A.I. Artificial Intelligence Reputation

Remco

It has excellent Special Visual Effects by Industrial Light & Magic and an oddly watchable quality despite possibly being a huge disaster. Plus, Joey hates it, so that's a plus.

Would have been great if they went to frozen NYC and they found Jason in an iceblock instead and revived him before he rampages through the future mecha world and murders all those weirdo skinny aliens.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

This visual parallel is one of the most disturbing images I've seen Spielberg conjure. vlcsnap-2020-09-15-21h26m13s088.png

It's frankly more shocking than any of the visceral violence in SPR/Munich, when you realise the symbolism it represents.

"Disturbing"? "Shocking"? Why?

8 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Hyperbole has entered the chat

Does anyone else cringe everytime someone types "criminally underrated"? What a loathsome expression... I think I've seen it at least 3 times just in the past 24 hours. 

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Absolutely, it's a film that gets better with age. I notice new details every time I watch it.

This visual parallel is one of the most disturbing images I've seen Spielberg conjure. vlcsnap-2020-09-15-21h26m13s088.png

It's frankly more shocking than any of the visceral violence in SPR/Munich, when you realise the symbolism it represents.

It's a perfect example of why Spielberg is so revered as a visual storyteller (which pairs so effortlessly with Williams' musical storytelling).

I feel sorry for the people who write off this masterpiece, and its plethora of rich ideas. It's refreshing to have a film which doesn't hit you over the head with its message, but rather lets the viewer stew in the visuals and reach their own conclusions.

Whereas for me it doesn't quite qualify as an actual masterpiece, I agree with everything you said. It is astonishing how much Kubrick can be found in this movie.

There's always at least one nut that really exaggerates the merit of these things. On this forum, you have many. At least the things I enjoy are genuinely great, for the most part.

A.I. is not a masterpiece. As much as I enjoy chunks of it in a weird sort of way, it still has Chris Rock as a robot at a metal band concert (Metal, get it? Metal, robots? What a brilliant masterpiece!) and pretty bad line readings from the main actress.

The movie also goes off the rails by the final acts, at which point the Intellectuals arrive to point out that exactly where you lose interest, the Film becomes "Great", and you simply don't understand it. But if the snobs are looking to proclaim anything great, you'd figure they'd at least find something better than A.I. 

It certainly didn't get better over time for me.  My biggest problem is that the movie (or the story) has a telegraphed flow. Scenes are stitched together with any binding material. This is especially true for the second and third act. 

I like the movie and score.  I think it is quite interesting score structurally.  If you take the 1980's scores, often they'll go from child like innocence to wonder and adventure (E.T. for example) or fear to wonder (CEOTK).    This one goes sort of opposite.  Childhood wonder to fear, longing, and isolation.   Not including the final scene where mom returns which certainly isn't the great apotheosis endings of the earlier scores but rather a tender coda that after all this time, struggle, and effort, David was granted one more day with his mom even though that meant she would never have the possibility to return.  It's a bittersweet ending and not that happy.  He could live forever as a mech but she is gone forever because of that one day and he felt it was worth it to get that childhood nurture and love from mom.  A movie I hate with a great score is hook.  I just can't watch it for some reason but there are parallels to A.I.  Pan being a boy who would never grow up but in Hook did grow up and tries to find his youth.  A.I. is a Pinocchio movie where the wooden boy dreams to be a real boy even by help from the blue fairy who granted pinocchio life (and of course Robin Williams in both).  In CEOTK, Roy loves Pinocchio which his adolescent kids aren't in to.  This is recapturing a nostalgia and wonder in the mundane life of Roy that his kids don't seem to care for.  By the end of the film, "When you wish upon a star" becomes a significant musical allegory to the youthful spirit of wonder and curiosity. 

6 hours ago, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

Does anyone else cringe everytime someone types "criminally underrated"? What a loathsome expression... I think I've seen it at least 3 times just in the past 24 hours. 

Worse is " criminally overlooked" when an actor isn't nominated for an OSCAR etc

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

There's always at least one nut that really exaggerates the merit of these things. On this forum, you have many. At least the things I enjoy are genuinely great, for the most part.

A.I. is not a masterpiece. As much as I enjoy chunks of it in a weird sort of way, it still has Chris Rock as a robot at a metal band concert (Metal, get it? Metal, robots? What a brilliant masterpiece!) and pretty bad line readings from the main actress.

