Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)

Jay

31 minutes ago, liamdude5 said:

How is nobody pointing out that the track

Spoiler

May's Death

is literally just a stock track composed by Kevin MacLeod? Kinda shoots this leak's validity in the foot for me.

That can't be real, it's not a pun.

As soon as the titles are added to Shazam we'll be able to find them all, how how we learned the titles of one of the SW sequel scores I think it was

he "A-ha Music" extension for Chrome identifies track 23 as "Arachnoverture" for me as well, and "Track #" for all the rest, yep.

Shazam doesn't recognize anything at all

Given at least the FFH suite was released first as a single before the OST came out, I'm not surprised if that's something Sony is also planning with NWH (hence it being the only title we have so far).

Where it ends with a defined hit, instead of kinda fading out. Sometimes on TV scores there will be two takes of an ending with one being a "soft" ending, and another being a button ending, for example Star Trek TOS.

Sorry for causing confusion again, I forget not everybody finds this stuff interesting, or remembers/thinks/knows about it.

To me the ending of track 22 doesn't sound like it was recorded that way, it sounds like a clunky edit made after the fact

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

To me the ending of track 22 doesn't sound like it was recorded that way, it sounds like a clunky edit made after the fact

Right, I was just providing a potential reason for the edit: wanting a more definitive sounding ending.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, it definitive gives the track an abrupt ending - I was merely pointing out that it sounds BAD!

The final chord sounds like it was tracked in from another score, recorded in another location, entirely

3 hours ago, liamdude5 said:

How is nobody pointing out that the track May's Death is literally just a stock track composed by Kevin MacLeod? Kinda shoots this leak's validity in the foot for me.

Lol. If that's true, care to tell us which Kevin MacLeod track it is?

Does anybody want to talk about the NEW THEMES in this score?

On 06/12/2021 at 4:22 PM, Jay said:

What do people think of the three NEW THEMES?

Ominous Theme

• Track 12 1:35-2:20 / 3:54-4:21
  • Track 23 2:16-4:20

Sad Theme

• Track 13 0:00-end
  • Track 14 0:00-1:00
  • Track 21 2:58-5:29
  • Track 23 4:20-5:58

Mysterious Theme

• Track 15 0:20-1:25
  • Track 20 2:58-3:36

I think the Sad Theme is not that great, and takes up way too much OST space (9 of its 74 minutes, and all variants are pretty similar to each other!)

The Ominous Theme is cool, could this be a new theme for Electro?  Or Lizard? Or Sandman?  I dunno.  I wish I could tell what words the choir was singing in track 12.  I hope this theme appears in more film cues that just the one on the OST - he did include it in the suite, so hopefully that's the case...

I like The Mysterious Theme a lot, although I keep wanting it to resolve into something more exciting - it's kind of interesting that both OST instances resolve into the main theme instead.... and that Giacchino didn't include this theme in the suite...

Overall, the suite is too heavy on the main theme, even if a lot of is the new choir-backed version, but still...

Yea the suite is not that great

The version of the main theme backed by epic choir is also in tracks 16, 21, and 22, and sounds better in those tracks than in the end suite

Came across this on YouTube, which I initially thought was a suite or something from this score, but according to the description is an original composition using all the spidey themes thus far.

I think it's pretty amazing :) 

On 06/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, superultramegaa said:

Not necessarily. Every quote of the Doc Ock theme in the OST only has the first 4 notes and never expands into the full melody as far as I remember. 

Sad about both

The Aha Music extension now identifies track 13 as "Exit Through The Lobby", but nothing else yet

EDIT: Ah, that's because it's being release as a single on Friday, so is already up on IE iTunes NZ

Interestingly, the cover art there, is the one that came with the leak, which I assumed was fan-made due to the shabby font work!

1400x1400bb.webp

01 Exit Through The Lobby (4:15)

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/exit-through-the-lobby-single/1598937161

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Does anybody want to talk about the NEW THEMES in this score?

Sure, I'm game.

So about the Sad Theme, one thing about it is that in the suite, it gets combined in counterpoint with the main theme at 6:26, kind of like Williams' Rey's theme + Force theme combination in the end credits of TFA. Okay, so Giacchino does change the notes of the main theme after its first motif, but what the hey, I still like it.

What I found really striking was the Mysterious Theme - it has exactly the same harmony as the main theme all the way through. You could play the main theme over the chords of the Mysterious Theme and get the same thing. As Jay points out as well, the Mysterious Theme leads into the main theme each time. I would add that this happens yet a third time in the suite starting with the Mysterious Theme at 7:01 then the main theme at 7:19. So the two themes are inextricably intertwined. I don't know anything about the plot of the film, but maybe the Mysterious Theme has something to do with Spidey's identity, that he's questioning who he is, who Spider-Man is, or maybe there's another Spidey? Who knows. But the two themes here are definitely connected to the point where they are in one respect the same. Eager to find out what it means.

Holy cow, you're right!  I can't believe I didn't notice that the Mysterious Theme is in the suite, too!  Nice catch!  How did I miss that!?

Perhaps this is a theme relating to Peter dealing with the repercussion of Strange's spell?

Or maybe a new theme for MJ, since her Far From Home theme disappears after track 4?  Maybe after the spell, she forgets him, too, and this is a theme about him being sad she doesn't like him any more?

I still can't tell what words the choir is singing when they sing the Ominous Theme in track 12.  "Pick Up the Flame!" is about the only thing I can make out, which probably isn't even right

EDIT: I just noticed that the 4 notes at 0:05 of track 12, which other people have said is Doc Ock's theme, sound remarkably similar to the 4-note choir climax of the Ominous Theme....

