Jump to content

Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I vsnt remember, did Silvestri use Giacchino's Strange theme in his Avengers scores? 

 

Just going off memory, he didn't use the actual theme but did evoke the tone of the theme by using Asian instrumentation to sound "mystical."  Some one correct me if I'm wrong!

 

Like here:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

No

 

Confirmed!  Very briefly when it cuts to the Ancient One on the roof of the Sanctum during the Battle of New York, when Hulk shows up to get the Time Stone from her.  Funny that the only time Silvestri used the theme is for a scene without Dr. Strange in it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

In one way I'm kind of hoping he doesn't reference the older themes too heavily without first hearing what he might come up with.

There would be heavy backlash if he dropped the old Raimi themes (and for good reason)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

There would be heavy backlash* if he dropped the old Raimi themes (and for good reason)

 

*among a very small niche of a niche of a niche of an audience

 

(not saying he should drop it, just that most people wouldn't care)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Romão said:

I am honestly baffled that people keep bringing up Rogue One as a good example of Giacchino's ability to properly integrate themes by other composers...

Rogue One shouldn't be held as a positive example for anything, except for "how to make horrible variations of classic themes".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rogue One was a rush job by all accounts. It's not as good as it could've/should've been, but considering Giacchino had all of four weeks to write, orchestrate and record the thing it also could've been far worse.

 

Quote

“We’ll definitely refer to his original theme, and I’ll no doubt be coming up with new motifs for new situations and characters. I’m not going to ignore it. I don’t believe in that. There’s this weird thought process in Hollywood every time you do something new that you’ve got to let the original musical themes go and start fresh. I think that doesn’t serve an audience well. So I like doing variations on a theme that I know for a character that an audience already associates with them. I think that’s important. When I did Avengers: Age of Ultron, I was very careful to find places to play around with Alan Silvestri’s theme. And I enjoyed it.”

 

I love this quote. Elfman's right, too many composers over the years have discarded perfectly good themes by other composers when writing sequel/franchise scores. Although ironically Williams is among the worst culprits of this, throwing away much of his own great music whenever he does sequels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

 

Just going off memory, he didn't use the actual theme but did evoke the tone of the theme by using Asian instrumentation to sound "mystical."  Some one correct me if I'm wrong!

 

Like here:

 

This is another good example of that imo.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

This is another good example of that imo.

 

 

 

Definitely, and using the harpsichord just like Giacchino too.  I feel like if he's making a point of using the same distinct instrumentation as Gia, why not just quote the theme there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Silvestri seems like such a humble and down to Earth guy. I almost get the impression, though with no proof to really found it, that Silvestri feels kinda sheepish about playing with themes others have written. I think he likes to pay respect to them if possible, like with the stylistic references to Strange's score like you guys mentioned above, but he doesn't feel right playing around with a musical idea somebody else came up with out of a respect for that original composer. That's why you get tracked in cues of all those themes in Endgame that are directly lifted from previous scores and not new interpretations by him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Silvestri seems like such a humble and down to Earth guy. I almost get the impression, though with no proof to really found it, that Silvestri feels kinda sheepish about playing with themes others have written. I think he likes to pay respect to them if possible, like with the stylistic references to Strange's score like you guys mentioned above, but he doesn't feel right playing around with a musical idea somebody else came up with out of a respect for that original composer. That's why you get tracked in cues of all those themes in Endgame that are directly lifted from previous scores and not new interpretations by him. 

 

Awwww

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

If you set unreasonable expectations you're bound to be disappointed.


This is basically the MCU for me. The marketing, special effects, continuity should make for fantastic films, but the reality is they are all 7/8 out of 10 at best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Alex said:


This is basically the MCU for me. The marketing, special effects, continuity should make for fantastic films, but the reality is they are all 7/8 out of 10 at best.

Even when they try go to into new places, there's almost always that inescapable "MCU sheen".  Like eating store-brand cereal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Even when they try go to into new places, there's almost always that inescapable "MCU sheen".  Like eating store-brand cereal

 

More like Mr. Big Bucks, over here buying name brand cereal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy Thanksgiving! This poster for Spider-Man: No Way Home is by far the best one; this should be the definitive poster. I like that it has kind of a Drew Struzan inspired look to it.

 

Spider-Man_No_Way_Home_JP_Poster.jp2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/11/2021 at 11:49 AM, Romão said:

I am honestly baffled that people keep bringing up Rogue One as a good example of Giacchino's ability to properly integrate themes by other composers...

 

I like the Rogue One score for sure, but I definitely agree. He's integrated other composers' themes far better in different projects. I would say he did it much better in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. Rogue One definitely fell short of that mark by a considerable margin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Still can’t get over that godawful “Scooby Doo” line in the latest trailer.

 

73583654-EC97-463C-BEC2-D8B3013BD72D.jpeg


Poor Cumberbatch.

It's an awful line indeed. And I doubt the children who'll watch this movie will even understand that since Scooby isn't exactly famous since the last decade.

 

Let's hope he'll have better dialogue in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's an awful line indeed. And I doubt the children who'll watch this movie will even understand that since Scooby isn't exactly famous since the last decade.

 

Let's hope he'll have better dialogue in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

 

Hopefully it'll make more sense in context. Sounds like a callback joke to me, like they referenced it earlier and he's calling back to it. Not my favorite line either though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really? I didn't knew it was still popular. AFAIK, the last time Scooby was a thing was in the 90s/early 2000s, when we got the live action movies, some new shows and a lot of direct-to-DVD cartoons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My five year old also loves Scooby Doo.  She watches the old series on HBO Max and every once in a while we’ll put on one of those DTV movies, which are actually usually better than they have any right to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

My five year old also loves Scooby Doo.  She watches the old series on HBO Max and every once in a while we’ll put on one of those DTV movies, which are actually usually better than they have any right to be.

I remember that Scooby-Doo at the Zombie Island was pretty good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the MCU we know and hate love: always making jokes even at the most dramatic events.

 

Don't you remember the awful "do you wanted more?" line in the Portals scene from Endgame?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Doc Ock: "Doctor Otto Octavius"

*kids laugh*

 

Fuck the MCU for turning one of the best superhero films and villains into a bad joke. 

 

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Marvel has a large history of altering their trailers. And rumor has it...

Spoiler

That this scene will have another Peter Parker on the other end of it. The kids laugh because he says his name is Peter Parker and ask him what he actual name is.

 

No idea if the rumor is true, but the scene is horrendously edited in every piece of marketing material it's appeared and could very easily be altered.

 

Lol didn't read @HunterTech's post all the way through first oops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

Doc Ock: "Doctor Otto Octavius"

*kids laugh*

 

Fuck the MCU for turning one of the best superhero films and villains into a bad joke. 


I thought this too, but if you look closer it appears they’re actually in a different room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.