Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)

Jay

Yep. The scene was relegated to a quick excerpt on a cell phone during that montage, you're right.

Here's a relevant interview clip where Tom Holland talks about the scene. SPOILERS I guess?

Spoiler

I didn't quite remember everything, but Tom's brother Harry plays a young burglar that Spidey has to catch. So, I assume this was a little mini action scene, Spidey gets slimed during it and it ends up with Spidey catching the burglar, who's hanging upside down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it bit odd Danny Elfman and James Horner are not mentioned or credited anywhere in the booklet? I think they only credit the publishers. Unless I am missing something. 

Karol

Thanks!

It's a bummer that it does not specify which tracks have contributions from Curtis Green and/or Griffy Giacchino; We'll have to wait for the score to get uploaded to GEMA / SABAM/ BMI / ASCAP / whatever to learn that.

Also, this indicates which tracks they consider to have interpolations of Elfman/Horner material:

No interpolations (only published by Twenty Fifteen Avenue Music):

01. Intro to Fake News

02. World's Worst Friendly Neighbor

03. Damage Control

04. Being a Spider Bites

08. Ghost Fighter in the Sky / Beach Blanket Bro Down

11. Octo Gone

12. No Good Deed

13. Exit Through the Lobby

14. A Doom With a View

15. Spider Baiting

16. Liberty Parlance

17. Monster Smash

20. Goblin His Inner Demons

22. Peter Parked Picked a Perilously Precarious Profession

23. Arachnoverture

Dr Strange interpolations (also co-published by Marvel Comics Music):

05. Gone in a Flash

06. All Spell Breaks Loose

09. Strange Bedfellows

10. Sling vs Bling

21. Forget Me Knots

Elfman interpolations (also co-published by Anthem Colorful Drawings Music):

07. Otto Trouble

18. Arc Reactor

19. Shield of Pain

Horner interpolations (also co-published by Anthem New Colorful Pictures Music):

19. Shield of Pain

Some of this is.... just WRONG!

1. They say Strange's theme is in track 9.  WTF? the whole track is just the Villains theme, and Dr. Strange is not present in the scene!
  2. They say the theme at 2:23 of in 11 Octo Gone is not a reference to Doc Ock's theme
  3. They say the theme at 0:05 of 12 No Good Deed is not a reference to Dock Ock's theme either
  4. They say the theme at 0:10 and 4:29 of 19 Shield of Pain is not Dr Strange's theme... They are clearly wrong there without question!

I think whoever was put in charge of these credits either saw the word "Strange" in the title of track 9 and though his theme must therefore be in it, OR they knew his theme was in track 19 but at some point messed up and that change to track 9 by mistake and the mistake was never corrected

The track 11 and 12 business can be explained by that just being the Villain theme all along, and people wanting it to be Doc Ock's theme when it wasn't...

Giacchino wasn't at the scoring sessions in person - he had to do it remotely

Kinda strange considering it was recorded in LA

Out of curiosity, does anybody know all the choral parts, or at least what the choir is singing in the different tracks respectively? Maybe it is the mix, but I cannot make out if they are singing in a specific language (i.e. Latin)? What language was the chorus in Michael Giacchino's Doctor Strange score chanting? Maybe it is the same?

On 08/01/2022 at 11:55 AM, crocodile said:

Isn't it bit odd Danny Elfman and James Horner are not mentioned or credited anywhere in the booklet? I think they only credit the publishers. Unless I am missing something. 

Karol

Maybe to avoid maguire and garfield and other spoilers? 

A physical CD edition of this is finally up on Amazon US

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MYVXH51

And it doesn't say Import, so I guess Sony Classical decided to give it a real USA-made CD edition after all, after neglecting to do so for Far From Home.  Huh.

I order it and we'll see when it arrives it it matches the UK version Karol posted pictures of, or not

It was great that Paramount and Varese worked together to negotiate reduced AFM rates to make expansions of Giacchino's Trek trilogy happen shortly after each film came out.

It'd be great if Sony could do the same with these scores.

We're lucky Paramount doesn't have their own music label and Varese got it (even though they screwed up all 3 expansions, they are better than nothing)

5 hours ago, Jay said:

(even though they screwed up all 3 expansions, they are better than nothing)

Okay I knew of the issues with the first Trek, but what were the problems with the other two?

All three are missing music. Into Darkness just skips over the cue for Spock talking to Spock Prime for unknown reasons. Beyond mixes an insert that replaces the end of one cue and the start of the next into its proper spot in the first cue, but then the next track opens with the original opening the insert was meant to replace, so you get two versions of music for the same scene back to back (that isn't terribly different) 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

And it doesn't say Import, so I guess Sony Classical decided to give it a real USA-made CD edition after all, after neglecting to do so for Far From Home.  Huh.

I order it and we'll see when it arrives it it matches the UK version Karol posted pictures of, or not

Yeah, but they're from 3rd party sellers who import things from the UK or are in the UK shipping to the US.