EDIT 2: I think the Mysterious Theme is also in track 18 at 2:01, briefly

OK here's my updated list of timestamps for the NEW THEMES

Ominous Theme (theme for the villains as a whole?)

1. Track 7 0:00-0:35 ??? {could be Doc Ock theme} / 0:40-1:02

2. Track 9 0:00-end

3. Track 12 0:05-0:11 ??? {could be Doc Ock theme} / 0:56-1:23 / 1:32-2:18 / 3:54-4:21

4. Track 16 1:18-end

5. Track 18 0:53-0:58

6. Track 19 4:33-4:43

7. Track 20 1:00-1:42

8. Track 23 2:16-4:20

Sad Theme (death / loss theme?)

1. Track 13 0:00-end

2. Track 14 0:00-1:00

3. Track 21 2:58-5:29

4. Track 23 4:22-5:58

Mysterious Theme (theme for the consequences of the spell?)

1. Track 15 0:20-1:25

2. Track 18 2:01-2:04

3. Track 19 3:42-3:50

4. Track 20 2:58-3:36

5. Track 23 7:01-7:20

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The Aha Music extension now identifies track 13 as "Exit Through The Lobby", but nothing else yet

I wonder if that's how it'd be titled on the final album too. It is ominously pun-free.

That choice of music is quite a strange for a "Single" preview album too. It is nice and all, but can that sort of music make people excited about the film? This is what that music is supposed to do at this point, right?

It'll definitely have the same title on the final album

I agree, a completely bizarre track to attempt to build up excitement a week ahead of the film / album.  Why not track 10 instead?

Huh.  it looks like different platforms may be getting different singles?

Spotify has Arachnoverture as a single now!

https://open.spotify.com/album/2Sw0jSMpec5qaKAYorVFND?si=eNYFIbEmRoeRcO4SSrQraA

That one's already available here in the US too, while the Apple stuff is going country by country as they become Friday

EDIT: Arachnoverture is on youtube as well

℗ 2021 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc., under exclusive license to Sony Music Entertainment. All Rights Reserved.

Released on: 2021-12-09

Executive  Producer: Amy Pascal
Mixing  Engineer: Warren Brown
Mastering  Engineer: Patricia Sullivan

Dry mixing is back. :( :( :( Far From Home was such a massive mixing improvement over Homecoming. Was this score a lockdown stay-at-home recording? That's the only reason I will give some slack for dry mixing.

I'm sad how...bland...Giacchino's themes have been lately.

Huh. 

"Arachnoverture" has been removed from both Spotify and youtube, and "Exit Through The Lobby" has been removed from iTunes.

Why?

yea of course

Someone at Disney probably didn't sign off on what Sony Music was up to and pulled the plug or something

I just realized track 9 is a slow iteration of to the Ominous Theme after all

So, this is the theme that appears the most on the OST album, by far (see above updated list)

13 hours ago, Drew said:

Dry mixing is back. :( :( :( Far From Home was such a massive mixing improvement over Homecoming. Was this score a lockdown stay-at-home recording? That's the only reason I will give some slack for dry mixing.

I totally agree.  The album doesn't sound as good as recent Giacchino scores.  Like, the chorus is clearly singing actual words in track 10 and track 12, and not just syllables that sound good, but I can't tell for the life of me what actual words they are singing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 hours ago, Drew said:

I think the ominous theme and mysterious theme are both pretty good, but the sad theme is a total dud.  I just skip track 21 entirely now when I listen to the OST

On 09/12/2021 at 9:14 PM, Drew said:

It probably wasn't.

If it was, they did a better job mixing it than they did on Desplat's Midnight Sky (where it was blatantly obvious each section was recorded separately).

I think given some of the pictures and posts (or lack thereof) Gia has on his social about the film, as well as the fact the production couldn't have properly started until the pandemic was in its early days (given the supposed renegotiation Marvel and Sony had to do to make the film), I find it incredibly difficult to believe NWH would've been recorded as normal.

JW3 and The Batman seem far more likely to have been done traditionally, given we have actual pictures and videos of an orchestra playing both scores.

8 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I think given some of the pictures and posts (or lack thereof) Gia has on his social about the film, as well as the fact the production couldn't have properly started until the pandemic was in its early days (given the supposed renegotiation Marvel and Sony had to do to make the film), I find it incredibly difficult to believe NWH would've been recorded as normal.

JW3 and The Batman seem far more likely to have been done traditionally, given we have actual pictures and videos of an orchestra playing both scores.

NWH started filming last year and wrapped this spring. With vaccines being available, in addition to pandemic protocols and such -- I think smaller ensembles were allowed to perform together. 

I'm sure at least some striping was done, but if it was extensively done, it's well concealed.

This album doesn't sound like a striped recording to me, it just doesn't sound spectacular. But this is a problem with a huge swath of Giacchino's recordings. 

I had hoped it was behind us when Wallin retired and he started using Iwataki, but I guess not

Press screening cancelled today, and movie moved untill 2022 over here, due to new, strict covid restrictions.

Not that it matters much to me. Superhero stuff doesn't ignite me. But I had a passing interest in this particular one, because it allegedly has multiverses with the previous Spider-man actors involved (plus, I kinda like the previous two movies in this particular iteration). That kind of "tying things together that weren't supposed to belong together" always interested me.

You're gonna have a real fun time avoiding talk of this movie given it's still on track to release tomorrow in some places.

Hopefully tracklist comes up in the next couple of days.