John Williams hopes "to be in Berlin in October conducting the orchestra"

tmarps

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Jay said:

Is there a way to know what date or at least week this concert would be if it happens?

If we are talking about the Berliner Philharmoniker the concert season ends at 26th of June. I can find no information beyond that. You can look here: https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/concerts/calendar/from/2021-03/

It might be a different orchestra, but I don't think so.

38 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

If we are talking about the Berliner Philharmoniker the concert season ends at 26th of June. I can find no information beyond that. You can look here: https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/concerts/calendar/from/2021-03/

It might be a different orchestra, but I don't think so.

Perhaps he's finally gotten the chance to conduct the Berlin branch of the Kenosha Kickers polka band.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

There is no Octoberfest in Berlin. We are not Bavarians.

As I said, the whole Berlin thing is just a cover story. As soon as he's done with the orchestra, he'll secretly drive to München, where he will have the time of his life. The man has worked intensely for more than 60 years. It's just the right time to start using his own savings on the pinnacle of German culture, i.e. beer.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Is there a way to know what date or at least week this concert would be if it happens?

I guess it's really too early to know. I'm sure they've already planned a tentative day/days for a performance, but the worldwide situation is still so uncertain that I won't be surprised if this will not be officially announced at least before 3 or 4 months from now. I was surprised that JW announced it so soon, but I guess he felt confident. I hope they will immediately plan a 2022 date in case it needs to be pushed back.

2 hours ago, Biodome said:

As I said, the whole Berlin thing is just a cover story. As soon as he's done with the orchestra, he'll secretly drive to München, where he will have the time of his life.

In that case, he should do another Wiener Philharmoniker gig. It's closer to München than Berlin is.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

I guess it's really too early to know. I'm sure they've already planned a tentative day/days for a performance, but the worldwide situation is still so uncertain that I won't be surprised if this will not be officially announced at least before 3 or 4 months from now. I was surprised that JW announced it so soon, but I guess he felt confident. I hope they will immediately plan a 2022 date in case it needs to be pushed back.

In case it happens, another big question will be the international travel situation. I could well imagine that people from some countries would miss it simply because they're not allowed to travel, or because Germany won't let them in. As an Austrian, I'm reasonably worried about this, considering how fucked up our handling of the pandemic is.

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

There is no Octoberfest in Berlin. We are not Bavarians.

Ja, in Bavaria, wo die Berge aus dem Boden ragen!

45 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

In that case, he should do another Wiener Philharmoniker gig. It's closer to München than Berlin is.

Yeah, but then we'd have to suffer through another year of complaints about flubs from @Jurassic Shark

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

In case it happens, another big question will be the international travel situation. I could well imagine that people from some countries would miss it simply because they're not allowed to travel, or because Germany won't let them in. As an Austrian, I'm reasonably worried about this, considering how fucked up our handling of the pandemic is.

It seems every country has its own pretty fucked up situation in this regard, and that's why I think it's extremely unlikely this will happen next October. Hopefully the vaccine rollout will speed up in the coming months and the overall situation will be better in late spring/early summer, but international travel will still be quite complicated for a lot of people, not to mention large crowd indoor events.

I think, the only person that needs to travel to Berlin to make this happen, is John Williams himself. The orchestra lives here and we have a lot of audience around here.

We just need to get that bloody pandemic under control until then.

I think, we have a chance. 

Pretty good turnout for a filmmusik concerten. ;)

Screenshot_2021-01-02-23-36-35~10.pngEspecially during a pandemic#!

On 11/19/2020 at 1:32 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

He'll conduct via a pre-recorded video message.

From East or West Berlin?

13 hours ago, Biodome said:

Yeah, but then we'd have to suffer through another year of complaints about flubs from @Jurassic Shark

He won't dare.

Not if he values his life and " the life of his heirs"

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2021 at 10:31 PM, Biodome said:

He might want to be in Germany in time for the Oktoberfest

Re Oktoberfest 2021

It is scheduled to end on October 3rd - so not much time for Berlin concerts in October plus a ride to Munich for the Oktoberfest.

He may consider arriving and getting hammered in Munich first and then going to Berlin.

Vienna is not really on the way - and he's ticked that box anyway.