The movie also goes off the rails by the final acts, at which point the Intellectuals arrive to point out that exactly where you lose interest, the Film becomes "Great", and you simply don't understand it. But if the snobs are looking to proclaim anything great, you'd figure they'd at least find something better than A.I. 

I predict BFG will be proclaimed a " misunderstood masterpiece" on its tenth anniversary.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Not at all. I totally agree with crumbs. I consider the film the best since the millennium turnover, and the score one of the very, very best as well. Extrapolating on 'why' requires a whole article.

You should check out the expanded score release - it's so much better than the OST, both with respect to content and sound quality!

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You should check out the expanded score release - it's so much better than the OST, both with respect to content and sound quality!

I have. It almost managed to ruin my appreciation of the score. Thankfully, I deleted it in time.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

What do you mean? It's in "Rouge City".

No it isn't, Williams bafflingly removed the Strauss reference from the OST track Rouge City, in favour of repeating material from The Mecha World.

It only became available once the 2001 Academy promo leaked, then later on the LLL.

A glorious rendition worth posting, in any event. :)

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

No it isn't, Williams bafflingly removed the Strauss reference from the OST track Rouge City, in favour of repeating material from The Mecha World.

You're right. Don't know why I thought it was.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Not at all. I totally agree with crumbs. I consider the film the best since the millennium turnover, and the score one of the very, very best as well. Extrapolating on 'why' requires a whole article.

Thanks a lot Thor, nice to see more serious replies after all. If you ever have the time to go on about ‘why’ I’m very curious to hear (or even if you’ve written something in Norwegian before).

I noticed that John Mauceri considers it JW’s greatest ‘modern’ score and I’ve read multiple music critics praising the score even when they admitted that they were not a fan of Williams and his usual blockbuster scores. That’s what I mainly find fascinating and I wonder how this general consensus came to be.

I think, A.I. and the score have exactly the reputation they deserve.  

It was by the way the first Spielberg/Williams movie where I felt during watching it that there is too much music in the film.

And the soundtrack album would have been much better without that terrible song. 

Apart from that wonderful soundtrack. 

Later on at Memoirs of a Geisha "Chairman's Waltz" reminded me a little bit too much of "Abandoned in the Woods".

Thank you so much @Linae. 

This is precisely what I meant. I can’t agree with his general opinion on JW but his insights on A.I. and CMIYC are very interesting, coming from the perspective of a classical critic.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:27 AM, Thor said:

I have. It almost managed to ruin my appreciation of the score. Thankfully, I deleted it in time.

Thankfully it didn't ruin the score for me, but it is a frustratingly hard slog, especially on Disc 1, which Williams wisely ameliorated in his album arrangement, sound quality issues not withstanding. The LLL does correct those sound issues I guess.

On 11/23/2020 at 12:54 PM, Remco said:

Thank you so much @Linae. 

This is precisely what I meant. I can’t agree with his general opinion on JW but his insights on A.I. and CMIYC are very interesting, coming from the perspective of a classical critic.

Agree or not, it's an informed opinion.

Unlike the typical Jwfan critique:

" Its shite"

On 11/23/2020 at 5:27 AM, Thor said:

You should try my sixty three minute version.https://www.jwfan.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2020_10/1602460694160.jpg.caea1d789405249adfca91cea6371d1e.jpg

Reading through this thread earlier I gave AI another spin today and I must admit that it's one of those scores I want to enjoy more than I actually do. I appreciate it, but a lot of the first half can be quite slow going, genuinely haunting though it is. While I like having the expanded score, I think there's probably a happy medium between the length of the original album and the full 2 hours.

1 hour ago, Bryant Burnette said:

You are the absolute worst.

It delights me to no end that my personal reaction means so much to you, you have to resort to personal attacks.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

.... While I like having the expanded score, I think there's probably a happy medium between the length of the original album and the full 2 hours.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2020_10/1602460694160.jpg.caea1d789405249adfca91cea6371d1e.jpg

2 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

You are the absolute worst.

You should read the A.I. Appreciation Thread!😅😅😅😅😅

22 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Agree or not, it's an informed opinion.

Unlike the typical Jwfan critique:

" Its shite"

You should try my sixty three minute version.https://www.jwfan.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2020_10/1602460694160.jpg.caea1d789405249adfca91cea6371d1e.jpg

If I'm not mistaken , four or five cues on my program were NOT on the ost.

That means four of the BEST cues were left off.

Am I right?

EDIT: It appears as many as six tracks left off the ost are included in my custom program ( and the LLL set)1602460694160.jpg