John Williams hopes "to be in Berlin in October conducting the orchestra"

tmarps

Sarah Willis (BPO horn) talked about a potential Williams concert that didn't happen in an interview this year. So who know? I think they have tried to get him come to Berlin for a few years. As I'm from Germany, this would be great! However, not sure if Williams will travel so far away anymore and we don't know if the vaccine is effective for people of his age.

As someone who missed out on the Vienna concert, this would be great. But I highly doubt it's going to happen.

But hey -- Morricone travelled to LA when he was about the same age, and he was in worse shape than JW is now, so who knows?

It was bizarre to start up my engine this morning for my commute to hear John's immediately recognisable croaky tones coming out of the radio. He was speaking over the phone. 

In the same interview he also said he "believes" the vaccines will be effective and get us all moving again, including allowing him to get to Berlin next October. 

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think it will happen regardless of you going there. ;)

If John Williams conducts a concert, and no one is around to hear it, does it happen?

(It's World Philosophy Day today btw)

14 minutes ago, Biodome said:

If John Williams conducts a concert, and no one is around to hear it, does it happen?

(It's World Philosophy Day today btw)

And also International Men's Day, but that fits in more with the philosophy of the Vienna Phil.......

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, great. So...he can go to Europe (twice!), but he can't be arsed to come to London?!

Screw him!

It was about time he conducted a real orchestra ;)

1 minute ago, lemoncurd said:

I'm not a pessimistic person, not at all. But given COVID19 and his age, I'm just, uh, careful. But of course, living in Berlin myself the thought of going to a JW-concert by bike would be fabulous! :-)

Same for me. :)

Berliner Philharmoniker would be a great choice for John. So many legendary recordings have been made by them, and when they play romantics like Beethoven, they have no equals in the world. I'd be really curious to hear how John's music would sound on that orchestra.

I actually had plans to go to some random concert of theirs, just to hear them play live. I've heard that they do great New Year's Eve concerts, and since the tickets to Berlin are fairly affordable, I was considering the option to meet the coming New Year there. Of course, when the pandemic began, it all had to be postponed.

So they're already a great orchestra to have on the bucket list, even without John Williams. With the maestro conducting them, though, it would be a no brainer. Since John made it clear on the BBC that Berliner Philharmoniker is an orchestra he'd really want to conduct, I am fairly optimistic that we will see it happen pretty soon.

2 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Berliner Philharmoniker would be a great choice for John. So many legendary recordings have been made by them, and when they play romantics like Beethoven, they have no equals in the world. I'd be really curious to hear how John's music would sound on that orchestra.

I'd be curious to hear him conduct Beethoven!

I've gone to Berlin every year for the last 5-6 years, to attend the Nordic Film Music Days during the Berlinale. Of course, nobody knows what happens this year, and it's February, anyway, so no chance to combine the two. But I'll gladly take another Berlin trip in October if this comes to pass, and I manage to secure a ticket. Perhaps a 'round trip' with this, WSA, Hollywood in Vienna etc., like I've done in the past.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What a missed opportunity - the host should have asked about JW's reaction after seeing Schindler's List for the first time!

Should have also asked about what the inspiration behind Rey's theme was.