Best JW march? (Minus Imperial)

mxsch

46 minutes ago, mxsch said:

Title says it all.

My favorite might be Men of Yorktown March and it isn't really a march so title doesn't say it all...what are you considering a march?  Some define march as a stately procession as used here in the Men of Yorktown March.  Others would define it as a strictly walked military manner with a regular measured tread in the count of 2.  There are other definitions as well with stylistic differences. 

3 hours ago, karelm said:

My favorite might be Men of Yorktown March and it isn't really a march so title doesn't say it all...what are you considering a march?  Some define march as a stately procession as used here in the Men of Yorktown March.  Others would define it as a strictly walked military manner with a regular measured tread in the count of 2.  There are other definitions as well with stylistic differences. 

It is an excellent piece.  I love Williams's recent reworking of older pieces.  This is by far my favorite Williams's reworking.  Stately, noble, exciting--what is not to like?  

As to the question, and not a bold choice, Superman.  

9 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Not a march.

A march is a medium -fast piece in a steady 2/4 time.

End of lesson😊

Actually a march could also be in 4/4, 6/8 or 12/8

😃🎺🎶

Forgot to add smiley emoji, so it doesn’t sound arrogant, which it wasn’t intended to.

1941 is what immediately popped into my mind. I love the Raiders March and prefer the Indy scores overall, but in terms of pure...marchiness, the one from 1941 is so fun and so clever that it might just take the cake for me. It's also easier to think of it as a march because it's treated as a march so often in the score, whereas the Raiders March is rarely arranged in a marchlike fashion outside the end credits and its various derivatives.

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Not a march.

A march is a medium -fast piece in a steady 2/4 time.

End of lesson😊

The Raiders March is in 4/4. The main title from Star Wars, often called a march, is also in 4/4. As is the Imperial March. As is this:

Wikipedia says (emphasis in red & bold mine):

Marches can be written in any time signature, but the most common time signatures are 4/4, 2/2 (alla breve cut time, although this may refer to 2 time of Johannes Brahms, or cut time), or 6/8. However, some modern marches are being written in 1/2 or 2/4 time. 

I loved Williams' marches as a youngster, but these days, that's not my main attraction to his music. I guess it's impossible to get around the brilliance of RAIDERS and SUPERMAN, even though they've both been played to death over the years.

One that hasn't been mentioned, but which I quite like, is his NFL march:

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I loved Williams' marches as a youngster, but these days, that's not my main attraction to his music. I guess it's impossible to get around the brilliance of RAIDERS and SUPERMAN, even though they've both been played to death over the years.

One that hasn't been mentioned, but which I quite like, is his NFL march:

There's no official album recording of that one, right?

Would it be too controversial to request a list of Marches for us to choose from? I suspect so. Nonetheless, I find myself reading the above posts and agreeing with some, only to find (for example) Parade of the Ewoks being mentioned and then thinking 'oh yes, there's that too'.

So, on the basis of what I can remember (and as someone who has not only been trained to march but done so many times in front of large crowds), I'd say:

• Raiders
  • Superman

In that order, but with Parade of the Ewoks and others like the 1984 Olympics theme (or at least the last minute or two of it) bubbling under.

Now all I need is for someone to mention another one I've forgotten for me to go 'oh yes, there's that too' again.

Mark

Nobody mentioned the Star Wars main theme. Even though it might not be my personal favourite, it is for sure one of the greatest marches Williams has eher written. 

If you would Limit the Initial question to Star Wars marches I think, the list could be

•  Star Wars Main Theme
  • The Little People Work
  • Throne Room (without Finale)
  • Imperial March (excluded from voting)
  • Bespin March
  • Parade of the Ewoks
  • The Flag Parade
  • Arena March
  • Kashyyyk Battle March
  • March of the Resistance

Did I forget something?

5 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Thank you but this video is not available in my country. 

But I think, I know. It is the one accompanying Anakin at marching to the Jedi temple in ep.3 to Kill the Jedi, right?

12 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Thank you but this video is not available in my country. 

But I think, I know. It is the one accompanying Anakin at marching to the Jedi temple in ep.3 to Kill the Jedi, right?

Yes.

It wasn't originally used in Ep2 and was used for that scene in Ep3.

I mean, if you like you can play everything as a march. 

There is this band from Finland, Eläkeläiset, that play cover versions of popular songs as polka. They turn any song into a polka. Just like you can turn anything into a march.