Would Kingdom of the Crystal Skull be in your top 10 if it was the only Indiana Jones score/film?

Bellosh

Would Kingdom of the Crystal Skull be in your top 10 if it was the only Indiana Jones score/film?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would Kingdom of the Crystal Skull be in your top 10 if it was the only Indiana Jones score/film?

It's safe to say that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is not cracking anyone's top 10 JW scores any time soon.  I don't even think an expansion can do that.

But if it was the ONLY Indy score, would it?

Keep in mind it would be the first time you hear the amazing Raiders March and Marion's Theme. The other themes in it might carry some more weight as well.

Is that alone, enough?

I liken it to The Force Awakens.  If TFA was the only Star Wars score/film, I'm sure it'd be in many top 10's here.  And that's not to compare either scores, TFA might be a better score overall, but the concept remains the same.

Ultimately KOTCS will always (whether unfair or not) be compared to the untouchable trilogy but, for me, KOTCS would easily be in the top 10, maybe top 5 if it was the ONLY Indy score

Nah.  I love this score, but the man has simply written at least 10 other scores that are better than it, even if you try to wrap your brain into a world where you have to put all the Impact of the Raiders March and Marion themes into this score

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah.  I love this score, but the man has simply written at least 10 other scores that are better than it, even if you try to wrap your brain into a world where you have to put all the Impact of the Raiders March and Mario themes into this score

Keep in mind it has the Raiders March, Marion's theme and that amazing endtitle.

If thoses were the first time you ever heard the Indy march(raiders doesn't exist). Yes absolutely because the Raiders march is a cinema score classic. 

It would be a Jerry Goldsmith/esqe JW classic. Mediocre film and a unique score with amazing themes again never before heard in a film

I never understood the general hate towards this score. The OST is not a good representation of the music but there's a sessions leak.It's a bit like RotS where I was disappointed by the OST until  the unreleased music was available

It's top tier and equal to all the SW Prequel and Sequel scores

Surprised it's only got 5 votes so far.

I know hypothetical questions can get tricky, but I really think a lot of people are sleeping on how much they would love the Raiders March if it was first presented in 2008.

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

I often have similar sensibilities as KM, but this time, no.

There is quite a bit of material that doesn't accelerate, or get you from point A to B.  The action music noisy, the comedy music over the top.  So, it can't quite be top tier because it really seems to lack focus.

Which is a dang shame, because the end credits prove all the ingredients are there; they just don't come together well.  Irina's theme is criminally underused.  The Russian music from the End Credits is unique to the End Credits.  Dovchenko could've been more obviously "leitmotifed" with it.  The arrangement of Mutt's theme in the End Credits seems to know what it wants to do more than even the concert piece. Whirl Through Academe is just a bit too frantic to be fun.  Ants! offers some rhythmic promise, but never comes remotely close to Airplane Fight or Slave Children's fist fight.

Having said all of that... It would definitely be in the top 10 just on the strength of the legacy themes and the complimentary new themes.  The End Credits is splendid... It really is.  I just wish it was more representative of the whole of the score.

I'll also take this opportunity to say that I've been listening to this score a lot lately, so my take is fresh. I actually do like the film, as I do the Star Wars Sequels.  But as a fan of both, I don't feel Williams captured the magic here like he did on the Sequels.

Too bad that wonderful new counterpoint arranged into Indy's theme is only heard in the final seconds of the score.  That made the hairs on my neck stand up in the theater as the Credits were finishing.

After watching and listening to " Warehouse Escape" and the complete " Jungle Chase" I can't say my opinion has changed much.

The former is very good indeed, and the scene is great!.

But, the latter still falls flat for me. It's two parts - MUTTS THEME and DESERT CHASE.

I really dislike Mutts theme and we heard DEZERT in ROTLA.

So, I'm agnostic if this really will benefit greatly from expansion. Improved, yes.

LAST CRUSADE is my favorite film and score😍

On 11/19/2020 at 9:13 AM, Thor said:

No, it wouldn't.

But for all the times I keep saying that his post-2005 scores are disappointing to me, it's always in relation to Williams' own oeuvre. Compared to most anything and anyone else, they still hold a very high standard. So, for example, INDY 4 would no doubt feature on my top 10 list of 2008 scores.

It would, but it's still kinda boring. The 10-minute Jungle Chase is a lonely highlight (and even that repeats large strokes of prior stylistics) and i cannot bear how all these AI/MR/WotW minimalist/dissonant licks have found their way into IJ territory.

49 minutes ago, publicist said:

It would, but it's still kinda boring. The 10-minute Jungle Chase is a lonely highlight (and even that repeats large strokes of prior stylistics) and i cannot bear how all these AI/MR/WotW minimalist/dissonant licks have found their way into IJ territory.

The underscore is woefully dull in KOCS, which is thoroughly unlike the underscore in the original 3. You could take any atmospheric, 'quiet' track from TOD and it would wipe the floor with the underscore in KOCS. That Williams saw fit to populate his OST with so many of those tracks is even more perplexing.

There was just an exuberant energy to those earlier films and scores that KOCS simply couldn't recapture.

55 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The underscore is woefully dull in KOCS, which is thoroughly unlike the underscore in the original 3. You could take any atmospheric, 'quiet' track from TOD and it would wipe the floor with the underscore in KOCS. That Williams saw fit to populate his OST with so many of those tracks is even more perplexing.

There was just an exuberant energy to those earlier films and scores that KOCS simply couldn't recapture.

I can't help but wonder if part of it was Williams feeling pressure, whether from without or within (most likely the former), to consciously imitate what came before, much like the film itself, and later the Star Wars sequels (cue hornist: 

)

I think the moments that came closest to matching the glory moments of the first three--such as the build and climax of Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold--were ones that were laced with some of stylistic fabric of the originals, but still deeply natural with Williams' current style at that time.

I am very fond of the theme suites on that disc but I do not believe it is the strongest scene-by-scene scoring of his career. I don't know if the full score would seem all that coherent after the incredible focus of his early 2000's work. It would feel like a nebulous Tintin.

I still maintain that , unlike Goldsmith, JW needs to be inspired by the film he is scoring.

Listening to E.T. , you can FEEL he poured his heart and soul into that one.

Same with WAR HORSE.

He is an ARTIST, after all😊

On 11/19/2020 at 8:26 PM, King Mark said:

I never understood the general hate towards this score. The OST is not a good representation of the music but there's a sessions leak.It's a bit like RotS where I was disappointed by the OST until  the unreleased music was available

One can certainly make an excellent album from the sessions, if you include more of the action material instead.

But.... this:

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

BTW, I never see it as a mystery why JW includes all the 'dull' stuff. It clearly isn't dull to him.

24 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

One can certainly make an excellent album from the sessions, if you include more of the action material instead.

But.... this:

BTW, I never see it as a mystery why JW includes all the 'dull' stuff. It clearly isn't dull to him.

He does it just to bother the c + c fetishists on this board. Lol.

I was just joking. Again. " lol"?

Geez. Lighten up already.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

No I've just been using the internet for almost 30 years and know a troll when I see one

You need to look up the definition of " troll".

It won't say " a person who good naturedly teases friends about a shared interest".

You have to make friends with the people here and endear yourself to them before you can start teasing them.  That's how life works.