negative reviews.

5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

h4n4zljqnvovfo2nke96.gif

Okay, that one bit too. Otherwise it's lesser in every aspect, even a failure in some it tries to imitate.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Okay, that one bit too. Otherwise it's lesser in every aspect, even a failure in some it tries to imitate.

I think of it less as an independent story and more as Home Alone 2.0. 

Like the first one?  Here's a bigger one with more pranks 

17 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Like the first one?  Here's a bigger one with more pranks 

And with virtually none of the heart, genuineness and caring writing that made the first one so good!

8 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

This upcoming film, just from the trailer alone, looks EMBARRASSINGLY AWFUL. I am not giving this film a second-thought. The only thing I am looking forward to regarding this trash are the negative reviews.

Completely agree about the film, but I think it's inevitably going to reference JW's theme, if the usage in the trailer is any indication.

I don't really see why referencing his themes would be so objectionable anyway... you don't have to listen to it.

There are five HOME ALONE movies, folks, don't forget that. While it's hard to compete with 1 and 2, this will no doubt be on 3's level, at the very least, and probably better than 4 and 5. Doesn't take much.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

There are five HOME ALONE movies, folks, don't forget that. While it's hard to compete with 1 and 2, this will no doubt be on 3's level, at the very least, and probably better than 4 and 5. Doesn't take much.

I can honestly say I did not know that. I always thought there was just Hone Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost In New York. Those other movies must have been bad. This is even more embarrassing.

3 is ok if you don't expect another one like Columbus'.

Never seen 4 or 5, and I assume they're just really silly. Hard to say where this one will fall, although its production values look on par with the first two.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Home Alone 2 isn't a classic at all. The score is great, but suffers from the idiotically long finale and lacks reverb. Brenda Fricker is awesome because she's Irish and other than that it's just okay-ish.

It's embarrassing how much of an obvious "throw something together quick" cash-in it is.  Like Holko said, it follows the formula of the first one but has none of the heart or groundedness (not a word, I know).

As a kid I always thought Home Alone 1 & 2 were equally great

As an adult I've revisited Home Alone 1 probably half a dozen or more times and it remains an utter classic in every way.  I revisited Home Alone 2 once and enjoyed it quite a bit!  Maybe I need to watch it again

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Its production values look on par with the first two.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Wait, you’re serious?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

It's embarrassing how much of an obvious "throw something together quick" cash-in it is.  Like Holko said, it follows the formula of the first one but has none of the heart or groundedness (not a word, I know).

Well, in the filmmakers' defence, there's absolutely nothing they could have done differently, is there? Home Alone made money, they wanted more money, so... what do you do?

I think Home Alone 2 can be fun in a way, if you look past the fact that the characters make pretty much the same mistakes as the first film and beyond that, the story beats are practically identical. The pranks are pretty funny, which - let's be fair, that's why anybody watches the film. It got old from the third film onwards, and they tried to rectify that by making things even more absurd.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Wait, you’re serious?

I mean the amount of money thrown at it to make everything look fancy. The entertainment quality of the end result looks beyond terrible of course.

As a kid, Home Alone 2 always felt more fun. Now I recognize it as a copy of the first, but the setting was more enjoyable. 

Might be nostalgia too. I was more into Home Alone during 2. I played the crap out of the SNES game and had one of those recording devices. 

I forgot to mention that this trailer does not feel like it is advertising a “new” movie. It honestly looks like a parody skit. Imagine this is actually a poor SNL skit; unfortunately, this is real.

Dialogue snippets:

"Max, you're what the Japanese call 'Munō'"

"Max, you are such a plague!"

"There are 9 people in this house and the only one who causes problems."

"Look what you did, you tiny moron."

At least the response to this has been mostly negative. I like this one comment:

This is an embarrassment to the medium of film. What a way to tell the world you're creatively bankrupt. It seems completely void of any original ideas and the "modern" brand of humor they are porting in and pouring on top of this soulless remake of a holiday classic is at least 10 years old. "Hey guys! What if we remake Home Alone beat-for-beat (yet again), only we make the kid British and have the criminals talk like they belong in a Steve Carell film from 15 years ago?" - whoever pitched this piece of filmic fecal matter

Lost in New York is not a perfect movie (far from it), but it has the funniest scene in all of the franchise*:

*I haven't watched any of the movies past the second one, nor will I watch the D+ reboot, but I assume neither of those movies have/will have a scene as funny as the one above.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Are you saying you've not only seen them all but that 3 is the worst one? That seems crazy....I've only seen the bits of Home Alone 4 on the Red Letter Media ep with Culkin but yikes. 3 was written by John Hughes so it's at least sort of a real movie. Some mild wit in there.

But I won't watch this and going off the trailer I knew this was basically all it was ever gonna be. It should have been about burglars trying and failing to rob Joe Pesci. Not Harry. Joe Pesci. Now that'd be a Home Alone.