John Williams hopes "to be in Berlin in October conducting the orchestra"

tmarps

On 11/19/2020 at 10:02 AM, tmarps said:

In a BBC Radio 4 interview from this morning, John Williams mentions that he "[hopes] to be in Berlin in October conducting the orchestra". Is this the first we have heard of a potential concert with what sounds like the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra?? What do you make of this? Interview starts at 7:40am (1h40min in) but JW mentions Berlin at 7:44am, (1h44min in)? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ph3t 

If this is to be true and the vaccines are here to enable us to see concerts again, it is amazing to hear JW is still able and willing to work!! 

So can we expect the next Deutsche Grammophon release - why not a direct metal mastering by Emil Berliner Studios with only 4577 copies available world-wide to be released on John's 90th?

4 hours ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

I sent an email to the Berliner Philharmoniker asking for confirmation and they replied that everything concerning their next season 2020/21 will be announced on their yearly press conference, which will probably be next spring.

So I guess we'll have to wait until then to get any real confirmation from their side. :)

Maybe also ask Anne-Sophie Mutter to send some cookies for Christmas to be on the safe side ;-)

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

" Ich bin ein Berliner."

😉

East or West Berlin?

The Berliner Philharmonie is located in West Berlin.

But you might have missed that we have been united a few years ago.

So, it doesn't matter much.

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The Berliner Philharmonie is located in West Berlin.

But you might have missed that we have been united a few years ago.

So, it doesn't matter much.

" Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall!".

😆

The Berlin Philharmonic hall was built on the edge of West Berlin, close to the wall. It was kind of no man's land. You can see that wall (or to be more correct, the western part of the wall, since it wasn't just A wall but a whole site) at the top of the picture.

image.png

https://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/planen/staedtebau-projekte/kulturforum/de/einrichtungen/philharmonie/index.shtml

For me, seeing LSO & Williams is the lifelong dream, since both have meant so much to me in my musical life. They are my favourite orchestra and composer, respectively, and I would probably never have been interested in film music if it weren't for those "LSO Plays Classic Rock" albums back in the late 80s and early 90s, even way before I knew who Williams was, and his association with the orchestra.

I was SOOOO close back in 2018, but it was not to be.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

For me, seeing LSO & Williams is the lifelong dream, since both have meant so much to me in my musical life. They are my favourite orchestra and composer, respectively, and I would probably never have been interested in film music if it weren't for those "LSO Plays Classic Rock" albums back in the late 80s and early 90s, even way before I knew who Williams was, and his association with the orchestra.

I was SOOOO close back in 2018, but it was not to be.

Yeah Williams has a long tradition with the LSO, going back to 1977. I would also love to see the LSO in concert, with Williams music and the maestro conducting. Seeing him conduct the Wiener Philharmoniker was a dream come true. That experience can't be beaten by any other event

I'd like Williams to conduct the BPO's summer concert in the famous "Waldbühne". Capacity is 22.000, so enough for the "Williams family". I so hope he comes to Berlin and remains healthy to conduct again!

11 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

The Berlin Philharmonic hall was built on the edge of West Berlin, close to the wall. It was kind of no man's land. You can see that wall (or to be more correct, the western part of the wall, since it wasn't just A wall but a whole site) at the top of the picture.

image.png

https://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/planen/staedtebau-projekte/kulturforum/de/einrichtungen/philharmonie/index.shtml

There are some great documentaries about the architecture and construction of the Philharmonie on the Digital Concert Hall. Amazing how thouroughly it was planned, up to the point of even including openings for cameras - in 1960! Wish to visit someday and listen to the Philharmoniker in that beautiful acoustic space - imagine if it was with JW conducting...

6 hours ago, Steve said:

I'd like Williams to conduct the BPO's summer concert in the famous "Waldbühne". Capacity is 22.000, so enough for the "Williams family". I so hope he comes to Berlin and remains healthy to conduct again!

I much prefer a real concert hall with proper acoustics.

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Thats because Euros know their history.

Unlike Americans#😒

We had good teachers. Some of the most important works on German history of the past century, the Third Reich and the Holocaust came from american historians.

Just now, GerateWohl said:

We had good teachers. Some of the most important works on German history of the past century, the Third Reich and the Holocaust came from american historians.

I know.

Too bad we don't read them. 😞

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I much prefer a real concert hall with proper acoustics.

Of course. More people would be able to see him in the open air setting, though.

23 minutes ago, Steve said:

Of course. More people would be able to see him in the open air setting, though.

In October? Very unlikely, and dangerous for his health.

4 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

In October? Very unlikely, and dangerous for his health.

Yes I know. It won't happen. And as Marian said the sound in the concert hall is much better.

I would take any Williams concert in whatever setting though :D Just happy if he can conduct a concert again.

40 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ex-squeeze me? Baking powder?

Steve, he used members of the LSO for both JANE EYRE and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

Interesting.  

Oh wait, you weren't talking to me?

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Who did he use for Heidi?

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Much to learn I still have.

Thanks for the information!

7 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Who did he use for Heidi?

Just found this re HEIDI:

"Williams recorded his score in Germany with members of the Hamburg Opera."

If true, Berlin will not be his official Germany debut, and Vienna was not his continental European debut.

Just now, BB-8 said:

Just found this re HEIDI:

"Williams recorded his score in Germany with members of the Hamburg Opera."

If true, Berlin will not be his official Germany debut, and Vienna was not his continental European debut.

Yes, this was discussed before. But it was his concert debut. He also visited Vienna before.

I believe the maestro is in really good shape to make an appearence with the BPO. Take for example Bernard Haitink who is 90ish and can´t even conduct standing, still he managed to appear in the BBC Proms 2019, conduct his beloved Concertgeboworkest and also appear with the WPO and BPO.

Also, I would love that the BPO and John innovate on the program compared with the WPO concert, of course they have to repeat Star Wars, but maybe they can add Superman, AI (a dream for me) or maybe Tintin. Well, they can add a lot of music if they reduce ASM's involvement. 

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The big question is whether JW will say Ich bin ein Berliner.

Or whether he is bringing the Boston Pops to Berlin as a spin-off of the Leipzig-Boston connection?

There would be less flubs when using musicians from the BSO.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Stop stealing my material!😡

To be honest, I hope it stays "Wien, Wien, nur Du allein."

I don't think this "one-off debut" can be topped by any other European line-up - even if it were the Berliners.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:06 PM, Steve said:

Regarding "Waldbühne" & JW, how about this?

Konzert in der Waldbühne mit Martin Grubinger und Wayne Marshall | Berliner Philharmoniker (berliner-philharmoniker.de)

Martin Grubinger & Percussive Planet Ensemble - John-Williams-Special - YouTube

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

October is the month of the ceremony of prestigous German Opus Klassik Awards, awarded for the previous year.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/classical-news/opus-klassik-awards-2020/

Conspiracy!

I think you might be on to something here... Quite a few categories Williams would slot right into, from lifetime achievement to composer or conductor of the year.