Unless it says Shipped & Sold by Amazon it'll probably be the UK version.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

All three are missing music. Into Darkness just skips over the cue for Spock talking to Spock Prime for unknown reasons. Beyond mixes an insert that replaces the end of one cue and the start of the next into its proper spot in the first cue, but then the next track opens with the original opening the insert was meant to replace, so you get two versions of music for the same scene back to back (that isn't terribly different) 

Interesting. Just wondering whats the issue with the first one? One of my favorite scores

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Physical edition is in stores over here (presumably from European suppliers), and I like to think it was released due to the popularity of the film, even a month or so after its release...

24 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Interesting. Just wondering whats the issue with the first one? One of my favorite scores

It's not complete and omits the choir from several cues.

10 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

The main post of this thread lists everything they didn't include in the Deluxe Edition:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17627-michael-giacchinos-star-trek/

Luckily there was also a leak of the music for the first 2 movies

(the second right before Varese announced their STID expansion too)

Of course, I dont think the sessions would ever have been able to contain those additional drum overlays

9 hours ago, Lockdown said:

Yeah, but they're from 3rd party sellers who import things from the UK or are in the UK shipping to the US.

Unless it says Shipped & Sold by Amazon it'll probably be the UK version.

That doesn't make sense - how is it profitable for someone to buy the UK pressing of the score for £12.94 and then sell it on Amazon US for $17.01?

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Rothman (the studio exec) not Tim Roth (the actor)  lol

And yea that original choir version is on the OST album 

On 19/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, Jay said:

A statement of the Cure Theme followed by an intense choral passage would have accompanied MJ’s fall and rescue by Garfield, but it was dialed out of the final mix. 

Don't know if anyone has already said it.

But the Green Goblin theme at the beginning of Arc Reactor is not in the film. And I believe not at all.

I thought it might belong to when he shows up on the bridge but that sounds different.

Also, there's another moment in the film where a very beautiful yet playful version of Horner's Spidey theme plays. I didn't notice it before.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

the Green Goblin theme at the beginning of Arc Reactor is not in the film

It is, though 

On 19/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, Jay said:

Elfman’s Green Goblin Theme underscores a sequence of shots showing Electro obtaining electricity to charge up his arc reactor

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It is, though 

I know that that's what you said earlier. But I saw the 2 times over the last few days. And that moment starts from 00:06 on from Arc Reactor. The first 6 seconds aren't used

My physical CD edition arrived from Amazon on Wednesday.

I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MYVXH51

And it is 100% an EU import - the back cover is completely identical to this picture, including the "Made in EU" part, the Germany address, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. When I first heard his Spiderman theme with EPIC CHOIR, my first reaction was to cringe. A few listens later and eventually I warmed up to it, but I still think it's a little silly.

The best choir writing from him (which isn't saying much) is Jupiter Ascending and maybe Hope from Rogue One.

31 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Really wish Giacchino would change his style of writing for choir. It sounds so forced and over the top - it doesn't give me "epic goosebumps" like it's trying so hard to do. 

It sounds like he's trying to emulate Elfman's use of choir in the original Spider-Man movies, but do it in his own style. Kind of like how they tried to do it in Marvel's Spider-Man and even The Amazing Spider-Man to an extent. Unfortunately you just can't recreate that type of feeling again, or it will come across as a generic copycat.

The (by nature of a low budget) forced the less-is-more approach for LOST which worked great - his emotional stuff there is small, intimate and effective.

Ever since Star Trek Into Darkness with Kirk going into the reactor, the EPIC CHOIR has been in effect. It didn't work for me then and it still doesn't work for me now. So clunky.

I forgot to mention that I opened up and listened to my physical CD edition.  The booklet is huge!  20 pages, printed on very nice glossy paper.

It's almost entirely full-page pictures; You see Holland, Zendaya, Cumberbatch, Molina, and the guy who plays Ned, but no Willem Dafoe (just a pic of Goblin fully masked up), no Tomei, no Favreau, and absolutely no images of the other two Peter Parkers, Lizard, or Sandman (there's one of Electro but you can't tell it's Jamie Foxx)

The only text is the track list, the full listing of every AFM musician that played, and the credits page Crocodile posted earlier.

Overall it's nicely done, even though the glossy paper shows fingerprints like crazy and there's no note from the composer or director or anything.

I'm glad to have the trilogy in the CD format, I doubt whatever his next trilogy is will be available this way.

On 24/02/2022 at 9:41 PM, Anthony said:

The (by nature of a low budget) forced the less-is-more approach for LOST which worked great - his emotional stuff there is small, intimate and effective.

Ever since Star Trek Into Darkness with Kirk going into the reactor, the EPIC CHOIR has been in effect. It didn't work for me then and it still doesn't work for me now. So clunky.

his choir worked in some of Jupiter Ascending maybe

• 2 weeks later...