Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)

Jay

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I think Giacchino's gonna have fun with this

That is an understatement. This is going to be a blast!

The movie will be fun, hopefully the score will stay out of thr way.

Given how much of a musical junction this film has the potential to be, I really can't think of anyone else I would rather have at the helm of this film's score than Giacchino. You can say what you will about the guy, but he definitely seems to have a respect for musical continuity and throwback that goes largely unrivaled in the industry, and I really hope he capitalizes on the opportunity before him. 

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

What are the odds of they releasing another poster, but with Andrew and Tobey on the cover?

Maybe I'll end up wrong but I'm not expecting them to have roles large enough to warrant that.  It would be kind of lame if Holland wasn't the clear lead of his own film.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Still, when they (probably) appear on the trailer tomorrow, the internet will go crazy.

They won't appear in the trailer. But keep an eye out for a few villains

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Maybe I'll end up wrong but I'm not expecting them to have roles large enough to warrant that.  It would be kind of lame if Holland wasn't the clear lead of his own film.

The idea of Tobey and Garfield as co-leads is far more interesting to me than yet another Tom Holland Spider-Man film

I'd flat out just prefer a Spider-Man 4 than another Iron Boy Jr. film, but if they give Tobey and/or Andrew somewhat of a nice sendoff, I'll be happy. Though since it's MCU, they'll probably just be made a joke of (or their villains will), or just suck up to Mr. Iron Boy. 

This looks to be a very fun and wild ride, with a hint of dread to it. Perhaps a major character may not get out of this alive? I look forward to seeing this opening night and opening weekend. Plus, I do believe Michael Giacchino will have great fun with the score.

For some reason, it is now fashionable to bring actors from previous, unconnected iterations of the character to the more recent movies (as in The Flas with Batman), and because people have a nostalgic attachment to those previous iterarions, somewhow it seems like a good idea. Honestly, it feels very cheap, creatively speaking, and there's no way the actual scenes of the three Spiderman actors together lives up to how cool the idea might seem.

It's like the starting point was to have the actors all together in this and then work out a story to somehow justify it. I apologize for being so bitter, but this is lame. It's just reinforcing two of the most pervasive tendencies in blockbuster filmaking these days: superheros and nostalgia catering.

9 hours ago, Romão said:

It's like the starting point was to have the actors all together in this and then work out a story to somehow justify it. I apologize for being so bitter, but this is lame. It's just reinforcing two of the most pervasive tendencies in blockbuster filmaking these days: superheros and nostalgia catering.

Honestly, I agree with that sentiment. I'll admit the only reason I'm hoping for Tobey and Andrew to show up is because I want to see some resolution to their storylines, not because I think it will make the film itself better (because it mostly looks cringe aside from a few cool lines from Otto and Norman). Even then it wouldn't surprise me if this movie did nothing with those 2 Spider-Men and is just to set up Doctor Strange 2, since I could see Sam Raimi wanting an excuse to do more with Tobey's Spider-Man. 

So since this is the thread for the score, let's see what old villain themes Giacchino could reference

1. Elfman's Green Goblin
  2. Elfman's Doc Ock
  3. Young's Sandman
  4. Horner's Lizard
  5. Zimmer's Electro

That's all we've seen so far right?

No sign of Franco's Harry/Goblin, Topher's Venom, Chris Cooper's Norman, Dane DeHaan's Harry, or Tom Hardy's Venom right?

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

No sign of Franco's Harry/Goblin, Topher's Venom, Chris Cooper's Norman, Dane DeHaan's Harry, or Tom Hardy's Venom right?

22 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Will Rhino be in this?

People probably don't want to come into this thread about this score and read open spoilers about the movie that isn't out yet

But they are speculations not spoilers 

People who want to be spoiler free should not be in any threads about a movie they DON'T want spoiled. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

People probably don't want to come into this thread about this score and read open spoilers about the movie that isn't out yet

You say that, but yet.. 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

So since this is the thread for the score, let's see what old villain themes Giacchino could reference

1. Elfman's Green Goblin
  2. Elfman's Doc Ock
  3. Young's Sandman
  4. Horner's Lizard
  5. Zimmer's Electro

That's all we've seen so far right?

... You personally endorse spoilers, five hours earlier. 

:lurk:

In the never ending argument of “is it a spoiler,” I tend to lean on “was it revealed in the official promotion?”  In which case, as of today, Goblin, Octopus, Electro, Sandman, and Lizard are not spoilers but other characters who have appeared in leaked photos or set reports would be.

1 hour ago, Positivatee said:

You say that, but yet.. 

... You personally endorse spoilers, five hours earlier. 

:lurk:

Huh? What are you talking about? I mentioned the characters we saw in the trailer. That's completely different than coming in and confirming other people who will be in the film, and at what timestamp they'll show up. 

Not really understanding what you are trying to say here... 

I feel like there has yet to be a score for one of these huge ensemble franchise-spanning films that has really capitalized on drawing from all the previous existing themes other composers have written and having them all play off one another in an organic and cohesive way. The argument as to whether or not such an approach is really even necessary is certainly not without merits, as to create a score in such a manner runs the risk of the score itself not having a proper identity of its own. I also realize that it's partially dependent on the film itself, and whether it creates openings for themes to even be reprised. As far as the MCU is concerned, really the effort that comes closest would be Endgame, and while the effort is at least admirable, all the character themes that do return are mostly reduced to single-use cameo appearances and are heard through tracked in cues from their respective films.

