John Debney's HOME SWEET HOME ALONE (2021)

Jay

The title of the track "Nice Try, Kevin" does indeed have a story purpose. In that scene, Buzz is called back to the house the new kid is in to deal with a 'forgotten child', and he refuses. That's because, in petty revenge for being left behind twice, Kevin prank-calls the Police every year with that call, knowing they'll get Buzz to look into it. Kevin also became a home security expert, it's his home security system the new kid's house uses. "Nice try, Kevin. Nice try, troutsniffer".

About the only thing I would say has any value in this film, I must say.

I think I'm in the smaller group of folks who enjoyed this score. I didn't mind any of the Williams quotes moments, though I guess if I had a least-favorite, it's the one @Disco Stu pointed out in It's a Christmas Miracle. 

While it didn't move me in a huge way, I overall really enjoyed it and found it to be a joyful, Christmas-flavored score that contains one of my most favorite Williams melodies and it made me smile a number of times. 

Haven't watched the movie, but according to its Pitch Meeting, the kid is the villain and the intruders are the heroes... right?

Man, how I hate this trend of "likeable antagonists". Not only it makes less enjoyable when they're having their assess kicked, it also make the supposed hero look like a jerk.

For example, in the Aquaman movie the "villain" was trying to keep the surface inhabitants to continue poluting the seas. So, does that make Aquaman in favor of pollution?

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Haven't watched the movie, but according to its Pitch Meeting, the kid is the villain and the intruders are the heroes... right?

Man, how I hate this trend of "likeable antagonists". Not only it makes less enjoyable when they're having their assess kicked, it also make the supposed hero look like a jerk.

For example, in the Aquaman movie the "villain" was trying to keep the surface inhabitants to continue poluting the seas. So, does that make Aquaman in favor of pollution?

Don’t waste your time. The movie is beyond terrible except for the score. 
In fact nobody is a villain in the movie. But it is not funny in any way.
Probably only very small kids may like it (but my 7years old daughter falled asleep  after 15 min. My 12 years old watched to the end but didn’t liked it).

I have little hope for other Disney+ sequels like Hocus Pocus 2 but at least it can inspire a good score from Debney.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2021 at 2:25 AM, Alex said:
  Hide contents

Alan Silvestri’s Mouse Hunt is quoted (can’t remember whether it was on the album or not.

On 14/11/2021 at 5:45 AM, Drew said:

Is anyone going to mention how Silvestri’s Mouse Hunt theme is used verbatim in this score? Following the temp much?

Ah; so I'm NOT alone in catching that one!

Haven't watched the film; I just noticed it on the album and had to rewind to make absolutely sure.

Track "Who Raised This Monster" starting just past the 01:10 mark.

It's pretty blatantly obvious; and repeats twice.
is it safe to assume there's a story reason for it?

Have to say, on the whole this sounds pretty pleasant.

Nice to hear the Williams back; and thankfully not all the exact same variations we heard before.

Also fun to have some other Christmas melodies intertwined in there.

As well as the Sugar Plum and such.

• 4 weeks later...

A little late to the game on this one, but I think this score is really successful!  Debney’s original stuff fits right into the world of Williams’ scores without sounding like a rip-off of same.  As for the use of Williams’ stuff - it’s fine and I’m sure it was mandated, but honestly I think the score was strong enough that it didn’t need to reference Williams’ so heavily.  Probably my favorite thing Debney’s done in a long long time.  

The movie was bad although not nearly as bad as the trailer made it look.  It really benefitted from pulling the focus away from the obnoxious kid and focusing more on the comedian adults - it was funny enough just to watch Rob Delaney and Ellie Kemper pull faces for an hour.  As for the little “twist” (

Spoiler

The robbers realizing what they’d done and comforting/helping the kid

) - I think it was a great idea that contributed to the themes of the movie but didn’t really work great in the end.