Dirk Brossé can take care of London and the LSO in the O2 Arena. ;-)

Oktoberfest – Wikipedia

2000 16. Sep. bis 3. Okt. Kleine Wiesn mit ZLFa; zwei Tage längerb (Dienstag) = 18 Tage 6,9 Mio.
2001 22. Sep. bis 7. Okt.   5,5 Mio.
2002 21. Sep. bis 6. Okt.   5,9 Mio.
2003 20. Sep. bis 5. Okt.   6,3 Mio.
2004 18. Sep. bis 3. Okt. Mit ZLFa 5,9 Mio.
2005 17. Sep. bis 3. Okt. Große Wiesn; einen Tag längerb (Montag) = 17 Tage 6,1 Mio.
2006 16. Sep. bis 3. Okt. Große Wiesn; zwei Tage längerb (Dienstag) = 18 Tage 6,5 Mio.
2007 22. Sep. bis 7. Okt.   6,2 Mio.
2008 20. Sep. bis 5. Okt. 175. Oktoberfest; mit ZLFa 6,0 Mio.
2009 19. Sep. bis 4. Okt.   5,7 Mio.
2010 18. Sep. bis 4. Okt. 200 Jahre Oktoberfest; zusätzlich drei Hektar Historische Wiesn; einen Tag längerc = 17 Tage 6,4 Mio.
2011 17. Sep. bis 3. Okt. erneut mit Oider Wiesn (vormals historische Wiesn); einen Tag längerb (Montag) = 17 Tage 6,9 Mio.
2012 22. Sep. bis 7. Okt. ohne Historische Wiesn, dafür mit ZLFa (125. ZLF) 6,4 Mio.
2013 21. Sep. bis 6. Okt. mit Oider Wiesn 6,4 Mio.
2014 20. Sep. bis 5. Okt. mit Oider Wiesn 6,3 Mio.
2015 19. Sep. bis 4. Okt. mit Oider Wiesn 5,9 Mio.
2016 17. Sep. bis 3. Okt. ohne Oider Wiesn, dafür mit ZLFa (126. ZLF); einen Tag längerb (Montag) = 17 Tage 5,6 Mio.
2017 16. Sep. bis 3. Okt. mit Oider Wiesn; zwei Tage längerb (Dienstag) = 18 Tage 6,2 Mio.
2018 22. Sep. bis 7. Okt. mit Oider Wiesn 6,3 Mio.
2019 21. Sep. bis 6. Okt. mit Oider Wiesn 6,3 Mio.
2020 kein Oktoberfest geplant von 19. Sep. bis 4. Okt ohne Oide Wiesn, dafür mit ZLFa, am 21. April abgesagt  
2021 18. Sep. bis 3. Okt. mit Oider Wiesn

Even though I'm confident that next autumn we'll finally have a grip on the virus in most countries, I fear that it will still be too early for a full reprisal of international travel and large-scale indoor events. If things will be favorable, there is hope some outdoor concerts may take place (but probablty with limited capacity, distanced seating etc), like the usual summer festivals, but again right now it's hard to make exact predictions.

It's much more likely we'll see JW resuming concert activities in 2022.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Yeah. A 90th celebration tour, like Morricone did. And Williams seems to be in much better health than Morricone was, knock on wood.

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Even though I'm confident that next autumn we'll finally have a grip on the virus in most countries, I fear that it will still be too early for a full reprisal of international travel and large-scale indoor events. If things will be favorable, there is hope some outdoor concerts may take place (but probablty with limited capacity, distanced seating etc), like the usual summer festivals, but again right now it's hard to make exact predictions.

If we have a grip on the virus by autumn, seated indoors concerts with mandatory vaccinations/COVID tests and possibly distanced seating might be possible as well (provided that vaccinations are available enough that people who want one can also get one in time, otherwise it'll be difficult to open stuff based on it). Whether that situation makes it financially feasible to do expensive productions is another matter.

But I think large scale outdoors concerts (pop/rock concerts and festival) is the type of event that will have to wait the longest.

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I could imagine thinking about revisiting Boston for that occasion.

Absolutely. We're still through a very uncertain moment, in the sense that it's hard to make predictions and hence plan activities. I'm optimistic that the situation will be better by the end of this year, but live music will have to wait until 2022 to resume at full capacity in any context. I just read that the Boston Pops season this year will be only streaming events with no audience :(

Let's hope for 2022 to see JW on the podium again.