With this film, Giacchino really has a golden opportunity to do something that somehow really hasn't been done quite on this scale before: a film score brimming with character themes from numerous other composers that all co-exist and play off one another in an overarching soundscape. I'd be lying if I said I hope he doesn't go all out and just brings everything back, in a way that's hopefully tasteful, respectful, and fresh. There is so much potential to have a truly fun score with this film, and thankfully the composer in charge of making it happen has both a pretty decent track record with adapting themes from other composers and seems to have a small enough of an ego to not have a problem with doing so. Indeed, if Giacchino does commit with a score brimming with so many returning themes, a better point of discussion and speculation may be what new music he can even write for this film, and not what old music he can bring back.

Yea it'd be interesting if he plays stuff off each other. But I could see old themes just showing up as each villain is introduced but then not recurring. We'll see! 

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh? What are you talking about? I mentioned the characters we saw in the trailer. That's completely different than coming in and confirming other people who will be in the film, and at what timestamp they'll show up. 

Not really understanding what you are trying to say here... 

Some people might argue that they don't want to see the trailer before watching the movie. Maybe blind people have the luxury of choice. But once it's spelled out which villains from the previous franchises are returning, it could be argued it's giving out spoilers. And this is not flagged as a spoiler thread. Even though it's not been confirmed that the previous actors are also returning. 

But never mind, by all means, keep on being right. 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea it'd be interesting if he plays stuff off each other. But I could see old themes just showing up as each villain is introduced but then not recurring. We'll see! 

That alone would be already better thematic continuity than 90% of what other films of this nature provide, so I still can't say I'd be disappointed if that's how it ends up going down.

It's a pretty universal standard that anything shown on posters or seen in trailers can be talked about openly, but stuff from leaks (such as confirming that actors who are not shown on posters or in trailers yet will in fact be in it, and at what point in the movie they appear) should be spoiler blocked. I don't really get what you're trying to accomplish here Wojo

I didn't confirm. I merely stated what I had been reading. Thus the quotes. According to the actors, that is completely false speculation. I honestly wasn't trying to spoil anything. I figured by this point we all knew they were speculated to return (we had been talking about the themes for a while) so I felt the quotes were a great way of saying that it was just part of that sea of Marvel rumors we are all floating in.

Perhaps Giacchino will write a new theme that specifically encompasses the villains, and also one for the Doctor Strange mcguffin cube plot device.

In one way I'm kind of hoping he doesn't reference the older themes too heavily without first hearing what he might come up with.

7 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I feel like there has yet to be a score for one of these huge ensemble franchise-spanning films that has really capitalized on drawing from all the previous existing themes other composers have written and having them all play off one another in an organic and cohesive way. The argument as to whether or not such an approach is really even necessary is certainly not without merits, as to create a score in such a manner runs the risk of the score itself not having a proper identity of its own. I also realize that it's partially dependent on the film itself, and whether it creates openings for themes to even be reprised. As far as the MCU is concerned, really the effort that comes closest would be Endgame, and while the effort is at least admirable, all the character themes that do return are mostly reduced to single-use cameo appearances and are heard through tracked in cues from their respective films.

What If...? did an amazing job with adapting previous themes.

20 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Perhaps Giacchino will write a new theme that specifically encompasses the villains, and also one for the Doctor Strange mcguffin cube plot device.

In one way I'm kind of hoping he doesn't reference the older themes too heavily without first hearing what he might come up with.

He wil definitely use his Spider-Man theme, Peter & MJ theme & Doctor Strange theme.

I think he will compose a new theme for 

Spoiler

the spider-man as a group

and maybe the villains as a group. And a Multiverse theme.

Lost is a proof that Giacchino is a master in leit motif writing, themes developing and etc.. Star TrekSpeed RacerMission ImpossibleJurassic World, Rogue One all prove that he can integrate themes from other composers well. (The only counter example is creating a new theme for Iron Man in Spider-Man Homecoming - and a very bad one at that). His quick mention of his Medal of Honor Underground theme in Ratatouille, or the Ratatouille rats’ theme in American Pickle, or the way that he evolves the Death Star motif into the imperial March in RO makes me believe that he is the man to provide a cohesive multiverse score.

Man I somehow hadn't thought about how Giacchino will be able to return to his own Dr Strange material in this score. And then Elfman may or may not use it in Dr Strange 2 in March! 

30 minutes ago, Romão said:

I am honestly baffled that people keep bringing up Rogue One as a good example of Giacchino's ability to properly integrate themes by other composers...

IMO Rogue One has great usage of previous JW themes, and also bad ones. Yes, the Force theme sounds awkward in some places, but I think the imperial themes sounds great, and the blink and you'll miss quote of Leia's theme is fantastic. The spotting of the themes usage were fantastic, even if they execution sometimes wasn't.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Man I somehow hadn't thought about how Giacchino will be able to return to his own Dr Strange material in this score. And then Elfman may or may not use it in Dr Strange 2 in March! 

Yes! It is a great theme, so yay!

PS: Taking the opportunity to promote this great (perhaps the best) iteration of the Dr Strange theme that went unreleased